Wish I could read the mint mark

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a text from a friend this morning and said he was on the way to hunt an area where we have found lots of silver. My wife was not feeling good but I got her some medicine and situated her on the couch and she told me to go ahead and hunt (Man, I have a good wife). I told her that I wouldn't stay too long and headed that way. I found my usual share of junk and a few clad coins and knew I had to get home to the wife in not too long. I went over to the area where I found my first seated dime earlier this month and got a coin signal on the CZ5. It sounded a little strange and was not a smooth signal like a normal coin but was kinda blipey. I dug it thinking that it might have been a small piece of jewelry but instead at 5 inches deep I recovered a coin that was bent in the middle like a little taco. The coins in this area always have this black crud on them but we could see enough of the edge to know it was silver. When I got home I used the tin foil and vinegar method and was able to clean it enough to see the face of the coin and a date. It was a 1894 Barber Dime !! The reverse of the coin is totally unreadable and pretty much slick with virtually no detail at all. That is really ashame because the last 1894 S Barber Dime auctioned sold for 1.9 million dollars. There were only 24 minted !!! Here is a picture of the face of the coin and the date.

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably an 'O', but it never hurts to wish for an 'S'

Top Member Reactions