Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, I made my third trip to the house I’ve been detecting at the last few weeks.
This yard continues to give up some nice surprises, but is making me work for them by digging through a lot of trashy areas. Some of my recoveries were: 1941 Merc, 1925 Buff nickel & a no date Buff, 10 Wheats (41 total so far), a “STERLING” flower, silver piece of jewelry, early 1900’s (?) bracelet, flower sash buckle, etc.

My BEST FIND though turned out to be a “Southern Cross of Honor / Daughters of the Confederacy” medal. This is very neat historical Civil War piece that was given out to those that fought in the Civil War. Some were giving out during CW times, and some post-CW. Chances are mine is post-CW, but still a great find.
Please check this link out for more information and better pictures:

Southern Cross of Honor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am hoping to track it back to the original family member since the property I found it at has been in the same family (black) since the late 1800’s.

Enjoy the video:

Thanks for looking and any info or input would be greatly appreciated.
Happy hunting,
Modern Miner

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 189
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 223
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill,
Thanks for that info. Here is a shot under my microscope. It looks like there is something below "HONOR" but I can't tell. It's too crusty. :dontknow: I'd hate to clean it and ruin it. What do you think? :icon_scratch:
-Doug-

the info about the makers mark being under the word "Honor" was on this link: Camp Wheeler: The Southern Cross of Honor
but others i had looked at had the makers mark on the name tag :dontknow:. Anyway it's a very nice medal and I'm Glad you found it.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, all of them. The cross is cool, I'm trying to get permission for a yard I have had my eye on for months, I have that feeling about this one like you said. Today might be the day. It's hard knocking on doors during the week, most people are not home. Going after 5:00 pm this time of year, it's dark out, I just feel this makes people that much more ill at ease. I'll be out there after a few hours to knock on a few other doors I also have good feelings about.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the info about the makers mark being under the word "Honor" was on this link: Camp Wheeler: The Southern Cross of Honor
but others i had looked at had the makers mark on the name tag :dontknow:. Anyway it's a very nice medal and I'm Glad you found it.

Thanks Bill. By the looks of the patina and some of the other relics I'm digging at that place that go back to the mid-1800's, I'm sure it's the 1900 real deal.
I hope I can find the name tag. :thumbsup:
-Doug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, all of them. The cross is cool, I'm trying to get permission for a yard I have had my eye on for months, I have that feeling about this one like you said. Today might be the day. It's hard knocking on doors during the week, most people are not home. Going after 5:00 pm this time of year, it's dark out, I just feel this makes people that much more ill at ease. I'll be out there after a few hours to knock on a few other doors I also have good feelings about.

Thanks TH. Good luck to you on gaining permission. The place I'm detecting now is in a seedy part of town, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it never being detected before. You know when you dig over 40 wheats and lot's of silver in a yard, you know your hunch was right. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of relics. Love the cross.
D

Thanks D. Congrats on that cool old button you dug too. :thumbsup:
Take care of Quindy for us.
-Doug 2-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STUNNING! :hello2: :occasion16: :icon_flower::blob9::icon_flower: :occasion16: :hello2: Congrats on marvelous persistence and finds! Andi

Thanks Andi. Permission to detect this place took a while since no one lived there. It took some tracking down, a letter by mail, and then about a months wait. I was chomping at the bit every time I drove by it. Persistence paid off for sure. :thumbsup:
Thanks for l@@king,
MM

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wooo Hooo D another great hunt! The Southern Cross of Honor is OUTSTANDING :icon_thumright: You've got quite a mixture of finds, and I'm thinking there must have been another house on or nearby that was much older than the turn of the century. The frame looks to be small enough to hold a tintype photo, which was popular around 1860s-1870s. Check to see if the frame would hold a photo (give or take) 1 5/8 x 2 1/8 or 2 x 2 1/2 or 2 1/2 x 3 1/2.

Way to go :)
Breezie

Last edited:
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Southern Cross of Honor

hate to rain on your parade, but that cross was not minted until after 1900.

Yeah, I know that. It's early 1900. I posted a link in my first post above. Quindy also mentioned it above. Still a great find since they only went to CW vets.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug,

Sure beats the heck outa Sardine cans don't it!!:tongue3:--

God Bless

Chris

Chris,
I thought of you on this last dig. I actually dug a sardine can and had to chuckle. :laughing7: I'm working my way up to a potted meat can next. :thumbsup:
Cheers Buddy,
Doug

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
potted meat,did someone say POTTED MEAT?????

Attachments

• harlow-sage-and-indiana-big-dog-small-dog-cute-instagram-17.jpg
    harlow-sage-and-indiana-big-dog-small-dog-cute-instagram-17.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wooo Hooo D another great hunt! The Southern Cross of Honor is OUTSTANDING :icon_thumright: You've got quite a mixture of finds, and I'm thinking there must have been another house on or nearby that was much older than the turn of the century. I'm basing this on the the SCH and the tiny picture frame. The frame looks to be small enough to hold a tintype photo, which was popular around 1860s-1870s. Check to see if the frame would hold a photo (give or take) 1 5/8 x 2 1/8 or 2 x 2 1/2 or 2 1/2 x 3 1/2.

Way to go :)
Breezie

Thanks Breezie. I was wondering if there was an older house on this spot too. :dontknow: I had dug a mid-1800's "Extra Gilt" flat button earlier and then a 1879 IH.
As far as this tiny frame I just measured it. It measures only 3/4" x 1" ID, and 1 1/8" x 1 3/8" OD. Could it still be a frame? :icon_scratch:
Thanks so much for the input,
Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread