For those interested in colonial cuff links (or "linked buttons") check this out

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
For those interested in colonial cuff links (or "linked buttons") check this out

Just click on the link below and let the large file upload. All kind of good info including pics, dates, descriptions, etc. Great resource for those interested in this kind of thing, and may help you ID and/or date some of your finds.

http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/SmallFinds/SleeveButtons-Cufflinks-Studs/Linked Buttons.pdf

Or for all things colonial try this:

http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/SmallFinds/index-SmallFinds.html

Last edited:
Upvote 2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a thumbs_up.jpg THANKS BILL

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Resource

Bill, that website from Maryland is very informative for finding info. on cufflinks, leather mounts, etc. I started going over that paper on cufflinks but still need to finish it. Hmmmmm? Why would I be researching so intently on cufflinks? Will post soon. Been busy with research, digging, paying the bills, and family stuff (not necessarily in that order).

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, that website from Maryland is very informative for finding info. on cufflinks, leather mounts, etc. I started going over that paper on cufflinks but still need to finish it. Hmmmmm? Why would I be researching so intently on cufflinks? Will post soon. Been busy with research, digging, paying the bills, and family stuff (not necessarily in that order).

I can't wait much longer Jim. I'll be looking for your post very soon.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great site Bill - I see lots of items I need to go back through cases on as well. Looking forward to both of us using that site this year!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good resource. I've yet to check it all to see if my knowledge lines up with theirs. However, I pleased to see those 'Crown over Heart' type of cufflinks have an 18th C date which is what I've always said. Even sometimes the British Museum have these are 17th C.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bill, one can't have enough resource material for ID purposes.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic resource there Bill, I was amazed when I looked at the Glossary, in the newspaper references it has many listings of lost gold and silver linked buttons. There has to be many many more out there waiting to be discovered. Now if that doesn't get your Moe-Joe flowing I don't know what will.
I also liked that link to the Maryland Museum. Lots of good info there as well.
ZDD

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good link on the cufflinks, nice to see I have several of them that are in the figures. :) (But always hoping to find more!)
Don

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good resource. I've yet to check it all to see if my knowledge lines up with theirs. However, I pleased to see those 'Crown over Heart' type of cufflinks have an 18th C date which is what I've always said. Even sometimes the British Museum have these are 17th C.:thumbsup:

PS. I never knew they wore some as a top button/fitting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread