Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gatorboy, You can quell this debate VERY EASILY. First, if it is a contemporary period CFT, it's probably worth more than the real deal. Take your detector and the coin outside and put it on the ground. Now that it's extracted from the ground you should get a 90+ reading. Weight should be around 13 grams, plus or minus from what has been lost from it. I understand silver turns black, NOT only from salt water conditions, but also from being in the ground for long periods. The problem 1/2 of us have, is the chipping or flaking of the coin. As Kuger said, and I agree, I've never seen silver flake or chip, unless it's been alloyed with other metals, or plated. It may pit, or corrode, but not flake away. This would be a new one on me, but would like to be sure. Counterfeiters were very savy, especially good ones. They could take 2 real coins, melt them down, and make 3 with the right die, and alloyed metals. Making them as close in weight and diameter as possible. So if you have 50 or 60% silver content still in the coin, (hence your blackened color), they can still turn a 50% profit on all three. Upon making thousands of CFT,s.....The profit is enormous. 2 yrs. ago, my brother in-law, dug the most beautiful 8 real you ever want to see. But something wasn't quite right. The weight was different, and it made a funny sound when dropped. (there were also other differences with the coin) A coin in this condition, if regal, would sell between 75-100 on EBAY. But because it was a great looking, WELL MADE, contemporary CFT., he sold it to a fellow C-4 member for $225. I'm not totally convinced that it's CFT, but not totally convinced it's real either. Only you can tell us what you find in testing it. You have alot of knowledgeable people on here trying to figure this one out. Great Find! Hogge

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate what your saying.. as Kugar stated..he has never dealt with saltwater found coins... have you? Was the reale found in a saltwater environment?
I have what seems like alot more experience in this area than most who have commented.
The read will not always be in the nineties after over 170 years in salt.
Please just look at some shipwreck found silver.
Also.. the reeded edge on this coin required more than what was necessary to fake a smooth or even lettered edge coin.
Steam power and a sleeved die was used to do that.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate what your saying.. as Kugar stated..he has never dealt with saltwater found coins... have you? Was the reale found in a saltwater environment?
I have what seems like alot more experience in this area than most who have commented.
The read will not always be in the nineties after over 170 years in salt.
Please just look at some shipwreck found silver.
Also.. the reeded edge on this coin required more than what was necessary to fake a smooth or even lettered edge coin.
Steam power and a sleeved die was used to do that.
Have you ever seen the edge of an 8 real? Well, my brother in-laws COUNTERFEIT 8 real, had the same "chain link" design around where your reeded edge would be. And this was made 30 years prior to yours. So instead of arguing about it.......take the 1 minute and drop it on the ground....and run your detector over it. If it reads over 90.....case closed.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WRONG! If it is truly 90% silver......It WILL read over 90.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
addon-1.jpeg

addon.jpeg

file.jpeg

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1837 Capped bust half dollar was minted in 89.2% silver and 10.8% copper.
Just want to point that out to you.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1837 Capped bust half dollar was minted in 89.2% silver and 10.8% copper.
Just want to point that out to you.
I don't know of a detector out on the market today, that gives readings in the "tenth" of a percent. Maybe some years from now, they will be that precise, but I know my T-2 SE doesn't. You're splitting hairs. Ok...OK.... I'll give you 2% to 87. Now why won't you test it??:dontknow:

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this dime online that had also been dug in saltwater

Scouts out!

Attachments

• image-171648886.jpg
    image-171648886.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 96

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a trick for removing the black from an old silver coin--wet the coin and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil. It should start to get warm and will smell like rotten eggs. Then wash with soap and water. Repeat till the coin is silver again.

It's a great find whether it's silver or a contemporary counterfeit! Congrats!

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know of a detector out on the market today, that gives readings in the "tenth" of a percent. Maybe some years from now, they will be that precise, but I know my T-2 SE doesn't. You're splitting hairs. Ok...OK.... I'll give you 2% to 87. Now why won't you test it??:dontknow:

I already did that I don't really owe you an answer but it reads between 86 and 88 on several passes.. which is normal.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wasn't stating my detector reading just giving you the facts on the coin you want to debate.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Simply shared one of my finds.. if its going to turn into this kind of crap ... I have better things to do.
I don't need any of your " expertise".. I have plenty of my own.
If I had a question I would have asked.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting flooded by comments from people who have never recovered a single saltwater silver in thier lives.. thanks but no thanks.
H.H.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also.. that's not a dirt clod I removed from the coin.
Its a crust of silver oxide that happens when saltwater reacts with silver.
Every bit of silver oxide present represents missing silver content in the coin.

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that black sand.. you said it all right there.
Thanks everyone!
Kinda sucked posting something I was really happy about just to have a bunch of people that didn't really know what they were saying..screaming fake..LOL.

Actually, they weren't "screaming fake" just contemporary counterfeit. There is a BIG difference there.

But those of us who know, know saltwater silver when we see it. ;)

Cheers,

Buck

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a trick for removing the black from an old silver coin--wet the coin and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil. It should start to get warm and will smell like rotten eggs. Then wash with soap and water. Repeat till the coin is silver again.

It's a great find whether it's silver or a contemporary counterfeit! Congrats!

Light electrolysis works great too.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Buck and Bill.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK...I guess I learned a few things from this post. First....What salt water does to a silver coin. And second.....Do not hunt where salt water is, if I am looking for coins. I know that the ocean is a hot bed for newer jewelry, recently dropped coins, and stuff of that nature, and where treasure from shipwrecks has washed ashore. But I'll take an old cellar hole inland anytime. Trust me, I am NOT busting on your find by any means. I still think it is a nice find. But say it was an 1836, rare date bust half? It would be worth the same as what you have in front of you now. About $10 in scrap silver because of the damage. What an absolute shame that would be. It's just the reality of hunting the salt water I guess. IMO....If I lived near the coast I would probably spend more time slightly inland. It's a shame to see a coin like that wasted by salt water. That would be very discouraging to me. Anyways....Thanks for the tutorial and, as a fellow T-Netter, I wish you luck. No hard feelings................ Sincerely Hogge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions