Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 2

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Dan..... I LOVED that video!!! Really a good job on it. That had to be more than one house site right? Great hunt. Donnie V

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched the whole video & enjoyed it, thanks for taking the time.

I know you guys are very successful but it seemed to me you were wandering more than gridding. You would improve your finds by tight gridding. That field was small enough to cover the whole site properly. Dad & I grid about 2-3 acres a day. Think about it.:thumbsup:

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know you guys are very successful but it seemed to me you were wandering more than gridding. You would improve your finds by tight gridding. That field was small enough to cover the whole site properly. Dad & I grid about 2-3 acres a day. Think about it.:thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing. Was that part of your strategy, or just the type of footage you displayed?

Great video. I'm still watching it but enjoying it very much.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Cru - we always grid productive areas tightly, but for the purpose of this video we thought it would make for a better presentation to just wander around and pick up a few random finds. We had already gridded a good portion of this site anyway.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru - we always grid productive areas tightly, but for the purpose of this video we thought it would make for a better presentation to just wander around and pick up a few random finds. We had already gridded a good portion of this site anyway.

I thought it strange of you guys, makes more sense now. Yeah, we do it sometimes, so as to get an idea what is still left. But we are so brain washed, that we full back into line pretty quick. The results are so much better. It is funny though how many experienced detectors do just leave it to chance.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought it strange of you guys, makes more sense now. Yeah, we do it sometimes, so as to get an idea what is still left. But we are so brain washed, that we full back into line pretty quick. The results are so much better. It is funny though how many experienced detectors do just leave it to chance.

I have the same mindset as you Cru. If I'm hunting a site where there are some nice early relics I want to make absolutely sure that I don't leave ANY of them undug. That one that you leave in the ground just might be the find of a lifetime. So gridding from multiple directions, using different size coils, etc, is always the way I work a site. I don't care how many hours you spend wandering around a site you'll never come close to getting it all.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same mindset as you Cru. If I'm hunting a site where there are some nice early relics I want to make absolutely sure that I don't leave ANY of them undug. That one that you leave in the ground just might be the find of a lifetime. So gridding from multiple directions, using different size coils, etc, is always the way I work a site. I don't care how many hours you spend wandering around a site you'll never come close to getting it all.
No, we are surprised by ploughed land that we have gridded over at least 5 times still has plenty of targets. Specially if its heavy with iron, which is why over the years our tolerance levels get lower & the nails get cleared. If we miss stuff, or it gets ploughed up, when gridding, think how much we would miss otherwise.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the award for best video goes to- DAN and BILL!!!! Your knowledge of history and passion really showed there bud. What would you call the find of the hunt? Steve's ring was pretty sick (imho). Bill must be camera shy.lol. I can't thank you guy's enuff and I'm already droolin for the next show.... THANX AGAIN FELLOWS!!!!!!! HH

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And the award for best video goes to- DAN and BILL!!!! Your knowledge of history and passion really showed there bud. What would you call the find of the hunt? Steve's ring was pretty sick (imho). Bill must be camera shy.lol. I can't thank you guy's enuff and I'm already droolin for the next show.... THANX AGAIN FELLOWS!!!!!!! HH

You're absolutely right Fishtick - I'm definitely not in my comfort zone in front of a camera. Guess I need to do my talking with the F75. On the other hand, Dan is very comfortable and does a great job in that role. I was very impressed with his "performance".

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're absolutely right Fishtick - I'm definitely not in my comfort zone in front of a camera. Guess I need to do my talking with the F75. On the other hand, Dan is very comfortable and does a great job in that role. I was very impressed with his "performance".

You will NEVER see me in front of a camera, pictures are bad enough.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice video Dan. I really liked the finds you shared at the end. I've had my AT Pro about 2 years now as well and it has become my "go-to" unit, especially with that small coil. It's an amazing machine.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i-love-it.gif

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow guys! Thanks for the comments, sorry I was out of touch this weekend traveling. I think Bill answered the question perfectly about gridding. We do typically work very small and methodical areas together. Heck if you notice some of the spots I dug most my buttons at were in the same 10x10' area he he.

Next time Bill will do most of the talking...he is silent and sneaky...quiet one minute and then matched my count in buttons the next.

Dan

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They constantly speak of gridding out their properties, if you follow them as I do. lol The video was great, but they didn't show much of you Bill, was that because you weren't using a Garrett?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They constantly speak of gridding out their properties, if you follow them as I do. lol The video was great, but they didn't show much of you Bill, was that because you weren't using a Garrett?

It wasn't that Matt. I was sneaking over to my secret honey hole and loading up my goodie bag with silver while Dan was posing for the camera.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Dan, Bill told me you never shut up and now I see what he's talking about!!

Just kidding. Garrett should make you a regular co-host with Steve. You seem to know your way around that machine and you're very interesting to listen to. Great job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread