Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
With my main partner Dan out of town, my friend Joey and I decided to hook up and do a little door knocking at some places where we've done a bit of early land patent research. We ended up in 3 different counties, but didn't have any luck getting permission to hunt a site today either due to nobody home or the fields being swarmed with hunters of another kind. But we did get a couple owners to say yes, and one maybe, but only after hunting season ends in Jan. With the day quickly passing us by we decided to check out one of my old sites from last season so we could at least swing a bit before calling it a day. Since we didn't see any orange caps in the field we decided to give it a chance. Dan and I had pounded this site many times, and I didn't have high hopes for much success. But as soon as I turned my machine on I got a high, solid hit and I was surprised when a huge pewter musketball appeared in an area that had only produced modern trash previously. I didn't walk but another 15-20 feet when I got another shallow high tone that sounded like a wheat penny. Boy was I shocked when I saw a heavy piece of silver in my hand. Turned out to be a great looking c1730 cob with a Mexico City mint mark. I think that's the 11th or 12th colonial silver coin to come from this site. After that I hunkered down in that spot for close to an hour and could not get another decent signal. I ended up wandering around in other parts of the field and in another 45 min all I could muster was a small 1700s buckle piece and a tiny decorative leather ornament. Joey also dug what appears to be a very tiny coin or apothecary weight. By that time we made the decision to get outta there before the hunters started showing up. In spite of the extremely meager finds I still went home with a smile and a nice colonial coin in my pocket. Dan and I are going to be checking out a new 1640s site tomorrow that I'm really excited about, and hopefully we'll have more on that later.

Attachments

• 113013a.JPG
    113013a.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 113013b.JPG
    113013b.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 113013c.JPG
    113013c.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 113013d.JPG
    113013d.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! sweet find :icon_thumright:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a sweet looking piece of silver Bill, congrats on the Cob.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine-looking cob, Bill, and congrats on the permission for the new site. I hope it proves to be a productive one when the hunting season wraps up in January.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a really nice silver cob! Good luck on the new field, hopefully the hunters won't be there!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it's all about quality over quantity and Bill you nailed it today. That is one fantastic looking Cob. To be honest I don't know allot about them but I think your's may be a cut piece from a larger one. Can you tell us a bit more about your find. A silver cob is definitely on my top 2 list next to a gold one.
Congrats Bill, I hope I can match that one day.
ZDD

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet piece of the silver pie. Congrats on your newly acquired Cob.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Bill, and the beat goes on! :)

carl9197

Nov 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill D.,
Great find. I love the Spanish coins but they are so difficult to collect because the variations seem to be endless. To me it looks like an 8 Reales piece that was cut down to a 2 Reales. Would you mind telling what county you found it in? I only ask because my ancestors on my father's side settled in Surry County, VA in 1635.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice one Bill, but it is hard to think of a cob of any kind as a bad find. I don't know what I mean by that exactly, hopefully you do, all I klnow it IS a super nice Old Silver find...Congrats.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish cob? Yes, I'd say that saves the day!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's REALLY nice. I"ve only found one cob ever, a 2 reale out of South Carolina back in 1992. I have several self found cut pistareens however.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful coin. Looks to be a 1730 Mexico cob. I cant make out the assayer letter under the M but it looks like I can see the bottom of the 173. Is it a 2 reales?

Mexico City, Mexico, cob 2 reales, (17)30R. - Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC

Thanks GW. The coin in that auction appears to be pretty much an exact match with the possible exception of the last digit of the date. But based on input I got on the Spanish Cobs forum this may be "2 bits" from an 8 reale coin. Appreciate the input.

Last edited:

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
That is a sweet little coin there...I'm no expert on cobs...but I would think the cross would be almost gone if cut from an 8 real...either way awesome cob....congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions