First US Plate! Lots of Brass! And a Short Fort Story.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006

The Sgt. rolled out of bed, mouth dry, sour taste from too much bourbon. Believing he might be sick, he wretched towards the flimsy pine door. Flask clutched tightly, he turned the knob, creaking hinges giving way to core chilling wind and pelting snow, stinging his exposed flesh like molten bees. He staggered outside, stumbled over a shivering dog and toppled headlong into the soup of mud, horse piss and ice crystals which comprised all footpaths. The flasks putter spout crushed beneath his weight, leaking the last of its precious cargo into the earth. He reached down, clawing the broken vessel from beneath him. The feel of the smooth metal flashed him back momentarily to a long muddy Virginia march 2 years earlier, where he had eyed the flask protruding from a gnarled knap sack still clinging to a gut shot Confederate corporal, stiff and twisted, eyes open skyward, half submerged in a ditch swollen with lasts nights rain. He abandoned his sullen comrades to retrieve the prize and as an afterthought dislodged the small oval US buckle from the dead mans frayed belt. Back to reality, he noticed a chuckling guard 5 chains distance, marching in place in a futile attempt to milk any possible heat from the movement. Still sprawled out, he watched as the guard discarded damp .58 cartridges into a lead sealed bean can nestled in the dying embers of his fire. The Sgt. rose from the mud bedraggled; wet and suddenly sober he pitched the still corked, now worthless iron flask into the guards fire. In the morning he realized the absence of his belt buckle, which now lay where he had fallen, in a shallow grave under inches of fresh snow; Gone his last physical memory of the Great War between The States.
It was 1866, today he would kill Indians.

Obviously this account is a figment of my imagination; I will never know the circumstances leading a can full of melted bullets and an iron flask to end up in the same small fire within 5 feet of a Baby US buckle. All I know is that they were there and as a relic hunter its fun to imagine the provenance of our finds. Based on the history, terrain, and other finds from the site including sleigh bells, and large quantities of broken whiskey and bitters bottles, I do know that it was very cold and they drank a lot. Anyway, these finds represent my last 2 hunts. My brother and I found 2 fire pits. In the first picture, aside from the bullets, the majority of the brass including buttons, powder flask top and pack parts came to light from the first pit in a small ash layer. The second pit, we discovered during out last hunt when Scott picked up an unusually heavy ration can, half submerged in ashy dirt. The can was filled with melted .58 minie balls. This pit yielded another half an epaulette, eagle buttons including a beautiful GS gilted cuff, Infantry and Cavalry as well as some pack brass and a broken iron flask with a crushed pewter spout still corked . About 5 feet away I was kicking around in the dirt and noticed several square nails. I decided to put a couple of shovels full through the sifter and the baby US plate came up face down with both hooks. I hit the back of it with the shovel; otherwise it would have been perfect. Hard to be too upset, when I never knew it was there. Thanks for sharing my first US plate and random narrative! Happy Hunting.
-Evan

Attachments

• IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 10

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet relics. excellent plate, and wow that one button sure has a lot of gilt!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent finds!

StoneyRun

Mar 10, 2013
S.W. Missouri
Detector(s) used
old faithful Radio Shack
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story, may be close to the truth. Good finds

Cheri

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat story Evan. Congrats on your first plate and I especially like the can of lead! Also, the gilt on that button is amazing!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravo Ev!!!Hey your flask is a Powder Can,as in Blackpowder :thumbsup:

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for the ID man. I will try to figure out what is embossed on the spout. The top is so similar to a canteen spout that I figured it had to be for drinking.
-Ev

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
me thinks you found remnants of the sgt and and a couple of his buds and the Indians killed them and packed the booty to their camp...just a thought...

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Kuger hit the nail on the head. That's a powder can. They came in various shapes as indicated by the pictures.
powder can.jpg powder can1.JPG powder can2.JPG powder can3.JPG

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC stuff! Congratulations on some killer finds. That can full of lead is certainly interesting! The buckle is gorgeous.

-Buck

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going Evan! That spot has really been kind to you guys. Looking forward to your article summarizing all your artifacts that have been dug at this site. And congrats on finally getting that elusive plate.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for the nice comments. If anyone has any idea what is embossed on the pewter spout, I would be happy to know. Its in the second set of pics within the post responses. Thanks.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic finds. It's an expression that others use here, but you need to hunt that site until you drop.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
On the powder can's neck it looks like the last four letters are "COPY," which could be the abbreviation for company. In front of that should
be the name of the company. I see an N in that line of letters, and a fellow named Dupont came to America from France, and discovered that
he had a better method of manufacturing black powder. I think that dates back to the revolution or before, anyhow it was a long time ago.
See if you can see enough letters to piece Dupont together. I just checked and Dupont started making gun powder in 1803
in their Brandywine plant. They made powder there until 1923.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread