Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree1064Likes

Thread: Ever have an embarrassing moment in this hobby?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Nov 2012
    7750 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Embarrasing? How bout digging a relatively small hole in the sand on a beach and then falling into it.

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    5985 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot zone View Post
    I have seen them flip on the light to get through traffic and back off when clear; repeating until they make it to subway apparently.
    One day, sirens and lights blaring down the highway, the cops make their exit at the Duncan Doughnuts, wheeling in like crazy. The place was actually being robbed!
    No doughnuts were harmed in the aprehension of the suspect.

I'm amazed, that while water detecting, NO ONE advised me, my bathing suit top had fallen askew!
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    7750 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I am so glad no donuts were harmed, but the police probably took the next 6 shifts examining the evidence.
    roaddust66 likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    875 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I have...

-showed up to a spot with no detector
    -showed up to a spot with detector in hand with dead batteries
    -showed up to a spot with detector in hand, fresh batteries, and no shovel (the past 3 were all consecutive, lol)
    -detected a good portion of a field with dead batteries
    -detected part of a field with the detector off
    -detected part of a field with a loose coil cord

Mostly because when I first started, I got a little carried away

My Best Finds
    Oldest Visible Year: 1730
    Colonial Coppers: 7
    Large Cents: 10
    Half Cents: 2
    Indian Head Cents: 6
    Silver: 31
    Gold: 1
    Bells: 5

us
    Sep 2011
    New Hampshire
    Whites Classic5 ID White's Surf Master II with the dive rod Garrett Treasure Ace 350
    256 times
    I am a water hunter with dive gear but finally broke down and got a land detector. I started off by learning my machine in tot lots, I was at an Elementary School playground one friday evening all by myself when I felt the familiar push of gas. I let a huge one rip when I heard a female voice yelling at me...A little boy wanted to know what I was doing and had walked up behind me as a crop dusted him...his mom was wicked upset and thought I did it on purpose. Needless to say, I apologized and left red faced and very embarrassed. It pays to detect with one earphone on and the other off.
    Matt...aka...Lucky!

Nov 2012
    Stafford,Virginia
    Fisher 1266x and a shovel
    1279 times
    I was night hunting on a friends farm around 7pm right by the highway cause we were finding alot of bullets and decided too stay out late, well come to find out some motorist called the state troopers thinking we were being shady, only thing that came out of it was a more knowledgeable state trooper cause we talked to him for about 20 minutes about relic hunting.
    roaddust66 and Rustic like this.

us
    Alan

Dec 2012
    Putnam County Indiana
    Soon to be a Bounty Hunter IV.
    4 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have to say, I'm at work and I just busted out laughing at this one, glad I'm working alone tonight. Sounds like something I'd do though.
    I'm new to MD and treasure hunting. For my first detector I'm considering a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, it's inexpensive and I can always upgrade later.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Life is like a box of chocolates, turn your back and somebody's gonna stick their fingers in it.

Live like a kid, always eat dessert.

us
    Feb 2010
    Maryland
    Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
    169 times
    Well I must say I'm part of this thread. I have been detecting for about 11 years off and on. Never in my years did I ever use a pin pointer but when I got my new detector it came with one. So the first time I'm out with this thing...I am loving it. Don't know how I did without it! Out in the thick woods finding all the junk and good targets with ease. Then it happened....solid good signal finally. Dug down and went to grab the pin pointer....GONE! Now I am freaking out. Something I never knew I liked so much now is gone. So for the next 45 minutes I try to retrace my steps in these thick woods looking for the pin pointer I lost. Swinging my detector hoping to find it. Then....very near where I needed it last, it was found. Buried deep in the hole I refilled with only the top 2 inches revealing the grave of the tool I so treasured. I have never lost it since. A very valuable asset to my arsenal now and always will be.
    chirper97 and Rustic like this.

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    7126 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    We were digging a site near a free way that saw civil war action. One of my first signals was deep do I started digging and digging and digging. Everyone had moved off and left me but I was not going to give up on the target. I had visions of cannon balls. At about 2 feet I hit flat metal. I enlarged the holes and am thinking ok brilliant you are digging up a man hole cover. It was round and when I finally got my fingers under it I pulled it up and over. It said "STOP" on it. It was a cast iron stop sign with raised letters haha. I still have it in the basement ,,, everyone got a real big laugh.
    Every time I get a new detector I practice in my yard and I always dig up my sewer line up front in the same place at the lead flange

us
    Aug 2007
    Upstate NY
    White's XLT / White's V3i / XP Deus
    622 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    One time I found what I think was a KG colonial copper...wasn't in my finds pouch when I got to the car.

Also I found a silver rosie one time. I was laying on the couch looking at it, dropped it in my mouth, and accidentally swallowed it. I then recovered it a few days later, but I won't get into details...

Fix

Oct 2012
    Southern California
    Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil. Deeptech Vista Gold.
    598 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    This is so embarrassing I shouldn't even tell the story.
    I was hunting the local High School when I got the urge. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Like it's not gonna wait. It's coming out and you better do something about it.
    So I see a patch of 6 foot tall bushes. I had no choice in the matter. I waddle over there in severe pain trying my best to make it. I finally get in there and I find my spot. I know I'm going to be ok now when all of a sudden I'm attacked by wasps!! LMAO.. I took off running...
    Needless to say I had to go home after that.. lol Oh man.. I wasn't alone either. I was hunting with two other people. They had front row seats.
    Yep, I've done something embarrassing. =)

us
    Dec 2007
    Western, N.C.
    Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
    841 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cti4sw
    I have...

-showed up to a spot with no detector
    -showed up to a spot with detector in hand with dead batteries
    -showed up to a spot with detector in hand, fresh batteries, and no shovel (the past 3 were all consecutive, lol)
    -detected a good portion of a field with dead batteries
    -detected part of a field with the detector off
    -detected part of a field with a loose coil cord

Mostly because when I first started, I got a little carried away
    Right there with ya on these! I think it's because your so excited about getting there brain dead sets in! Lol
    riverdiver likes this.

us
    Feb 2011
    Lexington, Kentucky
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottso
    many cpos abuse their power,I see them speeding all the time. I saw on speeding and eating a subway sandwich.
    He must not of been going that fast if u know it was a subway sandwich

us
    Donald

Dec 2012
    Boerne Tx.
    New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
    126 times
    Metal Detecting
    Lol, this is the best!

us
    Feb 2012
    Mid-Tenn
    XLT
    549 times
    Relic Hunting
    Wow, I have one that tops you all, but that's the one a don't talk about. I just keep it to my self. And that's where it will stay. lol HH
    chirper97 likes this.
    LOVE THE LEAD

Co. C, 1ST Regiment, ( Olmstead's ) Georgia Volunteer Infantry

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links