SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Headed out with Ben on what was suppose to be a prospect mission of a few different areas. First spot didn't look very good and it was tight to detect. The second spot had an olllld house on it with a bunch of acres of woods behind it. We walked it first for a bit and said what the heck lets bring our machines out. The ground has thawed and the snow was gone. My very first signal was an 1820 Capped bust dime! I told Ben I think this spot is going to work out good. Spent a few areas scouring around huge vines and cedar trees and managed my first Connecticut Copper about an inch in the ground. Next was a beatiful 1806 Large cent. I also had found a toasty probably KG copper but it was too far gone too tell. The Jews harp was another welcome find as was the musket ball. My button vacuum T2 wasnt set for button kill today only 2 tombacs and a 4 holer. IT did however sniff out an awesome silver and some great coppers! Mission was a success Ben and more trips are needed back there to pull some more goodies. Thanks for the invite! Ben managed a nice KGII and a mystery copper, a button and a musketball.

Upvote 12

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, sweet finds!!

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Finds. You Dont See Capped Bust Silver To Often.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! How's the weather down there? I'm dying with a foot+ of snow. Looks like ill be dragging a snow shovel with me rest of the year.

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Weather was sunny and 40 today and the ground was butter. THat wont last long though!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that's quite a mix of coins , buttons get a break today :hello2:

Early US silver stokes up the fire , every sound after that dime , turns to wishful thinking , it's another one :laughing7: maybe it's a flowing hair .

Do yeh know the feeling ?

dawg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice mix of oldies.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! I've yet to find a capped bust dime. Add that to a beautiful LC and a CT and you had a hell of a day. It appears the CT is Miller obverse 34. That obverse die is paired with 2 reverse dies the ff.2 and the K.3. The K.3 is extremely rare and the only 34-K.3 that comes to mind was the one offered in the EAC 75 sale close to 40 years ago. You might want to look at that one closely. FYI, the ff.1 reverse is an ETLIR variety so if the last letter in the reverse legend is visible it might be able to help identify. R=ff.1 and B=K.3. Way to go!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Isn't it great Jim when you stumble across a site and unexpectedly start pulling out the oldies? Seems like my best sites are found that way. Nice first hunt at that site, and I'm sure other great recoveries are awaiting.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, nice hunt, without a doubt the Conn Copper is a 34 Obverse as Don has said, but I looked and looked at the reverse and I think no way with what is showing now can the reverse variety be determined, which is a big shame, it would be great to know if it were the K.3 reverse or the ff.1 reverse. Knowing how ground found coppers look, especially for lettering, looking for R vs B will be fruitless on your coin, you stand somewhat a better chance to look for a plume of hair that streams out from top of head and to the right, that would be a ff.1 There are other differences but with the condition of your reverse I do not think possible to see them. Whitman has the k.3 as a URS4 5-8 known, the ff.1 in C4 auction catalog Rarity 5, which is about par for Conn varieties.
With all that said, the chances are good it could be a k.3 reverse, my son's first Conn Copper he found couple decades ago, in an area near where Ben lives now was a M.36-k.3, same rarity as the M.34-k.3 Attaching a photo of his, you can see a decent amount of detail on his reverse side.

Getting the Bust silver was time to smile for sure and I always love to see a Jews Harp being found and the coins found with it fit right into the date range where most are found.
Don

Attachments

• 1787 Conn M36-k.3.jpg
    1787 Conn M36-k.3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 86

Dirt.Hound

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some great finds there, congrats! always love seeing Capped silver posted... the coppers are amazing too!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim congrats on your first Connecticut copper! The 1806 LC is sweet as is the Capped Bust dime. That is also nice Jew's Harp. I have never found a really nice Jew's Harp.

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys. Thanks Don's. The Connecticut came out of the ground looking so good too... We were in soil like yours Don. Loamy sandy, piney, cedary ground. I thought for sure everything was going to come out pristine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread