Found a beautifully engraved Rev War crossbelt on Thurs that is absolutely STUNNING!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE! Beautifully engraved Rev War crossbelt that is STUNNING! 2 more plates added

Revisited the Revolutionary War site where I found many French Regimental buttons last year and my super rare silver 76th Officers Bristish regimental button which won me best relic of 2012 on the CS Sentinel website. I had previously found 2 pits at this site and have now located a third. I have only just begun to dig this one out. It too appears to be roughly 5 ft by 5 ft. The best thing to come our of it Thurs morning was this brass plate featuring a fox with his paw raised as if saluting. This is etched by hand making this truly a work of art. It has the most beautiful emerald green patina that all relic hunters love to see! Everything I have found at this site has dated to 1781. Its dimensions are 2 inches by 2 inches with 5 prongs on the back suggesting it was attached to leather. I found another somewhat similar piece back about 10 yrs ago featuring a fox also but it was nowhere near the fine detail as this one. I feel, and have been told by one other well known relic hunter, that this may be a British Cross belt plate although I have not had direct confirimation from Don Troini or George Juno. There was a British naval officer in the Revolutionary War who served at Yorktown known as The Fox. I am researching this connection and looking for anyone else who may have dug a similar peice or may have suggestions as to what this is. Hopefully this pit will render some more French Regimental buttons or another coveted British officers button. Devonrex

Attachments

• DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 916
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCF0060.JPG
    DSCF0060.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Upvote 46

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher, It may very well be a wolf ............ as that thought crossed my mind to late last night as I looked at it a little closer. It has features of both. The few people I showed it to said it looked like a fox but I am beginning to wonder also. What I do know is it is awfully close to the Hessian design that was utilized in the Rev War except that the animal on their coat of arms was a lion. Below is a picture of one of 2 specimens that have been found at Yorktown. The Hessians fought on the British side and their artifacts are exceptionally rare. But as you can see the design, animal raised with arms in the same position, mouth open, tail up...........is all the same. This plate definitely was meant to represent someone (or unit) characterizing strentgth, agility, and prowess. Alll necessary in battle. Devonrex
It definetely has a livery theme to it, and was meant to stand out in the crowd...
Many of the crest used on livery buttons descended from the crest which knights wore on top of their helmets. It enabled friend and foe to recognize each other in battle.
From the rear attachments it looks as if it went to leather, pitty you couldn't find a button with the same crest at the site, but it would be difficult to track down a name...but you never know.

SS

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Amazing recovery John. Can't wait to see what else comes out. I would definitely sift that pit, iron can hide a lot of good finds.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find!!!

This site has a similar image indexed as a family crest and has a list of surnames it has been connected to-

Antique Silver : MyFamilySilver.com

Bravo Bramble!!Thats near exact!!

Another fantastic find John.Lets see what happens.....you should have a long list of banner links in your column,and dont so,we will see

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an exact match on that crest, including the bar on the bottom! So, now it's time to research those troops that were there and see if any of the surnames match!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh my, what a beautiful rampant wolf mark! This thread is so inspiring!
Thanks Metro Retro and to all the others that have replied to this post........ I am 100 percent positive this relic depicts a wolf now and I'm pretty certain it is British or was worn by a soldier in the British army in 1781. Finds like this are what continue to drive me in my pursuit of uncovering history. Theres nothing like holding a relic that was last held over 2 centuries ago and was fundamental in the birth of our great nation!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find!!!

This site has a similar image indexed as a family crest and has a list of surnames it has been connected to-

Antique Silver : MyFamilySilver.com
Thanks Bramblefind. The picture is identical to what I have found and gives me plenty of names to begin my research. This proves without a doubt it is a wolf and not a fox like I had originally thought! What is so interesting is most of the names in this list are of English ancestry further pointing to a British connection! I cannot thankyou enough for the info! Devonrex

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bravo Bramble!!Thats near exact!!

Another fantastic find John.Lets see what happens.....you should have a long list of banner links in your column,and dont so,we will see
Thanks Kuger. Making the Banner would be an accomplishment but to me saving history is truly what drives me in this great hobby of ours. By saving the relics we are in a way giving recognition and paying homage to those that helped birth our great nation. Forming friendships with fellow relic hunters such as yourself is also an added bonus. Thanks for the kind words. Devonrex

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find John!! I can't wait to see what the final verdict is on the ID. Based on the 2 pits you dug last year I'm sure this one will be just as loaded. Good luck with that, and I'm looking forward to see what other awesome recoveries you make there.
Thanks Bill D. I'm hoping this pit will be just as fruitful. It already rendered some more hidden treasures today. Thanks again for the kind words! Devonrex

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Welsh Family (Price of Glangwilly) that has the Rampant Lion Crest, this family dates to the early 1700's...The Moto is.. Spes Tutissima Coelis which translated means, The surest hope is heaven.

SS

Attachments

• Price (Glangwilley) [small].JPG
    Price (Glangwilley) [small].JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 99

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on finding a great piece of history, that is stunningly beautiful. being able to see finds like this and others and read others input is the reason i decided to support this site by becoming a charter member. thanks for sharing.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wolf.JPG I knew I'd seen that image before. This is from a current listing on Ebay for a livery button marked Firmin and Sons, London. Firmin was an early English button maker.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the finds and banner. Truly in incredible shape. Looking forward to more from that pit. Hogge

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner Devonrex. That has got to be about the coolest find I've ever seen posted on this site. :thumbsup:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thrilled for you that this beautiful piece made the banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread