1652 Massachusetts Oak Tree Shilling! And other colonial goodies. My best hunt ever!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Today was by far by far my best detecting yet! I started detecting around 6am and right off the bat I scored 4 Indian cents in a row. Nice way to begin a marathon day of detecting. On my first return pass, I found a Draped Bust cent and a Connecticut Copper within 5 feet of each other. Another 100ft down the pass I spotted my first Indian Axe Head, which made my day! Soon after, Broken Knee arrived for a while. He made a few cool finds and decided to head to a different part of the site. I decided to stay and finish out the area I had been working. Boy am I glad did. My Deus gave me a real solid sweet sound and began to dig. I flipped the plug, grabbed some dirt and ran it over my coil. It was in my hand. I broke open the clump of dirt to see the beautiful color of old silver looking back at me, with the clear as day date of 1652! I couldn't believe it, my second Massachusetts Colonial Silver in less than a week from the same site! At first I thought it was a Pine Tree Shilling, but once I rinsed it with a little water, the Oak Tree emerged. This is by far my best coin I have ever found. I am still in shock. Does anyone know the variety?

Attachments

• ax1.jpg
    ax1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 715
  • ax2.jpg
    ax2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 720
  • ax3.jpg
    ax3.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 704
  • ax4.jpg
    ax4.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 733
  • ax5.jpg
    ax5.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 724
  • coppers.jpg
    coppers.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 808
  • oaktree1.jpg
    oaktree1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 797
  • oaktree2.jpg
    oaktree2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 778
  • oaktree5.jpg
    oaktree5.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 775
  • oaktree7.jpg
    oaktree7.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 887
  • oaktree6.jpg
    oaktree6.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 976
Upvote 79
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Unbelievable .. your find drove me out and I hit random fields from Hadley to Northfield. All we got was a buffalo nickel. Not used to potato / corn fields usually hit cellar holes in woods. Almost drove al tye way to Northampton. Just curious. . Have you ever got booted out on a nonposted field? I drag my two little ones with me and want to keep this as positive as possible. Heading back out tommorow my son wants to find another arrowhead and I need a colonial coin!

For fields, I always obtain permission. I have been kicked out of a field before, but that was because I didn't realize I had crossed a property boundary which wasn't posted. Good luck in you're hunting, just remember to avoid any planted fields and of course, fill in your holes:)

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic Oak :hello2: Your tree has nice high relief, the willows and oaks were often light there.
Big Congrats on the nicest Ma Silver I've seen recovered !!!
I got a modern gold recently, sure isn't the thrill you experience diggin Tree Silvers :laughing7:
Just read about the misidentified variety, one more reason why I've not submitted a coin yet.
Lot's of fun figuring it out yourself too,
My Oak was pretty easy to ID, the only one with 'New England' starting at 1'oclock, but it's
condition doesn't compare to yours....
Here's an example of a Noe-1 for you to compare, if you need other images of Mass Silvers
just let me know..
Keep those awesome finds Comin !! Herbie.
View attachment 787127

Thanks Herbie,
I appreciate the info. I'm always looking for new sources for research. Was you gold a coin or jewelry? I haven't found a gold coin yet. We should figure out a time this spring to get together for a hunt. PM me sometime and we can set something up! Good luck to you, I can't wait to see what your next big find is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread