What is this giant thing i unearthed?

H

Holly_squirrel

image-719439212.jpg

So it's 3 foot if it was stretched out straight.

image-2520755975.jpg

It's got this circle thing at the

image-1426314001.jpg

Is it just a tractor part or something more? Dug it out from beside the site of a 200 plus year old farm. It's heavy iron or something and it was a good 16 inches down. Did I spend 2 hours carefully digging up scrap metal ?

Upvote 2

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it looks handmade whatever it is nice find HH

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope

Last edited:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are those two holes in the smaller end? Looks like a hand hammered hitch. Great iron save. I have gone to sites that were hit hard by other detectorists. They were nice enough to leave all the iron behind for me to find. In digging up the iron I uncovered some great finds that were being masked by the iron. And some great iron finds.You never know... Art

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be part of a colonial hearth. In their houses, they had these elaborate metal contraptions meant to be held up by hinges and this would swing back and forth over towards the fireplaces.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno, maybe part of a foundry?

Are there any markings?

HH!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

I'm not sure what you mean by tbe hand episode , but yes I have ugly working man hands... Lmao.. I'm a farm girl, cut me some slack ... Lol. I'll post a pic of my hand n face when I get a minute. :0.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These colonial trammels (couldn't think of the word earlier) were hinged over open hearths. They would have iron or brass pots hang over them and they would swing over the fire then back out. Iron was preferable to wood as the wood would burn thru. Very collectible. Not hugely expensive but people do collect these. Check out local antique stores.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

@ smokeythecat

That's what I was thinking! And I'm dying to dig up my whole yard to find the other side.. But I got old slag road under my front yard so tbe whole tbing registers as iron . And by now my neighbors must be thinking I lost my mind ... My husband says it looks like we got gophers... Lol

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gophers are wonderful. I'm going to the beach to detect on the shipwreck site tomorrow, and Saturday and Sunday. The state road was closed until just now. (Gotta love those live traffic cams). Road was overwashed by Nor'easter Saturn. Probably took the dunes and the newly planted grasses out all over again. Sandy wasted the place.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find. ya should see my yard....or whats left lol

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really looks like a wire feeder.

They would mount it on a large spool of wire by the 2 holes and thread wire through the eye at the end so that it comes off cleanly.

I'm not sure about that, but it instantly reminded me of some i've seen before on old oil rigs. Of course, most were hand made, so variations are expected.

WM

Upon further examination of the photo, I do think that was the use. It looks like they eyes was worn in a fairly circular pattern as I would expect from miles and miles of steel cable going through it.

If I were a betting man, that would be it.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is pretty cool as most of it is square stock until it hits the eye area which was hammered out round. I have an old forge. That had a little work in it not much but seems to be made for something specific. I keep thinking hearth.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barbed wire was not invented until the 19th century, if your piece dates to the 18th, then it would not be used to spool wire. But that's a really good guess. George Neuman has pics of similar pieces in his book on early American country furnishings.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barbed wire was not invented until the 19th century, if your piece dates to the 18th, then it would not be used to spool wire. But that's a really good guess. George Neuman has pics of similar pieces in his book on early American country furnishings.

No, not barbed wire. Just regular old stranded steel cable like would be used for lifting or pulling. Having strung several bajillion (give or take a few million) miles of barbed wire, I have yet to see a wire feeder used.

WM

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not me

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY JEFF GORDON YER AVITAR PIC IS LOOKIN MUCH BETTER ! NEW HAIRCUT ?----------------NICE FIND HOLLY---WOULD MAKE A NEAT OUTSIDE PLANT HANGER---HH

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a crankshaft. At an early 20th-century farm site near me there is an old manure spreader next to the barn debris pile, and it has one of those, looks just like it but a little smaller. Here, you can kinda see it in this pic I took.

crankshaft.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread