My First Brass Heel Plate With Heart! Also, A Little Bit Of Old Gold!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally got my coil over a brass heel plate today. I am super excited to cross this one off the list. I still have 4 big ones on the list(Hillsborough button, gold class ring, gold coin, and silver dollar). I figured I would get one someday, but 5 years later, here it is. Today, I took a long time friend on his first ever MD outing. He found a flat button, 1906 indian, and a complete shoe buckle on his first day....not many folks can say that! The ring at the bottom is gold plated, but it is THICK and OLDDD. It is shaped like rings were shaped in the early to mid 1800s. The gold is peeling off of the bottom, and I would estimate it to be .2 grams of recoverable gold. My finds are pictured below:

IMAG0560.jpg
Freshly dug
IMAG0562.jpg
Dry cleaned to preserve what metal is left
IMAG0563.jpg
shoe buckle fragment and brass parasol slide
IMAG0564.jpg
gold plated bracelet
IMAG0565.jpg
Four great flat buttons <standard gilt, quality gilt, and best plated>
IMAG0566.jpg
Is this a scale, or coin weight? has three marks and otherwise is perfectly symetrical. Weighs five grams.
IMAG0568.jpg
The gold ring....not marked, solder joint facing.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds -
a big misconception about those heel plates - a lot of guys think they were off of CW boots - we find heart, spade, and clover ones in New england all the time - these are definetly not CW ones up here - so though some may be found in a CW camp - they are off common foot wear usually
Ive have found mens size ones - woman size ones and kids size ones in farm fields up here

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some super finds there NC. I am really interested in the possible coin weight, I found one just like it earlier this year and thought it may be a coin wieght as well. What kind of marks can you see one yours?

Edit: Sorry I just klicked on the pick and now I can see the marks. My wieght has 3 similar marks across one side and by the looks of it, it is the same size 7/16" x 3/4" x 1/8" thick.
ZDD

Last edited:
OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@ ZDDave, the marks appear to be three numeral I's beside one anothee?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ ZDDave, the marks appear to be three numeral I's beside one anothee?
I will post a pic of mine in the what is it forum with a link to this post and hopefully some one will ID them.
ZDD

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi found, nice heel plate there:treasurechest: , they are good finds in my book regardless of origins, so far I have found one total ! So they are definitely not easy to find. Third picture down round item with slots, is an umbrella part FYI, just in case ya didn't know 8-) Nice digs there brother!

CARM

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread