First Colonial Bonanza of 2014!! Spanish Silver and Coppers!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a wild few weeks of weather the great state of Virginia has had. I initially had a plan for a good friend to join us for a weekend hunt, only to have to post-pone it due to 5-12" of snow that fell throughout the region on Wednesday. On Thursday we almost set the record for the coldest temp on record at -2 (actual, not windchill). On Saturday morning the ground was still basically 100% snow covered but with temps warming up to about 53 my good pal and digging partner Bill D and I figured we would at least try and get an afternoon hunt in. We planned to arrive at the site about noon, hoping that the morning warm up and sun would begin to melt things off. We were wrong on that account as when we arrived the site was still 100% covered - though only about an inch or more of packed snow remained.

This is the site that I landed for us last weekend that was frozen and impossible to dig the way we typically do. We had hoped that the snow would have protected the ground from the below-zero temps - and again - we were wrong. At the beginning of the day we were dealing with about 3" of frozen dirt - breaking the cleat off of my shovel on a test hole left us with no other alternative - pickaxes! Neither of us wanted to remain inside all day so we gave it a go.

We started off by gridding the site methodically but to little success. After about two hours of gridding at what we thought was ground zero and only recovering a few buttons and other odds and ends we both went on our separate ways to look for additional hot spots. Bill and I both struck nice little hot spots and spent the remainder of the day digging target after target - this was the rich site that we felt confident we left behind last week. I will let Bill fill you in on his finds, but he struck first with the initial coin of the day - then shortly afterwards I sniffed out a worn 1798 Large Cent from about 10" down. We kept going and then at the 11th hour - with day light dwindling I struck with a piece of cut silver (spanish pistareen).

My total finds for the day were 26 various buttons (including an early glass inlay-ed button dating to the mid 1700s). I dug plenty of lead (including some early and crude pistol / shot pellets). I dug 70% of a nice colonial shoe buckle and picked up plenty of pipe stems that are littered throughout this site. This site will be a fun one multiple hunts to come - that makes four colonial coins for me in two short hunts. We also know that there is a killer pit or two there some where. The snow did mostly melt (with what was exposed to sun) but the ground remained frozen in spots - where it was not was left with inches of mucky overburden. The drive in that morning was on a solid roadbed (frozen) it took all my 4x4 could do on the way out to leave.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• SC0201a.jpg
    SC0201a.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 183
  • SC0201c.jpg
    SC0201c.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 181
  • SC0201d.jpg
    SC0201d.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 184
  • SC0201g.jpg
    SC0201g.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 210
  • SC0201h.jpg
    SC0201h.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 204
  • SC0201n.jpg
    SC0201n.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 185
  • SC0201m.jpg
    SC0201m.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 196
  • SC0201l.jpg
    SC0201l.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 181
  • SC0201j.jpg
    SC0201j.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 184
  • SC0201i.jpg
    SC0201i.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 194
  • SC0201o.jpg
    SC0201o.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 199
  • SC0201p.jpg
    SC0201p.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 183
  • SC0201q.jpg
    SC0201q.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 210
  • SC0201f.jpg
    SC0201f.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 12

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick axes, I love it. Great finds, congrats!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Guys are HARDCORE! I love relics like the ones you recovered. Very nice!

Don't know about the hardcore part - but this is one of those sites that you have to do what you can to get in, otherwise your imagination runs wild.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Coins, handsome buckle, wonderful buttons, cuff link with stone - definitely you guys dug thru the miserable conditions to your reward! :hello2::occasion18::blob9: 40 years of my 70+ were spent living near Richmond & Charlottesville, and the lowest temp I recall then was a plus 9 degrees one icy Christmas season. Are you guys going thru the coldest VA winter on record? Your new site is gonna produce much more for sure! :icon_thumright: Andi

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
What a pile! Nice early recoveries Dan, I figured you were due for silver, hopefully some more surfaces.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a pile! Nice early recoveries Dan, I figured you were due for silver, hopefully some more surfaces.

Thanks Evan, i feel as if I have not gotten out as much - but already within the first 30 days of 2014 I have dug 9 keeper coins (1864 and earlier) including 3 cut pieces. Life is good - just wish I could get out more.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Coins, handsome buckle, wonderful buttons, cuff link with stone - definitely you guys dug thru the miserable conditions to your reward! :hello2::occasion18::blob9: 40 years of my 70+ were spent living near Richmond & Charlottesville, and the lowest temp I recall then was a plus 9 degrees one icy Christmas season. Are you guys going thru the coldest VA winter on record? Your new site is gonna produce much more for sure! :icon_thumright: Andi

Andi - overall this winter has been colder than average, and seems to keep jumping back and forth between extreme cold, snowy weather and some really nice temps. But the -4F I recorded at my house here in SE Virginia was only the 2nd time since they've been keeping records that the temp dropped below zero around here. An extremely unusual occurrence for sure, but all the variables were in place for that to happen.

below zero 1-30-14a.JPG

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great group of colonial relics Dan! Some real nice buttons with designs, and the cut silver is always welcome.
You guys look like a couple of "American Pickers" instead of "Diggers" with those pick axes in hand :laughing7:

By the way, I discussed those jeweled cufflinks in a post a couple years ago. Look who the first person to respond was (LOL)
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...al-relics-saturday-learned-something-new.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions