Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, I made my third trip to the house I’ve been detecting at the last few weeks.
This yard continues to give up some nice surprises, but is making me work for them by digging through a lot of trashy areas. Some of my recoveries were: 1941 Merc, 1925 Buff nickel & a no date Buff, 10 Wheats (41 total so far), a “STERLING” flower, silver piece of jewelry, early 1900’s (?) bracelet, flower sash buckle, etc.

My BEST FIND though turned out to be a “Southern Cross of Honor / Daughters of the Confederacy” medal. This is very neat historical Civil War piece that was given out to those that fought in the Civil War. Some were giving out during CW times, and some post-CW. Chances are mine is post-CW, but still a great find.
Please check this link out for more information and better pictures:

Southern Cross of Honor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am hoping to track it back to the original family member since the property I found it at has been in the same family (black) since the late 1800’s.

Enjoy the video:

Thanks for looking and any info or input would be greatly appreciated.
Happy hunting,
Modern Miner

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 250
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 190
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 224
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Upvote 21

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Breezie. I was wondering if there was an older house on this spot too. :dontknow: I had dug a mid-1800's "Extra Gilt" flat button earlier and then a 1879 IH.
As far as this tiny frame I just measured it. It measures only 3/4" x 1" ID, and 1 1/8" x 1 3/8" OD. Could it still be a frame? :icon_scratch:
Thanks so much for the input,
Doug

Well, with that being said, it could make it better or at least as good. It could be a ladies Victorian Mourning Brooch frame. Is there any form of attachment on the back that would indicate it could have been a brooch, pin, or pendant?

:)
Breezie

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no rain in finding a Southern Cross of Honor; only SUNSHINE! :hello2:

Breezie,
I agree. No rain here at all. Just snow. :laughing7: Just to have dug one of these historical medals and learning of it's history is good enough for me. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Digs MM, love the Confederacy Medal! Nice jewelry pieces too!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Q. Should I engrave "Robert E. Lee" on it? :tongue3: I'm going to go back and see if I can find the top pin section that came with them originally. The area I dug it in was a trash or burn pit back in the days. Full of old stuff and chard ashes.
At least I finally found a spot to keep me busy until I can go CW relic hunting. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Hello Doug,

Have you dug in this pit area? I'm talking test holes three feet + deep. There may be relics, bottles, crockery in that area. Is it, by chance, located at the rear of the property, or in the side yards?

Continued success, sir.

digging-2-8-18-12.jpg

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, with that being said, it could make it better or at least as good. It could be a ladies Victorian Mourning Brooch frame. Is there any form of attachment on the back that would indicate it could have been a brooch, pin, or pendant?

Breezie

Breezie,
Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture. The back does appear to have perhaps soldered areas on the two sides and bottom of the piece. I wonder if was was indeed a small frame? The picture would of had to slide in from the top. Not sure if that's how they were made back in those days? :icon_scratch:
Thanks,
Doug

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Digs MM, love the Confederacy Medal! Nice jewelry pieces too!

Thanks Steve. I love some of that old jewelry too.
Especially the two silver pieces and the old bracelet. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Breezie,
Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture. The back does appear to have perhaps soldered areas on the two sides and bottom of the piece. I wonder if was was indeed a small frame? The picture would of had to slide in from the top. Not sure if that's how they were made back in those days? :icon_scratch:
Thanks,
Doug

The size is the most important issue, and I do think it is a Victorian mourning frame. The backs were generally 2 pieces. Sometimes the attachments were on the actual frame and sometimes there were on the insert portion.
VicPhotoBrooch.JPG

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Doug,

Have you dug in this pit area? I'm talking test holes three feet + deep. There may be relics, bottles, crockery in that area. Is it, by chance, located at the rear of the property, or in the side yards?

Continued success, sir.

Haven't dug any holes that large there, but as I was digging the other day and found that marble, I was thinking to myself that the trashy area would be a great area to use a sifter. Their trash and burn area was definitely on the side of the house. It is a slope that goes down to a lower flat area of the side yard. The trashy area seems to be a different dirt (jet black with some areas of pea gravel mixed in) than the rest of the property (brown dirt). I'm sure there has to be some very deep relics in that soft jet black dirt that I am not picking up. I know it's not an option, but if the first 12" of that area could be scraped off, I'm sure there would be more nice relics. I've also been trying to locate where the old clothesline may have been. The grandson that stays there said there was one, but I haven't found any coins where it would have been. That area is also the jet black soft soil. I'm just glad it's not a tidy yard and they have allowed me to dig all the holes I've dug. Every time I go over there he says "have fun". :thumbsup: I am going to make the family a nice relic shadowbox when I'm done to show my appreciation.
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size is the most important issue, and I do think it is a Victorian mourning frame. The backs were generally 2 pieces. Sometimes the attachments were on the actual frame and sometimes there were on the insert portion.:)
Well shoot. At first I thought it was a picture frame for a mouse. LOLWhatever it is it will look nice in one of my relic cases. Thanks Breezie.-Doug-

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Minelab X-terra 705 dual pack
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug,
I cannot believe the variety of good finds there are at that house!! Congrats on the awesome medal and all the other finds too! Also, thanks for the shout-out! You are the man...one day I will recover something cool like that. I need to get some permissions at houses, you're inspiring me. Thanks again Doug.
BTW, your video making skills are definitely getting better.

Travis

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure started the year out with a bang! You will get the older coin no doubt just got to find it, it's there, waiting.
Congrats on awesome finds! Hope you are able to track the history behind it, would be really awesome! GL HH!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug,
I cannot believe the variety of good finds there are at that house!! Congrats on the awesome medal and all the other finds too! Also, thanks for the shout-out! You are the man...one day I will recover something cool like that. I need to get some permissions at houses, you're inspiring me. Thanks again Doug.
BTW, your video making skills are definitely getting better.

Travis

Thanks Travis. I'm hooked on old properties because of the neat variety of relics that pop up (coins, jewelry, tokens, toys, etc.). My best find ever (my avatar) was found in the front yard of an old house. You just never know. :dontknow: I think you would love it too if you ever run out of old silver coins to dig in that park up there you have been hitting. :tongue3: Going to try to get out tomorrow again. :thumbsup:
Have a great week Big Guy.
-Doug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure started the year out with a bang! You will get the older coin no doubt just got to find it, it's there, waiting.
Congrats on awesome finds! Hope you are able to track the history behind it, would be really awesome! GL HH!

Thanks MBB. :thumbsup: I'm hoping to trace that medal down to who it was given to. Fortunately this property has been owned by the same black since the house was built in the very early 1900's (per tax records) or late 1800's (per grandson). A medal that belonged to a black CW soldier fighting for the Confederacy makes it even more interesting I think.
Lots of thrash to dig through on the side of the house, but that's where I am finding the older relics.
Thanks for looking,
Doug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find! Congrats!

Where the heck you been? :tongue3: Thanks buddy. I'm trying hard out there. :thumbsup: I miss digging CW relics, but this will have to hold me over for now.
HH,
Doug

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you found that cross. What a great site that has turned out to be. Have enjoyed the hunts very much. Thanks for sharing the finds.
HH

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you found that cross. What a great site that has turned out to be. Have enjoyed the hunts very much. Thanks for sharing the finds.
HH

Thanks so much for the reply. I can't believe it either. No CW action where we live now, so this 1900's CW related medal will have to hold me over until I can get back to some CW relic spots. I love the variety of coins, jewelry, and tokens that I have dug so far. I'm surprised that I haven't dug any spoons or forks yet which are usually a common find at an old house site. :dontknow: I definitely have enough stuff to make the owners a nice relic display. :thumbsup:
Have a great week,
Doug

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't sing the praises any louder than others have already, so just know I am extremely JEALOUS, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're just like the Energizer Bunny Doug. Great dig's. Anyone in their right mind would like to have that Cross in their collection :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread