1652 Massachusetts Oak Tree Shilling! And other colonial goodies. My best hunt ever!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Today was by far by far my best detecting yet! I started detecting around 6am and right off the bat I scored 4 Indian cents in a row. Nice way to begin a marathon day of detecting. On my first return pass, I found a Draped Bust cent and a Connecticut Copper within 5 feet of each other. Another 100ft down the pass I spotted my first Indian Axe Head, which made my day! Soon after, Broken Knee arrived for a while. He made a few cool finds and decided to head to a different part of the site. I decided to stay and finish out the area I had been working. Boy am I glad did. My Deus gave me a real solid sweet sound and began to dig. I flipped the plug, grabbed some dirt and ran it over my coil. It was in my hand. I broke open the clump of dirt to see the beautiful color of old silver looking back at me, with the clear as day date of 1652! I couldn't believe it, my second Massachusetts Colonial Silver in less than a week from the same site! At first I thought it was a Pine Tree Shilling, but once I rinsed it with a little water, the Oak Tree emerged. This is by far my best coin I have ever found. I am still in shock. Does anyone know the variety?

Attachments

• ax1.jpg
    ax1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 715
  • ax2.jpg
    ax2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 720
  • ax3.jpg
    ax3.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 704
  • ax4.jpg
    ax4.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 733
  • ax5.jpg
    ax5.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 724
  • coppers.jpg
    coppers.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 808
  • oaktree1.jpg
    oaktree1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 797
  • oaktree2.jpg
    oaktree2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 778
  • oaktree5.jpg
    oaktree5.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 775
  • oaktree7.jpg
    oaktree7.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 887
  • oaktree6.jpg
    oaktree6.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 976
Upvote 79

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shame about the nibble but with such a rare coin in otherwise great condition, it doesn't detrack to much - BIG CONGRATS

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out there on Friday...I saw someone who may or may not have been detecting...you would have seen my van parked in a pretty random place...a road that stops right in the field....hopefully ill run into you one of these times.....
in all likelyhood - most stretches along the river in the valley here are probably good to find something...I don't think Im giving up any secrets....someone should try to gather all the wild claims of things found and see which are true..at least now with the message board....posting pictures helps with all of that (except for that guy who kept "finding" roman coins on a beach -just laying around..forget which state (SC?)-looked just like those lots you can buy on ebay.....if roman coins started turning up you can bet there would be aracheologists around........

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out there on Friday...I saw someone who may or may not have been detecting...you would have seen my van parked in a pretty random place...a road that stops right in the field....hopefully ill run into you one of these times.....
in all likelyhood - most stretches along the river in the valley here are probably good to find something...I don't think Im giving up any secrets....someone should try to gather all the wild claims of things found and see which are true..at least now with the message board....posting pictures helps with all of that (except for that guy who kept "finding" roman coins on a beach -just laying around..forget which state (SC?)-looked just like those lots you can buy on ebay.....if roman coins started turning up you can bet there would be aracheologists around........

Well not really (if they use their brain), because even if they were found in the ground like many others posted on here in tot lots extra, it has nothing to do with Romans.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
How Sweet It Is !!!!!!! Congrats on the Axe head and one AWESOME 1652 Mass Coin. Banner for sure :notworthy:

Bubba65

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my goodness. What an unbelievable find. They would still be giving me oxygen if I broke the dirt apart and saw that. Congrats. Suce an amazing and beautiful find.

Don
HH

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn...that is an EPIC find! You're knocking it out of the park this year!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Coin and fabulous find, congratulations on the banner, I was too late to vote you in darn it, GREAT JOB!!!

I found this link where a Noe-1 sold at auction in 2005 for $42,500, it was "Choice Almost Uncirculated", but yours in such good condition should fetch a tidy sum if you decide to sell it!!!

Stack's - 1652 Massachusetts Bay Colony. Oak Tree Shilling. Noe 1, Crosby 9-H - The John J. Ford, Jr. Collection of Massachusetts Silver Coins - 1652 & 1662 Oak Tree Coins - Oak Tree Shillings - Noe 1 Oak Tree Shilling. Crosby 9-H.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason,I have to comment,you have the passion for the hunt,and,you fullfill it! I'm glad I can hunt with you dude,wait till you get my age,14 hrs. don't cut it:laughing7:. I'm happy to see it up top where it belongs.Keep on lookin man!! GodBless Chris

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The ax will get you 2k at a museum. Coin, have you had it appraised?

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a place like that to hunt. I can't imagine how you must have felt when you pulled that out of the hole. Congrats.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Coin and fabulous find, congratulations on the banner, I was too late to vote you in darn it, GREAT JOB!!!

I found this link where a Noe-1 sold at auction in 2005 for $42,500, it was "Choice Almost Uncirculated", but yours in such good condition should fetch a tidy sum if you decide to sell it!!!

Stack's - 1652 Massachusetts Bay Colony. Oak Tree Shilling. Noe 1, Crosby 9-H - The John J. Ford, Jr. Collection of Massachusetts Silver Coins - 1652 & 1662 Oak Tree Coins - Oak Tree Shillings - Noe 1 Oak Tree Shilling. Crosby 9-H.

That price is very deceiving for many reasons. Being very high grade and part of the Ford auction would have some of the high rollers in the house and some can drop 42k without blinking an eyelid. A NOE-1 in lower grades, and especially with the issues having been dug would be a very long way from that sale. This seems to be the case with many Colonials, the big players pay crazy amounts for the best examples, but as the condition drops so do the prices, greatly in many cases.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That price is very deceiving for many reasons. Being very high grade and part of the Ford auction would have some of the high rollers in the house and some can drop 42k without blinking an eyelid. A NOE-1 in lower grades, and especially with the issues having been dug would be a very long way from that sale. This seems to be the case with many Colonials, the big players pay crazy amounts for the best examples, but as the condition drops so do the prices, greatly in many cases.
These are exactly the points we make when we see dug coins, compared to coins from collections, sold at auction. Sort of talked to Jason about this when he came to hunt with me. I do think....with condition and detail, a good price would be had at an auction. Although, he could avoid commissions with a private sale. It's a crap shoot. I do not think authenticity would be an issue. IP........If he is looking to sell, outright or in auction, do you think grading is a good idea?? Personally, I have talked to many C-4 members and they prefer to have the coin NOT encased so they can examine it. Whereas they can determine it's condition and value on their own. What is your opinion? Todd

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a day to remember! Congrats!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMGoodness a 1652 Colonial silver. . .I ought to ride up to MA and beat you with that Native American axe head! :laughing7: Seriously, you had a once in a life time day, and I say a huge CONGRATULATIONS on ALL of your finds and making a very well deserved BANNER! Way to go!!! :thumbsup: Breezie

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow now that's what dreams are made of right there. WTG on the Banner find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread