Found a beautifully engraved Rev War crossbelt on Thurs that is absolutely STUNNING!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE! Beautifully engraved Rev War crossbelt that is STUNNING! 2 more plates added

Revisited the Revolutionary War site where I found many French Regimental buttons last year and my super rare silver 76th Officers Bristish regimental button which won me best relic of 2012 on the CS Sentinel website. I had previously found 2 pits at this site and have now located a third. I have only just begun to dig this one out. It too appears to be roughly 5 ft by 5 ft. The best thing to come our of it Thurs morning was this brass plate featuring a fox with his paw raised as if saluting. This is etched by hand making this truly a work of art. It has the most beautiful emerald green patina that all relic hunters love to see! Everything I have found at this site has dated to 1781. Its dimensions are 2 inches by 2 inches with 5 prongs on the back suggesting it was attached to leather. I found another somewhat similar piece back about 10 yrs ago featuring a fox also but it was nowhere near the fine detail as this one. I feel, and have been told by one other well known relic hunter, that this may be a British Cross belt plate although I have not had direct confirimation from Don Troini or George Juno. There was a British naval officer in the Revolutionary War who served at Yorktown known as The Fox. I am researching this connection and looking for anyone else who may have dug a similar peice or may have suggestions as to what this is. Hopefully this pit will render some more French Regimental buttons or another coveted British officers button. Devonrex

Attachments

• DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 916
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCF0060.JPG
    DSCF0060.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Upvote 46

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. Are you getting any glass out of the pit?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful recovery and save Devonrex! I'm also proud to know it came (assuming) from Virginia soil. BTW, I have a related question. What sources do you use to research and locate Rev War sites? Thanks!

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, it is beautiful. You should buy a flag or have a flag made with that crest and fly it outside your house! Possible that it was a us soldiers crest as well. Interestingly found a Revolutionary soldier Henry Collins grave in Lake County IL north of Chicago this weekend. Not sure how he ended up in these parts dying in 1844? He was in from 1781 to 1783 and was at Yorktown.
HH

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUTSTANDING find! Congratulations on the find as well as the well deserved BANNER! Way to go :thumbsup: Breezie

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of the nicest relics I have seen dug here in the USA. It appears the concensus is that this is a British artifact. Although the site you are digging appears to be a French camp based on all the French buttons you dug, they must have had some British prisoners or captured British material there as well. It is interesting to speculate how this piece ended up in that trash pit. Maybe plunder after the fall of Yorktown?

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one of the nicest relics I have seen dug here in the USA. It appears the concensus is that this is a British artifact. Although the site you are digging appears to be a French camp based on all the French buttons you dug, they must have had some British prisoners or captured British material there as well. It is interesting to speculate how this piece ended up in that trash pit. Maybe plunder after the fall of Yorktown?
Thanks Steve for your nice words, and yes I think it was plunder after the Fall of Yorktown.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Kinda looks like my ex-girlfriend the last time i seen her high-tailing out of Florida back to R.I.:laughing7:

No but really please keep us updated on this sweet find:thumbsup:

The mystery is killing me now...

Blaze

Kev Woodward

Greenie
Apr 18, 2013
UK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great find this is and I think that it was for a horse harness, probably placed on the forehead area. It has taken longer than I had hoped to find the family that had the crest of a 'demi wolf gorged with a collar wavy' but it seems to be for the Dent family Dent Surname Meaning, Dent Name History, Dent Crests, Coat of Arms & Genealogy : MyFamilySilver.com

It could be for this guy, John Dent http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~auntjean/dent/archive/vamo00p1.jpg

Or George Dent George Dent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or Hatch Dent ?Maryland 400? helped turn Revolution?s early tide

Or William Dent http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/guilford/military/revwar/pensions/dent310gmt.txt

Great find and I have enjoyed researching it and I hope you can enjoy your find even more now you know which family it belonged to..........hopefully the fact that this info came from a limey doesn't hurt too much! :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find this is and I think that it was for a horse harness, probably placed on the forehead area. It has taken longer than I had hoped to find the family that had the crest of a 'demi wolf gorged with a collar wavy' but it seems to be for the Dent family Dent Surname Meaning, Dent Name History, Dent Crests, Coat of Arms & Genealogy : MyFamilySilver.com

It could be for this guy, John Dent http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~auntjean/dent/archive/vamo00p1.jpg

Or William Dent http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/guilford/military/revwar/pensions/dent310gmt.txt

Great find and I have enjoyed researching it and I hope you can enjoy your find even more now you know which family it belonged to..........hopefully the fact that this info came from a limey doesn't hurt too much! :icon_thumright:

Kev thank-you for your valuable input & joining this great forum. I to thought that it was horse related.

I held off congratulating the OP of this great find, until you had time to research it, so well done to the finder & I'm sure the above will lead you in the right direction. This guy is the best I know on the net for Liveries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thankyou Kevin for this valuable information. I have 2 other family crests I have found that you might be able to help me find out who the original owners were. Send me your web adress and I will send you pictures of them. Again thankyou for all the research you did. The information makes this find even more remarkable! Devonrex

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou Kevin for this valuable information. I have 2 other family crests I have found that you might be able to help me find out who the original owners were. Send me your web adress and I will send you pictures of them. Again thankyou for all the research you did. The information makes this find even more remarkable! Devonrex

https://sites.google.com/site/liverybuttonsidentified/
His site & email are here.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good question or anything else for that matter
James I have only been back once and got lots of iron but again no glassware so far. This pit has not been as fruitful as the other two but I have just begun. The landowners have been gone so that has put a damper on my digging at this site as they don't like me to go there when they are not there. I certainly do not want to upset them! Devonrex

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Crusader! Thought I'd share these with the members of TreasureNet and see if they have any input on these. I found these over the last 10 yrs. Many collectors have tried to purchase these from me but I feel they are worth alot and have great historical importance to my area. I rarely sell anything I find also. If anybody can shed some light on these plates please do so. Devonrex

Attachments

• SAM_0445.JPG
    SAM_0445.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 100
  • dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 97
  • dog 2.jpg
    dog 2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 95
  • dog 1.jpg
    dog 1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Crusader! I have two other plates with family crests I have recovered near Yorktown, Virginia which I sent to Kevin but I thought others on the TreasureNet Forum might have some imput on these. I found these over the last 10 years. Many collectors have tried to get me to sell these but I havn't because I feel they have great historical value to my town as well as monetary value. The St Bernard (or Greyhound) with ship wheel is quite large (4 1/2 in by 4 in) with 8 brass prongs or claws on the back. It was found on an early plantation site established in the mid 1600's. The arm with sword raised is also quite large (4 in by 4 in) and very heavy with 7 brass prongs or claws on the back. The sword is not broken but was cast this way. Both were found in well drained sandy soil leading to their excellent preservation state and gorgeous patina. if anyone has any input please let me hear from you! Devonrex

Attachments

• SAM_0445.JPG
    SAM_0445.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 103
  • dog 1.jpg
    dog 1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 97
  • dog 2.jpg
    dog 2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 106
  • dog.jpg
    dog.jpg