ericthedigger

Mar 2, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's MXTpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting button find "G. IV", "THE KING'S"- need some id help

I found this button in Essex County, Massachusetts last week in an area where I have found coins dating as far back as 1803. I thought the back was just plain until I took a second look yesterday and realized there was writing. I’ve been searching through a mountain of buttons from the same time period but cannot find anything similar. It reads, “ G. IV” along the top- interrupted by a crown symbol, and “ THE KING'S” along the bottom. Since George IV only reigned from 1820-1830, I’m assuming it falls within that range. Can anyone tell me more about this button? I’d love to know what kind of button this was and who it was typically worn by. Does the design on the front mean anything? Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• The Kings.jpg
    The Kings.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 613
  • The Kings 2.jpg
    The Kings 2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 578
Upvote 5

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, think you have it. King George IV, front doesn't mean anything, but the back probably serves as being a patriotic piece, much the same as something like a Jackson backmark.... just on a much lower level of interest of course. The American ones probably lean more as political types, than patriotic, as they seemed to have been issued right around the elections. The George IV I'm not so sure would be the case, so think more of it as patriotic.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need better picture of front & back but I'm leaning towards the Kings Regiment (Liverpool).

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been told for years that those wave pattern ones are patriotic - seen them on sites as that and for sale as that
and from other TH'ers as that - don't know for sure - but mine is in a display with other good buttons

OP
OP
E

ericthedigger

Mar 2, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's MXTpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for the info! I'd love to see if anyone finds another..... let me know!

GoldingDeus

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, just to let you know I have found the same button. �� image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
OP
E

ericthedigger

Mar 2, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's MXTpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great! Where did you find it!? I've rechecked the area I found mine in many times over but nothing new.

Student of History

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Nautillus DMC 2B
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possible I.D. for Ericthedigger

I know this is an older post, but I found an identical as the two shown on this thread. the one I have is a non-dug button, I got it along with a lot of flat buttons i bought at a local flea market in New Hampshire. I am doing a long term study identifying one-piece merchant marked flat buttons so I decided to research this one as well. I believe I have an I.d. for Ericthedigger from Mass.

I believe that this button which is a one piece of waistcoat size was commissioned as a commemorative button by members o f the 51st Regiment "King's Own" Yorkshire Light Infantry. When I researched this button i found several Regiments which bore the "King's Own" designation, but only one of them was awarded that title by King George IV. He was a patron of the 51st, and conferred the honor upon the Regiment shortly before it was shipped out for overseas duty for the following 38 years.

Reference: 51st (Second West Yorkshire) The King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Regiment, Nickname: KOYLI
On 11 Feb 1821, King George IV Conferred the Honor and title of “King’s Own” upon the 51st Light Infantry Regiment. Ref: Services of the Fifty-First (Second West York), “The King’s Own Light Infantry” Regiment, by W. Wheater, London, 1870, pub: Longman’s, green & Co.

The wavy lines on the front may be meaningless but I do know that in heraldic terms wavy lines signify Water or the Sea, and linking that with the fact that the Regiment shipped out shortly after gaining the title of "King's Own" , it may be a allusion to duty Overseas. The buttons were probably offered to interested members of the regiment to wear on thier undress, Civilian Waistcoats.

The buttons found in the United States were probably carried over by English immigrants.

If you ever need an I.d. of a flat button that has the name of a merchant or outfitter on it, I will be glad to I.d. it as I am actively looking for new backmarks to document.

Bob G_IV_The King's.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet relic recovery, congratulations! :occasion14:

Student of History

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Nautillus DMC 2B
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the kind words Professor,

I too am in Massachusetts, I live in the town of Shirley.
Lots of great old items come out of the ground here and in the nearby towns.

Bob

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found several of the wave pattern buttons at one of my sites, but with a different back mark. Mine have a crown over "TREBLE LONDON". I always wondered if they were something special. I have found a different style button with the "G (crown) IV" over "The King's" backmark. It has a spiral pattern on the front. Any ideas on that one?

Attachments

• wave4.jpg
    wave4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 96
  • wave3.jpg
    wave3.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 80
  • wave2.jpg
    wave2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 97
  • wave1.jpg
    wave1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 89
  • wave5.jpg
    wave5.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 83

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several of the wave pattern buttons at one of my sites, but with a different back mark. Mine have a crown over "TREBLE LONDON". I always wondered if they were something special. I have found a different style button with the "G (crown) IV" over "The King's" backmark. It has a spiral pattern on the front. Any ideas on that one?
It's interesting to know they didn't just do the wavy pattern with this backmark, but these were clearly made for a civilian use with reference to their Military career. So some kind of event/commemoration/celebration makes the most sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread