Found a beautifully engraved Rev War crossbelt on Thurs that is absolutely STUNNING!! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Found a beautifully engraved Rev War crossbelt on Thurs that is absolutely STUNNING!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonrex View Post

Revisited the Revolutionary War site where I found many French Regimental buttons last year and my super rare silver 76th Officers Bristish regimental button which won me best relic of 2012 on the CS Sentinel website. I had previously found 2 pits at this site and have now located a third. I have only just begun to dig this one out. It too appears to be roughly 5 ft by 5 ft. The best thing to come our of it Thurs morning was this brass plate featuring a fox with his paw raised as if saluting. This is etched by hand making this truly a work of art. It has the most beautiful emerald green patina that all relic hunters love to see! Everything I have found at this site has dated to 1781. Its dimensions are 2 inches by 2 inches with 5 prongs on the back suggesting it was attached to leather. I found another somewhat similar piece back about 10 yrs ago featuring a fox also but it was nowhere near the fine detail as this one. I feel, and have been told by one other well known relic hunter, that this may be a British Cross belt plate although I have not had direct confirimation from Don Troini or George Juno. There was a British naval officer in the Revolutionary War who served at Yorktown known as The Fox. I am researching this connection and looking for anyone else who may have dug a similar peice or may have suggestions as to what this is. Hopefully this pit will render some more French Regimental buttons or another coveted British officers button. Devonrex
    Very nice find do you not think it looks more like a Wolf.

SS
    steelheadwill, Don in SJ and kuger like this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    44310 times
    Relic Hunting
    Great design on the mount, it'll look awesome in a display.

Congratulations to the Winner!

Jan 2010
    New Castle NH.
    Brain eyes ears and nose
    699 times
    Working to end Western Dominator Society, Scourge of the Modern World
    Banner Finds (6)
    Great Recovery ! That's the kind of stuff I like to find Congrats. another vote here.
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

us
    Nov 2012
    Nashville
    Minelab x-Terra 505
    4985 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I likey,congrats!
    "What if it's not just another pull tab?" - Lance

“Fancy some lemonade Lance?” - Sheila

us
    DEVONREX is my name .....digging history is my FAME!!!

Jan 2012
    SE Virginia
    XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
    1260 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher View Post
    Very nice find do you not think it looks more like a Wolf.

SS
    Silver Searcher, It may very well be a wolf ............ as that thought crossed my mind to late last night as I looked at it a little closer. It has features of both. The few people I showed it to said it looked like a fox but I am beginning to wonder also. What I do know is it is awfully close to the Hessian design that was utilized in the Rev War except that the animal on their coat of arms was a lion. Below is a picture of one of 2 specimens that have been found at Yorktown. The Hessians fought on the British side and their artifacts are exceptionally rare. But as you can see the design, animal raised with arms in the same position, mouth open, tail up...........is all the same. This plate definitely was meant to represent someone (or unit) characterizing strentgth, agility, and prowess. Alll necessary in battle. Devonrex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	777096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0055.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	369.7 KB 
ID:	777097  
    Last edited by Devonrex; Apr 13, 2013 at 09:48 AM.

us
    DEVONREX is my name .....digging history is my FAME!!!

Jan 2012
    SE Virginia
    XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
    1260 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (5)
    Thankyou everyone for all the nice comments and banner votes! I must say this little relic is one of the best things I have ever dug and I think represents the history of my area in some way.
    kuger and kieser sousa/rip like this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Elmira/Corning area, NY
    Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
    44 times
    Amazing find! Congrats... If I could give it a Banner vote from my iPad I certainly would!

us
    Its not what detector you own, its what you do with it!

Apr 2011
    E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
    2245 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Very lovely cross-belt piece! Deserves banner for sure it is simply stunning! INcoming vote!

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    3139 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Amazing find!!!

This site has a similar image indexed as a family crest and has a list of surnames it has been connected to-

Antique Silver : MyFamilySilver.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Zodiacdiverdave

Mar 2011
    The North Atlantic Ocean
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
    1369 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Man if that doesn't make banner I will eat my metal detector. What an amazing recovery, but shucks I now have to re-think my bucket list. I wont one of those.
    INCOMING BNNER VOTE
    ZDD
    Living the dream

Quote Originally Posted by Devonrex View Post
    Silver Searcher, It may very well be a wolf ............ as that thought crossed my mind to late last night as I looked at it a little closer. It has features of both. The few people I showed it to said it looked like a fox but I am beginning to wonder also. What I do know is it is awfully close to the Hessian design that was utilized in the Rev War except that the animal on their coat of arms was a lion. Below is a picture of one of 2 specimens that have been found at Yorktown. The Hessians fought on the British side and their artifacts are exceptionally rare. But as you can see the design, animal raised with arms in the same position, mouth open, tail up...........is all the same. This plate definitely was meant to represent someone (or unit) characterizing strentgth, agility, and prowess. Alll necessary in battle. Devonrex
    It definetely has a livery theme to it, and was meant to stand out in the crowd...
    Many of the crest used on livery buttons descended from the crest which knights wore on top of their helmets. It enabled friend and foe to recognize each other in battle.
    From the rear attachments it looks as if it went to leather, pitty you couldn't find a button with the same crest at the site, but it would be difficult to track down a name...but you never know.

SS
    Tnmountains likes this.

Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    2461 times
    Awesome
    Scholar
    Finds2020
    Coins usables=0
    Silver= 0 pieces
    Gold= Nothing

Aug 2006
    565 times
    Amazing recovery John. Can't wait to see what else comes out. I would definitely sift that pit, iron can hide a lot of good finds.

Beautiful! Stunning is the right word....

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2790 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramblefind View Post
    Amazing find!!!

This site has a similar image indexed as a family crest and has a list of surnames it has been connected to-

Antique Silver : MyFamilySilver.com
    Bravo Bramble!!Thats near exact!!

Another fantastic find John.Lets see what happens.....you should have a long list of banner links in your column,and dont so,we will see
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links