Ever have an embarrassing moment in this hobby?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of those non-stellar days today. Not "bad", just not stellar. I did however turn up an old war nickel in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, I managed to scratch it right across the face. (rookie mistake).

I moved on and was semi-gridding the place. On the way back to the car, I turned up another war nickel. About the same shape, was right on top, and when I looked a little closer, it had a scratch also. Hmmmmm, interesting. Right across the face too! Almost exactly where I....................wait a minute!!! I checked my found pouch. No nickel. I had just found the same one, TWICE!!! oH! HOW embarrassing!!!! LOL

Thought if anyone else out there had done this, they would now not feel so bad. :)

HH!

Upvote 70
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I was checking a local coinstar machine and lo & behold! For just the 2nd time there were a few coins in the slot! A couple wheaties and an old, (trashed), buffalo nickle and a fair shaped Roosie!

I was quietly ecstatic!

But, as I turned around there was this tiny, blue eyed, blonde haired munchkin. The longest face I ever saw! There were even tears!
I looked around and there was mom & dad. I spread my arms in the universal confused shrug.

They said that the tyke ALWAYS checked the machine EVERY time they came in there because they found a quarter there once. It meant
a free toy to them in the bubble gum machines. I, evidently, beat them to it this time and this tyke was soooooooo sad!!

I felt about two inches tall!

I said, OH MY!! I AM SORRY! I didn't know! I reached in my pocket, (the wrong one), and pulled out a couple coins, (including 1 quarter), and offered them up.
Saying this was all that was there, you're welcome to them.
You'd think I'd made the snow go away and caused the sun to shine brightly, springing Spring! The smile I got!!
I think I even heard harps play! ;)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one!

I have had a 3 year old munchkin follow me around the tot lot ( I was there at 7:30 am!) and every time I dug something he would try and grab the prize! His mom had to come over and haul him away so he would leave me alone! Lol!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was almost embarrassing, but right after I started using a Sunray probe on an Etrac, I had the switch over on probe instead of coil. I kept asking my friend what in the heck was wrong with my Etrac and he couldn't figure it out either. I walked around this field for about 5 minutes wondering why I was getting what I thought was really bad EMI. I finally started digging a false signal and looked over and the switch was on wrong. It was kind of silly because I was waving the coil in the air dumbfounded at first on why it was falsing so bad.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad and I were detecting on a very junk filled former house site. I was digging lots of iron junk but was hell-bent-for-leather searching with my A.D.S. Deepseeker.

I heard him call me over to an old sofa on the side of a hill. Grumbling I reluctantly walked over to join him. He asked which side of the sofa I wanted.

Dad opened his end and found Indian head pennies and a Barber dime.

It was my turn....several 1900 era silver halves, quarters, and a variety of other coins. I yelled "I hit the jackpot!".

Then I felt embarrassed that I had dissed him when he called me over.

Humbling!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just remembered, here is another one:

My friend took me to a very old house to detect. I was under the clothesline smack dab in the middle of the backyard and he was in the back alley. A lady come from across the street and asked me what I was doing. I looked up and smiled and told her that I was digging trash. I then showed her a few pieces that I had picked up. She proceeded to chew me out for digging in her elderly parent's yard and asked me if I just went around and dug wherever I pleased with my "gieger counter". When I looked over at him dumbfounded, she noticed and pointed at him and said, "He is ok, because he isn't on my property, but you are trespassing!". We walked over there and she was nice to him, but she had a lot of disdain for me. Needless to say, I always asked him if he had permission before I walked into a yard with him or made sure he went ahead of me. If I was ever nervous, I would get behind him where he would be between me and the road or driveway. We joked about it later, and I have never been chewed out again for trespassing, but a few times I say folks pull off the road and tell him to leave while I was in the back of the property, LOL.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
being from Indy I vacation a lot at the beach ( usually atlantic)

being so handsome it is embarrassing to have the females come up behind me and snap my thong!!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad and I were detecting on a very junk filled former house site. I was digging lots of iron junk but was hell-bent-for-leather searching with my A.D.S. Deepseeker.

I heard him call me over to an old sofa on the side of a hill. Grumbling I reluctantly walked over to join him. He asked which side of the sofa I wanted.

Dad opened his end and found Indian head pennies and a Barber dime.

It was my turn....several 1900 era silver halves, quarters, and a variety of other coins. I yelled "I hit the jackpot!".

Then I felt embarrassed that I had dissed him when he called me over.

Humbling!

When I was young, my dad was the DUMBEST person I ever knew!
Funny how much he learned in just a few years after I grew up. ;)

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is arriving at your spot, putting on your digger/pinpointer belt, knee pads and realizing you left your detector at home embarrassing? To me not really cause as I get older I do stuff like that all the time, but it certainly was funny to my gal.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I placed my detector in the trunk (because I wanted to get some fishing in first), closed the trunk and sheered the bolt that holds the coil. (and i didnt realize it at the time) sooooo i went fishing for a bit, then when i started detecting my coil was.....well.....limpy. The dumb thing was i have spare bolts and they were at home, not in my detector bag.

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
I was on my knees digging in my usual attire, which included a glove on my left hand (I don't have a right arm) so no right glove, and it was one of those signals you just can't locate. So I kept grabbing big chunks of dirt and waving them under the coil. My propointer wasn't working at the time. Lo and behold the chunk kept giving a signal but I couldn't locate the target! After a few more attempts it donned on me I had my wedding band on. Due to my previous accident I hadn't been wearing one in quite some time, and with my glove on, it hadn't occurred to me. I just sat there and laughed at myself for a few moments and was glad no one else was around. I cracked myself up!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

being so handsome it is embarrassing to have the females come up behind me and snap my thong!!
That's better than having them go....eeeewww......like they do to me......:dontknow:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

So you are the reason ModernMiner had to change states to regain his title of " most handsome detectorist " in his state of residence!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are the reason ModernMiner had to change states to regain his title of " most handsome detectorist " in his state of residence!

You're just lucky he didn't take up residence near you. Would've lost YOUR title! :tongue3:

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab gofind 20, Fisher F2, Garrett underwater pro pointer, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers/ MPX Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My embarrassing moment was when I was at a city park mding, when I get a loud banging signal. It was kind of in a ditch in the middle of the park. Not like a drainage ditch, more like a ditch that was formed by rain water run off. So I get to digging, and digging, and it's pretty deep. Finally, I see it. I see the wheel of a revolver. I said to myself, "holy shhhh, I just found a murder weapon". At least a gun that somebody must've stashed. It didn't look like a toy at all. So while people are walking the trails all around me, I'm trying to play it cool. I'm digging like crazy when nobody is around. Then when people start getting near me on the walking trail, I would take a break and try not to look so nervous. Well, finally, I pull it from the dirt, and as soon as i do, I shove it into my pouch so nobody sees it. I cover my hole and take off to my car. I call everybody I know and tell them the gun that I found. Asking them, should I call the cops or what should I do. Well then I drive home, unload my pouch and look at the gun. It was nothing more than a really really good toy. It was made really heavy. It had a blued finish that was rusted. I mean it looked like the real deal. But looking back at that whole situation, I felt so stupid about it all. All I can do now is laugh about it.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I have one.

Lol! And good thematic repetition decision. For me I generally am walking headfirst into a tree limb. Then I get kind of angry at the tree and detect it to see if it has coins. You won't beat me, tree!!

This thread makes me wish there was some kind of YouTube channel or other archive dedicated to candid videos of hilarious metal detecting fails. Hopefully with everyone now having a phone-camera my dream will soon be achieved.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are not embarrassing if I'm the only one that knows about them. Although, if I won't tell anyone about them, I guess that would mean they are embarrassing.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I placed my detector in the trunk (because I wanted to get some fishing in first), closed the trunk and sheered the bolt that holds the coil. (and i didnt realize it at the time) sooooo i went fishing for a bit, then when i started detecting my coil was.....well.....limpy. The dumb thing was i have spare bolts and they were at home, not in my detector bag.

I've got one machine that uses different bolts for different coils. I will occasionally put a stick in the place of a bolt if I don't have the smaller diameter one with me and I never miss a beat.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a matter of fact, I just had one yesterday? Cjon and I were hunting in his field and I got a decent signal that I thought might be an old flat button. Since we were in a field, I wasn't using a pin pointer. I scanned the dirt and the hole and heard it out of the hole. I picked up a big clod of frozen dirt, swung it in front of the coil...tone! Used my Sampson to break the icy clod, swung a piece, tone! Did this 4 or 5 more times, tone each time. Dropped the clod, swung my wrist in front of the coil, tone! What the...Cjon had come over by that time...says " watch "? No, watch was on other wrist...pull my jacket sleeve up...crap...metal button on my shirt! Now that I think about it, I didn't even find the original, real tone!

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was metal detecting on Sands Beach in Key West one evening many years ago, wearing my' favorite cut-off jeans (made into shorts) and a tee shirt. I was pretty buff back in those days with strong athletic legs and to be honest, I liked the attention that the good looking ladies would give me while I metal detected the beaches. On this particular evening, there were many more gorgeous ladies walking, laying or sitting on the beach than normal, intermingled with a few guys. I did as always and gridded out the beach and went to work searching for and digging targets but always walking around folks laying or sitting so as to not disturb them. I had only been there about 15 minutes and I got a strong signal indicating a good but shallow target. I usually would squat or kneel down to retrieve the targets but for some reason this time, I just bent all the way over and rip went my' cut-off jeans. I stood up and found that they had split from just below the zipper all of the way up the back. I quickly pulled off my' tee shirt, draping it over my' rear and tucking it in around the waistline and then with total embarrassment, I quickly waddled back to my' car and went home. You know, I can't remember if I retrieved the strong signal target that evening as I had much more pressing matters on my' mind and a tee shirt covering my' butt, LOL!

Frank

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was metal detecting on Sands Beach in Key West one evening many years ago, wearing my' favorite cut-off jeans (made into shorts) and a tee shirt. I was pretty buff back in those days with strong athletic lags and to be honest, I liked the attention that the good looking ladies would give me while I metal detected the beaches. On this particular evening, there were many more gorgeous ladies walking, laying or sitting on the beach than normal, intermingled with a few guys. I did as always and gridded out the beach and went to work searching for and digging targets but always walking around folks laying or sitting so as to not disturb them. I had only been there about 15 minutes and I got a strong signal indicating a good but shallow target. I usually would squat or kneel down to retrieve the targets but for some reason this time, I just bent all the way over and rip went my' cut-off jeans. I stood up and found that they had split from just below the zipper all of the way up the back. I quickly pulled off my' tee shirt, draping it over my' rear and tucking it in around the waistline and then with total embarrassment, I quickly waddled back to my' car and went home. You know, I can't remember if I retrieved the strong signal target that evening as I had much more pressing matters on my' mind and a tee shirt covering my' butt, LOL!

Frank

Now that's a good one!

Sent from a empty soda can!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread