🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was telling a work buddy in CT about Metal Detecting and he seemed interested and wanted to give it a try. So on my monthly business trip to CT this week, I brought a couple of my metal detectors with me. After work today we headed to his house which was built in the 1940's. We only had a couple hours of daylight left so after a 5 minute demo on how to operate it, he was off hunting. Within minutes he had dug a wheat cent. After an hour or so we each had a handful of clad, aluminum and assorted other items. I was telling him I hoped we would find some silver as I was digging a target that turned out to be a 1939 Mercury dime. I have found numerous Barber and silver Roosevelt dimes, but somehow the Mercury dime eluded me until today! Shortly after he dug a 1910-1960 Boy Scouts 50th Anniversary Commemorative Medallion which was pretty cool. With daylight running out I dug a 1952 quarter. We had a good short hunt and we only scraped the surface so we will be back. My buddy is hooked now! I offered up my equipment anytime he wanted to go, but I have a feeling he will be in the market for his own Metal Detector soon. Success! ha

IMG_20130515_211442_556.jpg

Upvote 7

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool on the silver

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet digs! the detecting bug bit him huh

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's nice! I can't tell you how many mercs before I finally hit a barber dime...

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's nice! I can't tell you how many mercs before I finally hit a barber dime...

My first Barber Dime had two friends in the hole with her! It was a 3 Barber Dime spill and they were all in nearly uncirculated condition. Funny how that works... chances are I've walked over Mercurys in the past! I was the most excited about the Mercury yesterday just because I haven't been able to find one yet. haha

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread