May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We drove back to one of our furthest farms & detected/gridded the last bit of a Roman Site. We were only expecting about 5 roman coins, so when we finished up we were more than happy, but we had no idea what the worst crusty coin was covering until we got home!

4 hour hunt.

I had 3 hammered coins which is a great day, but the roman made our week/month!

18 Roman Coins
Hammered - Henry VI Halfpenny, leaf on breast (type I need), Lizzy 3Pence, James I Halfpenny
2 Roman Fibula
1 nice Roman bronze Bead
Medieval 'star' horse mount
15th C Coin weight for a Gold Noble
2 Tudor Buttons
18th C Navy Button? (rose)
Bits...

THE DATED COINS OF CARAUSIUS

My star find is a dated coin of Carausius. As far as Dad & I can tell it is an unpublished & unknown legend of the above types. I will check with an expert, but the worst case is that it is Extremely Rare!
Mine varies from the known types because of it having 3 I's instead of 4. This indicates the 3rd year of his consul which makes sense if they already have a 4th.
IMP CARAVSIVS P AVG
PM TRP III COS I PP

UPDATE:

Response from the British Museum Expert:

It is indeed rare. I am rewriting the RIC volume for Carausius and Allectus and have recorded only one other specimen of this coin which is in an American collection – they share the same dies. Your coin is now safely in my 700 page corpus! It goes without saying that the BM would love to acquire this coin if you ever wished to sell it.

IMP CARAVSIVS P AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed right

P M TR P III COS I P P; Roma seated left on shield, holding Victory in right hand and spear in left

Mintmark: -//C

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 246
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 259
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 288
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 289
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Upvote 29

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great finding something so rare, but the scary thing with that is it seems like many could come at anytime. With detecting and the internet having evolved so much a lot of things are dropping in rarity. But not all drop, and those they stay rare just get better and better.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great finding something so rare, but the scary thing with that is it seems like many could come at anytime. With detecting and the internet having evolved so much a lot of things are dropping in rarity. But not all drop, and those they stay rare just get better and better.

These dated types have stayed low/extremely rare for the last 20 years, so detecting has had little impact, unless like I stated earlier the 2010 hoard had some in it. I'm waiting to hear the answer.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These dated types have stayed low/extremely rare for the last 20 years, so detecting has had little impact, unless like I stated earlier the 2010 hoard had some in it. I'm waiting to hear the answer.

But the scary part that it being Roman it can go from one or a few known one day, then hundreds or even thousands the next. But that doesn't mean it's going to happen as many things do stay really rare. For more modern items I think we just needed the internet because some "rare" things just keep coming!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the scary part that it being Roman it can go from one or a few known one day, then hundreds or even thousands the next. But that doesn't mean it's going to happen as many things do stay really rare. For more modern items I think we just needed the internet because some "rare" things just keep coming!

I get what you mean. It's one of the reason's I avoid the word 'Unique'. Because even though the internet has made it easier, it doesn't mean everyone knows what they have. I met detectorist & Archaeologist who have 30 years+ experience but still can't ID stuff.

Last edited:

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey CRUSADER!! GREAT FINDS!! CONGRATS!! Don't you wish they could talk!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Idk how far that conversation would go, since I doubt Crusader or his dad speak Latin or Occitan, lol ;D

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when I see your thread suddenly expand page wise, We'll know how it went! Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when I see your thread suddenly expand page wise, We'll know how it went! Fingers crossed!

I keep my fingers crossed as well, but I may get no response.:dontknow:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep my fingers crossed as well, but I may get no response.:dontknow:

Great find guy.... If you get no response don't except it as "oh well". Do it again and again and again. I believe your smart enough to get the answers you seek and need. I wish you the BEST. Keep us posted either good or bad... Brad

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find guy.... If you get no response don't except it as "oh well". Do it again and again and again. I believe your smart enough to get the answers you seek and need. I wish you the BEST. Keep us posted either good or bad... Brad

I always do but it could take weeks or it might be years....

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
CONGRATS TO CRU & CRU-DAD! PEELING BACK ANCIENT HISTORY ONE LAYER AT A TIME!

:occasion16::wav::wav::occasion16:

Thanks for the wonderful info and pics! Andi

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to the update on this thread. Hey, those hammered silvers aren't too shabby either!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to the update on this thread. Hey, those hammered silvers aren't too shabby either!

Cheers,

Buck

Cheers, I'm/we are looking forward to it as well. We think we know the answer, but we are ready for the truth. If I was a betting man, which of course I'm not:laughing7: , I would bet on 3 known or less, in the hope of just our 1.:thumbsup: All based on pure guess work....:laughing7: I'm a good guesser. (as stated by the Cru'guesser)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

Well, I wasn't far of with my guess of less than 3! ONLY 2 known:headbang:

I'm thinking that with our GPS reading & the other one in a US collection, mine might be the only provenanced example.:dontknow:

Response from the British Museum Expert:

It is indeed rare. I am rewriting the RIC volume for Carausius and Allectus and have recorded only one other specimen of this coin which is in an American collection – they share the same dies. Your coin is now safely in my 700 page corpus! It goes without saying that the BM would love to acquire this coin if you ever wished to sell it.

IMP CARAVSIVS P AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed right

P M TR P III COS I P P; Roma seated left on shield, holding Victory in right hand and spear in left

Mintmark: -//C

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such good finds!!!

well done indeed!!

lets have an MD swap - you come to the sun and search my site and I'll come home to Blighty for some decent beer :laughing7: :occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such good finds!!!

well done indeed!!

lets have an MD swap - you come to the sun and search my site and I'll come home to Blighty for some decent beer :laughing7: :occasion14:

Cheers mate, but I'm not a 'Sun' kind of guy, I hate the heat but appreciate the offer. Also I did consider diving but I can't clear my airways via my screwed up nose.:tongue3:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great response from the BM! Congrats! That is what you can call rare coin. Sorry that it didn't make it on top where it belongs...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations guy.... Boy that didn't take long at all to get a response. So what are you going to do with it? Any idea what its worth at this point? I'll trade my logging road finds any day to hunt your fields. I'm happy and proud for you.... Brad

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great news Cru! That is really an accomplishment to find something that rare. Btw I have one of those screwed up deviated septums too :-) no fun.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The reverse design must certainly be the mother of all seated motifs. But maybe not I only guess. One thing is for certain, that is a banner find.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread