A RARE 1787 CONNECTICUT HALFPENNY IN INCREDIBLE SHAPE!!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Victorian-era property I have been working this past weekend in my town has turned out to be a Colonial oasis. I have found many several Colonial firsts on this property which has been a real surprise and I believe is due to the remains of an old mill which is in the area. I will save those items for future posts, but wanted to share this incredible Connecticut halfpenny, which based on the decorator used in the die makes it rare or very rare coin to boot. It displayed on my Explorer SE Pro like a silver quarter, probably because it's in such good shape. Large coppers in northern NJ rarely if ever come out of the ground looking like this! I am also excited because it is my first colonial State copper in over twelve years of detecting. I have not nailed down the exact variety and have included photos and scans, neither of which really do the coin any justice. It is stuck off center and the date in cut in half, but due to the few years in which this coin was minted it must be a 1787 and there were over 200 varieties of this coin in that year! Please also note the die crack which goes through the letters "AUCT". This copper is the "Draped Bust" variety. Also note the very interesting look of the eye.

Attachments

• CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (obverse).JPG
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (obverse).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,173
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (reverse).JPG
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (reverse).JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,093
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (obverse).jpg
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (obverse).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,041
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (reverse).jpg
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (reverse).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 927
Upvote 53

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Darn nice coin, I bet you were smiling from ear to ear when you found it, thanks for sharing.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Eric that's in really great shape the ground has been kind to it. Very nice.congratulations buddy.Awesome

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn nice coin, I bet you were smiling from ear to ear when you found it, thanks for sharing.

Hi Brian, I didn't know what it was in the field as it was green and dirty...I didn't want to damage it and didn't recognize what I saw. I thought perhaps it was a KG. When I got home I drycleaned it in warm peroxide and very carefully restored it to the best of my ability. Once I realized what I had and saw the detail on the coin I was sure smiling from ear to ear for quite a while. In determining today that it's one of the rarer varieties of this coin I was smiling even more :) -- I'm thinking this coin is something I should have slabbed. Thanks for your post!

Last edited:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an absolutely beautiful coin! Awesome!:thumbsup:

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coin Eric!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an absolutely beautiful coin! Awesome!:thumbsup:

Thanks brother! Looking forward to nailing down the exact variety of this one. Book is on the way! There are so many varieties of the 1787, but that makes it even more interesting!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coin Eric!:occasion14:

Thanks Johnny--you being in NJ know how rough our soil can be on old copper. How this one survived in this condition after 225 years in the ground is a minor miracle! I found a KG III today on the same property today that was toasted!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Connecticut! A word of warning though, some of the varieties are very difficult to attribute. Sometimes it is just the slightest variation in the location of a punctuation mark that makes a difference. While yours has plenty of detail to attribute, it sometimes takes a practiced eye to tell the difference between varieties. Good luck!

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice Connecticut copper! Congrats.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great shape that copper is in, congrats on the find as they don't come out of the ground much better than that!
How do other copper/brass items look from the site as the soils were really kind to the coin?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice CT copper, URS-7 R, R-5 I believe which is still rare at this time, but rare in CT coppers is rather subjective, since many varieties are rare or even rarer, but still in that condition, it would be hard to top finding another one in the ground in that great of shape.
It is a 1787 Miller 37.2-k.5 variety. I hope someone else who has a book on Conn coppers can verify, but I am rather certain that is it....

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice CT copper, URS-7 R, R-5 I believe which is still rare at this time, but rare in CT coppers is rather subjective, since many varieties are rare or even rarer, but still in that condition, it would be hard to top finding another one in the ground in that great of shape.
It is a 1787 Miller 37.2-k-5 variety. I hope someone else who has a book on Conn coppers can verify, but I am rather certain that is it....

I had just got to Miller 37.1-cc.1 on the Coinfacts list (the one right before 37.2-k-5), and seeing it I knew I was close, and reloaded this page to see if you had posted to know if I should go on :)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had just got to Miller 37.1-cc.1 on the Coinfacts list (the one right before 37.2-k-5), and seeing it I knew I was close, and reloaded this page to see if you had posted to know if I should go on :)
Yeah, it is in the Whitman book, which you have to be careful using with all the errors in it, but with all the details showing so well in the photograph, it sure made it much easier to ID. I was hoping he had one of the rarer k reverses,(k.3 or k.4) but that is a good one regardless.
Here is Whitman book description on the reverse: Branch hand opposite right side of D. In date, 8 higher than other digits. Second leaf on right large and prominent.(Diagnostic)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it is in the Whitman book, which you have to be careful using with all the errors in it, but with all the details showing so well in the photograph, it sure made it much easier to ID. I was hoping he had one of the rarer k reverses,(k.3 or k.4) but that is a good one regardless.
Here is Whitman book description on the reverse: Branch hand opposite right side of D. In date, 8 higher than other digits. Second leaf on right large and prominent.(Diagnostic)

Am I going to be just a little behind you all day? lol I was just going to say the obverse is obviously right, and was going to post about the leaf to say it looks good.

HNAI US Coin Auction Catalog #1145, Stamford, CT - Heritage Auctions Inc - Google Books

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNREAL! Punctuation after "ET-LIB" mirrors M39.1-h1. The rest mirrors the "Machin Mills transitional" pieces. Possible M37.8 LL or M37.12 LL. These have the large date which I think you have. This is a tough one as I haven't seen the punctation on these pieces as of yet. It could possibly be the "LIR" VERY rare variety but the strike is so clear that the bottom of the "B" is still almost completely intact. THIS IS A GOOD 1 to try and figure out. WORK CALLS..............I'll see what Don and IP may say about this. Extremely Kool Coin! Hogge " The position of that punctuation bothers me on ID. This is going to be a good 1 to ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread