Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best laid plans and all that, I went to a yard today where research showed the house was built on a former cornfield. From my finds, I think I can see this. Bullets, bullets, bullets! I got tired digging them! But they are so diverse! Can any ammo experts lend their expertise here? Are they all modern?

IMGA3324.JPG
IMGA3325.JPG
IMGA3326.JPG
IMGA3327.JPG

Also got this shield looking thing. It was buried over 9 inches down, non-magnetic, I suspect brass, there is a remnant of design on the front but just around the edges. It's pretty sturdily made for being this thin. :dontknow:

IMGA3329.JPG
IMGA3330.JPG

It's about 1.5 inches high and 1.25 inches wide.
Any thoughts welcomed.

And, lastly, all clouds have their lining, this one was gold. :)

IMGA3331.JPG
IMGA3332.JPG

Only about 2 grams, but I ain't throwin' it back! ;)

Thanks for peeking.

HH!

Upvote 2

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt dude. The bullets seem to be a pretty wide range of age, but I'm far from an expert. The badge is really cool!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds. Your bullets range from what looks to me like civil war all the way to modern jacketed bullets. A jacketed bullet has the lead surrounded with thin copper. This cuts down on the leading on the inside of the gun barrel, and also controls the expansion of the bullet when it hits a target. There are also half jacketed bullets where the lead is in a copper cup like thing. The bade is interesting, and I wonder if it might be a saddle decoration. And of course the gold is the icing on the cake.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Your bullets range from what looks to me like civil war all the way to modern jacketed bullets. A jacketed bullet has the lead surrounded with thin copper. This cuts down on the leading on the inside of the gun barrel, and also controls the expansion of the bullet when it hits a target. There are also half jacketed bullets where the lead is in a copper cup like thing. The bade is interesting, and I wonder if it might be a saddle decoration. And of course the gold is the icing on the cake.

Forgive me, but which seem to be possible Civil War era? I thought that lead from that old would turn white in the ground.

Thanks!
HH!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree there are a variety of cast lead and jacketed slugs as well as various calibers with, maybe, some being small enough for pistols and others larger from say .22 to ~ .40 caliber. Age?? Some were involved in some solid hits while a few are still fairly round. Were you on a hill when you found them or are they just everywhere? In one location would indicate a fixed shooting range but scattered all over would be more like a battle had taken place. How far down in the ground were the bullets? Try to get an age on the necklace! Post the shield thing picture in other places for an identification and age and be careful with it but you might care to do some simple celaning of it for a better look at what is inscribed on it.............63bkpkr

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The hollow base one on the left looks like a minie ball to me. The white patina would depend on your soil. I suppose it could also be a rifled slug for a shotgun. Perhaps Cannon Ball Guy will see this post and let us know for sure what it is.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree there are a variety of cast lead and jacketed slugs as well as various calibers with, maybe, some being small enough for pistols and others larger from say .22 to ~ .40 caliber. Age?? Some were involved in some solid hits while a few are still fairly round. Were you on a hill when you found them or are they just everywhere? In one location would indicate a fixed shooting range but scattered all over would be more like a battle had taken place. How far down in the ground were the bullets? Try to get an age on the necklace! Post the shield thing picture in other places for an identification and age and be careful with it but you might care to do some simple celaning of it for a better look at what is inscribed on it.............63bkpkr

These seemed to be scattered all over and fairly flat ground. I thought about a target range but, I don't think so. Kinda strange for all the different types though. The depths weren't much but that's mostly because the ground was VERY rocky. That's partly why I was impressed by the badge thingy. It was down 9 inches in all those rocks! :) I'm planning on trying to clean it up some more.

Thanks!
HH!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool badge/shield thingy plus you found gold too! As for the bullets, I'm not the one to ask, but it almost seems like it was a range that might have been used over a very long span of time.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool badge/shield thingy plus you found gold too! As for the bullets, I'm not the one to ask, but it almost seems like it was a range that might have been used over a very long span of time.

I believe so too. The badge thingy? With Hutsitedigger's help, we've identified it as a saddle decoration.

Thanks!
HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread