🥇 BANNER 1814 E/A Capped Bust Half Dollar

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi All,

Went out for a short hunt with my kids today. Was using my new T2SE detector which I like a lot. About 15 minutes into the hunt got a decent signal and dug down to dig up the Batmobile, which was a real cool find. It was made by Corgi but don't know the year it was made so if anyone knows that would be cool to hear. Anyways after about a half hour of hunting I got a bouncing signal between 77 up to 95 on the machine. At about 7 inches out came the Half Dollar which was real sweet to find. I told my kids if we don't get anything good for the day, that with that one find we made our day. There was a lot of high fives going on for sure. After that find we dug a few handle parts from old utensils. Just before it was time to go I got a nice 77 signal on the detector. I dug down about 5 inches and out popped the spur which was real cool for sure to find.

After getting home and cleaning up all the finds. I noticed that the Capped Bust is the E over A variety which was cool. Also I noticed that William Eno signed the front of the coin. He was born in 1800 and lived in the house. Probably value wide it hurt the coin, but I think it is really cool that it was signed by an early occupant of the house. Well thanks for reading and looking.

Bubba65

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 645
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    993.2 KB · Views: 795
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 792
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 656
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 706
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 1,907
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,366
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 695
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 600
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 526
Upvote 48

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm jealous....lol. That is one sweet coin. Whether with or with-out the signature, that half is one special find and one I barely even dream of finding....sigh. Happy Hunting. I'd hit that spot hard and slow, take your time and it's a safe bet you will come up with some more great finds. Probably some (more) mighty sweet coins hiding out there.

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would die for one of those

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a very cool historically grounded find! I wonder why the guy scratched his name on the coin--not sure I've ever seen that before? Maybe a lucky coin that he was unlucky enough to lose (??).

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
personally for a keepsake its a awesome find, ... although the signature may decrease the value quite significantly. A counter stamp on the other hand would be a different story, but im afraid at a professional dealers standpoint that would most likely list as a scratched or damaged coin. the batmobile and spur might be worth some research, great variety of finds :thumbsup:

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing half! Nice find!!

jackc

Jun 24, 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would have made my year for sure! awesome silver half, amazing find! great job!:notworthy:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
owner signature bust half seems to be a a T Net first , Congrats

nice dig the Batmobile :icon_biggrin:

DAWG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has a big cool factor to it, as it links up some history to the owner of the coin.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
personally for a keepsake its a awesome find, ... although the signature may decrease the value quite significantly. A counter stamp on the other hand would be a different story, but im afraid at a professional dealers standpoint that would most likely list as a scratched or damaged coin. the batmobile and spur might be worth some research, great variety of finds :thumbsup:
Thanks, for me with it being signed gives it an awesome historical value. He was a very successful lawyer in the 1800's and the family law office still stands on the property to this day.

Bubba65

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That signed capped bust half is a very unique item, you did great recovering it! :treasurechest: The spur and the bat-mobile are cool items also what a day that must have been =)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any capped bust half should be on the banner! And a superb spur to boot- congrats on a great hunt!

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin! I would love to see something like that in the hole!

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, is that William Eno, the "Father of Traffic Safety"?

Couple of cool links on him:
William Phelps Eno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

snopes.com: William Phelps Eno - The Father of Traffic Safety

Just curious if it's the same guy. Might be worth something signed if it's associated with him?

- Bill

Afraid its not the same guy. According to Wikipedia, William Phelps Eno was born in 1858. The coin was minted in 1814. Maybe William Phelps Eno is a descendant of the coin signer. Eno is a pretty uncommon name! Definitely worth investigating.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread