Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree1332Likes

Thread: Ever have an embarrassing moment in this hobby?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    colonialdigger ny

May 2009
    long island new york
    Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
    67 times
    Metal Detecting
    im not saying their bad, I have a friend who was a cop. He metal detects.
    GoLD !

us
    Mr. Schulz

Mar 2012
    DeWitt, Iowa
    Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
    310 times
    Coin Roll Hunting, Bottle hunting, and Metal Detecting
    Bent over to dig hole at an old park (ended up being a 1965 Roosie) and pulled dirt out causing it to fly into my face.
    2013 Finds- 12/3

Bottle Digging
    Blob tops: 0
    Hutches: 2
    Medicines: 23
    Local Bottles: 24
    Tokens: 2, (1) Local
    1948 S Roosie Dime
    8 Spoons
    Music box part
    Axe Head
    19th Century cutting scissors
    ~
    Metal Detecting:
    Foreign: 1
    Wheats: 28
    Silver Dimes: 1
    Token: 1
    Clad: $47.53

Stumbles In Corn ..........(Thanks Treblehunter!)

Apr 2012
    South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Garrett AT-PRO, Garrett Groundhog, Pro-Pointer, Jack Hammer!
    13785 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSchulz View Post
    Bent over to dig hole at an old park (ended up being a 1965 Roosie) and pulled dirt out causing it to fly into my face.
    Sort of like when my digging tool popped through a root and threw my find across the park.

Thanks, Mr Schulz, for bringing this post back to what was the intended topic. We have enough confab in this life, we need more laughter.

HH!
    Rustic likes this.
    "A good day has no rain. A bad day; is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been." -Paul Simon

If you need to fill some time: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ent-hobby.html

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    12254 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    PLEASE don't get me wrong - our police around here are great - I am actually registered with a bunch of the dept. in the area
    and have help my own towns dept a few times
    it was just this situation - I think they knew they looked foolish and were trying to turn it around
    had it been some guy not from around there and that didnt know the rules and laws
    then they could made him look the bad guy and told him - dont let it happen again
    I been hitting this spot for over 20 yrs and knew most of the rangers
    and returned a $500 radio that one of the lifeguards lost - so I was in good with him
    the signs are right there though - no lifeguard on duty - which remains there even when lifeguards are on duty to cover them from law suits
    and as soon as you enter the gate - there is a sign that says no trespassing between dusk & dawn and another
    that says no one allowed in park after sunset & before sunrise
    they just never read them - this is a state park and works independant from the city
    they broke the rules by not contacting the ranger station and contatcting the state troopers
    Im sure some one got repremanded for doing what they did
    If they knew I was wrong they would have taken me in
    Rustic likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4666 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Early on in my detecting career, I dig my first target of the day and couldn't seem to pinpoint where the target was. I kept running handfulls of dirt across the coil and kept getting signals with every handfull.....but nothing there. Then I realized I still had my wristwatch on!
    abucooche and Rustic like this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    23693 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    PLEASE don't get me wrong - our police around here are great - I am actually registered with a bunch of the dept. in the area
    and have help my own towns dept a few times
    it was just this situation - I think they knew they looked foolish and were trying to turn it around
    had it been some guy not from around there and that didnt know the rules and laws
    then they could made him look the bad guy and told him - dont let it happen again
    I been hitting this spot for over 20 yrs and knew most of the rangers
    and returned a $500 radio that one of the lifeguards lost - so I was in good with him
    the signs are right there though - no lifeguard on duty - which remains there even when lifeguards are on duty to cover them from law suits
    and as soon as you enter the gate - there is a sign that says no trespassing between dusk & dawn and another
    that says no one allowed in park after sunset & before sunrise
    they just never read them - this is a state park and works independant from the city
    they broke the rules by not contacting the ranger station and contatcting the state troopers
    Im sure some one got repremanded for doing what they did
    If they knew I was wrong they would have taken me in
    Police, fire & ambulance don't need permission to enter where there is a report of someone
    possibly in distress. usually if they wait for permission, or backup it is due to fear.

the Person who reported you as a Floater should have been arrested & charged all costs
    though for false reports. they should have asked you if you needed help first.

Back on subject
    I've arrived on site without headphones already, & worse without batteries.
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jun 10, 2012 at 03:01 AM.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    Minelab
    14 times
    This is thread is CRACKING ME UP!!!
    Please keep it coming!
    roaddust66 likes this.

us
    Jun 2011
    Rochester Minnesota
    Ace 250 Fisher F2 (DD coil) Whites Classic ID
    22 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Early on in my detecting career, I dig my first target of the day and couldn't seem to pinpoint where the target was. I kept running handfulls of dirt across the coil and kept getting signals with every handfull.....but nothing there. Then I realized I still had my wristwatch on!
    i did the same thing!
    C'mon, coin. C'mon coin! dang, popta... wait. Is that, YESSSSSS SILVER!!!

Apr 2012
    13785 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    Back on subject
    I've arrived on site without headphones already, & worse without batteries.
    I can empathize. I've reached a place after an hour drive with everything except, (wait for it), my detector. I went looking for arrowheads instead.

HH!
    "A good day has no rain. A bad day; is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been." -Paul Simon

If you need to fill some time: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ent-hobby.html

Apr 2012
    13785 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Can't say I've done that but can I make a suggestion about digging gloves? Don't buy a pair with a metal snap on them to keep them closed. LOL

HH!

us
    Retired Air Force, unfortunately still working

Apr 2007
    Moses Lake, WA
    White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
    73 times
    Steel toed boots, need I say more?
    Sometimes the wise old man shows up. Other times its just the old man.

us
    real pirate

May 2011
    NE Ohio
    Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
    197 times

Apr 2012
    13785 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Just thought I'd add this one.

I was all afire to go find some treasure the other day. Packed the car with everything I figured I'd need for the day. Water, hat, sunblock, umbrella, diggers, pinpointer, pouches, etc. etc. Got in the car and started it up. Put it in gear and turned my head to see behind me when backing out of the parking lot. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my front porch. There, lying in plain view, was my AT-Pro just sitting there laughing at me and waving bye-bye. (blush!)
    Rustic likes this.

us
    scott

Jan 2013
    western md
    garrett 250 and new this year at pro
    37 times
    ok there are some good stories here thats for sure but i have one that made me feel like a real dumba-- lol.
    since i am new to md like 2 weeks new i still have a pile to learn but as with all things am progressing nicely.
    so i got a target located drop to my knees and cut my plug since the snow melt here the ground is kinda moist to say the least, and everytime out i end up cleaning everything major when i get home kinda like i just throw it in the mud then go about my bussiness .........sorry back to the story .
    got the plug cut rolled back and jerked out the cen tec pointer to make easy work of my 2nd find of the day ( having just found a dime 5 ft away i was ready to line my pocket with another token of gods appreciation).

so i place the pointer in the hole press the button and whamo blasting signal right at the bottom center so i lay it down and use my fingers to move some loose dirt but find nothing so pick the pointer back up for another try and that time is on the right side on the bottom mmmmm i say to myself while digging there also still nothing i ended up digging about a foot deep then by some stroke of luck found the penny in a pile i removed from the hole so i picked my pointer up and thats when i seen it a small maybe 1/8 inch square peice of aluminum stuck in the mud on the side of my pointer . the penny registered at just 2-3 inches but when the beepers on it's time to dig lol.

but i felt like a moron and was glad noone was waatching .

sorry so long but i got caught up in the moment ,
    Scott
    Rustic likes this.

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    396 times
    I'm not even gonna say that I might have detected a half a mile with my detector turned off.
    when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links