Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out with DiggerGirl to do some hunting in a spot that hasn't given us much so far. It was a little wet, and the mud was soup in the bottom of the sugar cane rows. That didn't deter us. We persisted through the slop after starting with a couple turn rows. :)

DiggerGirl was the first to score with a nice nickel. 1884 V nickel in decent shape. Then she scored a flat button and I got a piece of a spur. The spur looks like it had a duck, snake, or dog head on it where the neck terminated in the rowel. Interesting!

We then got a couple Civil War bullets, and I walked up on an Eagle Button right in the top of the row. My last great dig was an 1853-O with arrows Seated Half Dime, then DG dug a cuff button that appears to be a cuff sized 1840s Navy button with fouled vertical anchor and eagle on top, lined background and a rope border were dead giveaways. In Tice's book, this button is closest to the cuff version of NA203A9. I hope you enjoy the video and photos.

Here's the freshly dug Eagle Button (GS). (I actually dug a Scovill Waterbury back (missing the front) that is the same size as this one, so that is a great sign too.)

eagle hand.JPG

And the half dime in the sticky mud:

HD hand.JPG

DiggerGirl smiling with her pre-CW Navy Cuff Button:

DG.JPG

And her nice 1884 V:

V nickel.JPG

Here's the strange spur that I dug. If anyone has seen this style before, please chime in.

spur side.JPG

spur top.JPG

I also recovered this blue glass bead. I'm not sure these would qualify as "trade beads," but perhaps someone in the trade artifacts forum can give me some more information. This one looks blown or tooled in some way (the swirl mark only appears on one end of the bead). I have recovered several legitimate trade beads (russian blues and a green), but I've also found several like this one in pre-CW sites:

Bead.JPG

And of course the 1853-O half dime will add nicely to the totals for 2013. :)

HD obv.JPG

HD rev.JPG

All my finds:

all my finds.JPG

A bone-handled pocketknife that had some of the handle still surviving.

HPIM4054.JPG

And DiggerGirl's Navy Cuff button:

Navy Cuff.JPG

Best Wishes and HH,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 12

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and them Spurs!!!!Fantastic digs you two!!!I love that button,I dug my first of that style this last season myself!Not real common type

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and them Spurs!!!!Fantastic digs you two!!!I love that button,I dug my first of that style this last season myself!Not real common type

Yeah, it'd be really nice to find enough of one to have all the pieces! But that'll take three plow cycles in our fields, so at least 6 more years.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Casper! :)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt guys. I'm sure you'll be able to sniff out a colonial silver on your next outing to keep your hot streak going. BTW - I'm surprised you're still allowed to hunt with the crop coming in like that. That's what shut me down almost a month ago.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt guys. I'm sure you'll be able to sniff out a colonial silver on your next outing to keep your hot streak going. BTW - I'm surprised you're still allowed to hunt with the crop coming in like that. That's what shut me down almost a month ago.

There is so much space between the rows to detect (five feet or so), that the farmers let us detect until the cane gets tall and starts to overhang the rows. Some farmers are picky about it, so we don't. But we always ask.

I'm hoping we can come up with a couple Reales soon, but won't complain about seated coins. I like finding the New Orleans minted ones. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still ROLLING...

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great hunt with some Awesome Finds! Great job you two :icon_thumleft:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed the video Will....but that is one huge field, I would'nt know were to start on that one.

SS

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your 3rd 1853 HD BB. That "V" is an uncommonly strong strike for that coin type. Diggergirl looks Chic in that Boonie hat. Stay hydrated & good hunting, Q.

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome digs dg!!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see your still KILLIN it BB!!!! Jealous as always.. CONGRATS.. HH

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys had a great day. Great finds!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your 3rd 1853 HD BB. That "V" is an uncommonly strong strike for that coin type. Diggergirl looks Chic in that Boonie hat. Stay hydrated & good hunting, Q.

It's all in the cleaning method on that V nickel. Now granted, it's in good shape, dropped before it was very worn...but I've made a new video for cleaning of nickels that shows how I do it. Thanks for your reply my friend. You ready for you and Dman's second LA visit? Sure you don't want to come in summer? We're about to serve up an appetizer of West Nile!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think we are more Winter people BB. However, here's Doug today at a huge local 3 day yard sale with his wares for sale in the background. Reckon Diggergirl would let him borrow her Boonie hat? We are tempted to come down this summer with the great finds you are coming up with my friend. You are on a really good site where anything may surface. HH, Q.

Attachments

• dscn0616 (640x480).jpg
    dscn0616 (640x480).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 72

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread