🥇 BANNER 1814 E/A Capped Bust Half Dollar

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi All,

Went out for a short hunt with my kids today. Was using my new T2SE detector which I like a lot. About 15 minutes into the hunt got a decent signal and dug down to dig up the Batmobile, which was a real cool find. It was made by Corgi but don't know the year it was made so if anyone knows that would be cool to hear. Anyways after about a half hour of hunting I got a bouncing signal between 77 up to 95 on the machine. At about 7 inches out came the Half Dollar which was real sweet to find. I told my kids if we don't get anything good for the day, that with that one find we made our day. There was a lot of high fives going on for sure. After that find we dug a few handle parts from old utensils. Just before it was time to go I got a nice 77 signal on the detector. I dug down about 5 inches and out popped the spur which was real cool for sure to find.

After getting home and cleaning up all the finds. I noticed that the Capped Bust is the E over A variety which was cool. Also I noticed that William Eno signed the front of the coin. He was born in 1800 and lived in the house. Probably value wide it hurt the coin, but I think it is really cool that it was signed by an early occupant of the house. Well thanks for reading and looking.

Bubba65

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 648
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    993.2 KB · Views: 796
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 793
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 657
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 707
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 527
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 601
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 696
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,368
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 1,909
Upvote 48

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, so he couldn't have signed a 44 year old coin? I've got a quarter from 1969 sitting on my desk (why can't it be a silver 1964!!). So I think it could happen...

Unless I'm totally confused?

Though unlikely, I guess it really is a possibility! Since this particular coin is in great shape, however, the coin would have needed to stay out of circulation for a half century or so until William Phelps Eno was old enough to sign his name on it. Silver coins wear down a lot quicker than clad coins (like your 1969 quarter) do. In any event, great research lumbergh! There certainly may be a connection there.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bubba, this is the kind of find that keeps us all motivated. I found my first seated half this year and can't wait to find my first bust half. (notice I said first) Call me an optimist, but I know that bust halves were one of the most widely circulated coins of the era as they didn't make dollars from 1804 to 1836. As a result, it was the bust half that was commonly used. I'm just waiting to find my first one and it's nice to see they're out there. GREAT FIND!

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though unlikely, I guess it really is a possibility! Since this particular coin is in great shape, however, the coin would have needed to stay out of circulation for a half century or so until William Phelps Eno was old enough to sign his name on it. Silver coins wear down a lot quicker than clad coins (like your 1969 quarter) do. In any event, great research lumbergh! There certainly may be a connection there.

Hi Terp,
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. Agree it's prob not the same guy. But interesting anyway.

Would be really interesting to hear from Bubba65 if he was on land owned by the family.

- Bill

OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi Terp,
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. Agree it's prob not the same guy. But interesting anyway.

Would be really interesting to hear from Bubba65 if he was on land owned by the family.

- Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes that is the really neat thing about this find beside it being a Capped Bust Dollar. The guy that signed this coins family owned the house from the beginning of it's existence. I am trying to look into what your idea said and see if they were related some how to each other.:icon_scratch:

Bubba65

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bill,

Yes that is the really neat thing about this find beside it being a Capped Bust Dollar. The guy that signed this coins family owned the house from the beginning of it's existence. I am trying to look into what your idea said and see if they were related some how to each other.:icon_scratch:

Bubba65

Hi Bubba,

Cool. I found a little more info on William Phelps Eno:
Born in New York, New York on 3 June 1858
Died in Washington, DC, on 3 Dec 1945.

Married Marie Louise "Alice" (Rathbone) on 4 Apr 1883 in New Orleans, LA.

His father's name was Amos Richards Eno, he lived from 1 Nov 1810 (Hartford, CT) to 21 Feb 1898 (New York).

He lived in Saugatuck Village, in Fairfield County, CT, in 1900.

If none of those locations matches yours, I'm guessing it's not the same guy.

Good luck! Great find, regardless!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi Bubba,

Cool. I found a little more info on William Phelps Eno:
Born in New York, New York on 3 June 1858
Died in Washington, DC, on 3 Dec 1945.

Married Marie Louise "Alice" (Rathbone) on 4 Apr 1883 in New Orleans, LA.

His father's name was Amos Richards Eno, he lived from 1 Nov 1810 (Hartford, CT) to 21 Feb 1898 (New York).

He lived in Saugatuck Village, in Fairfield County, CT, in 1900.

If none of those locations matches yours, I'm guessing it's not the same guy.

Good luck! Great find, regardless!

Hi Bill, thanks for the research, but I think that the family you talked about is not related to the guy on the coin. Thanks for the idea.

Bubba65

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking half! My goal is to find a seated coin and you found a bust! That is freaking awesome. and a variety to boot looks like a $300 coin. Congrats!

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bill, thanks for the research, but I think that the family you talked about is not related to the guy on the coin. Thanks for the idea.

Bubba65

Oh well, too bad. It was an odd enough name that I thought there could be a connection!

- Bill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolute Stunner :thumbsup:
Congrats on a really nice example of old US silver. The signature and error variety make it even more special !! Banner vote IN :occasion14:

Last edited:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a really nice example of old US silver. The signature and error variety make it even more special !! Banner vote IN :occasion14:

Absolutely agreed. In my view this is a banner find all day long!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! I'm dying to find one of those! Great job!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner vote has gone in. Extremely nice coin with a personal touch.
Nice find on the spur too.
ZDD

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool is that and the signature just adds to it in my opinion. Congratulations on the "Banner".

Great hunt!

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! COngrats on some sweet finds, I'm lovin' that Capped Half

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
seatedhalf.jpg seatedhalf2.jpg seatedhalf3.jpg seatedhalf4.jpg
Wow, look at that, an 1814 Capped Bust Half. Can you believe it! Especially with those realistic dirt photos! Ridiculous. I wonder why my 1877 Seated came out of the ground looking so different? Just not lucky, I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds

Thanks a lot Herbie and for the Banner Vote.

Bubba65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread