First Colonial Bonanza of 2014!! Spanish Silver and Coppers!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: First Colonial Bonanza of 2014!! Spanish Silver and Coppers!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

First Colonial Bonanza of 2014!! Spanish Silver and Coppers!

What a wild few weeks of weather the great state of Virginia has had. I initially had a plan for a good friend to join us for a weekend hunt, only to have to post-pone it due to 5-12" of snow that fell throughout the region on Wednesday. On Thursday we almost set the record for the coldest temp on record at -2 (actual, not windchill). On Saturday morning the ground was still basically 100% snow covered but with temps warming up to about 53 my good pal and digging partner Bill D and I figured we would at least try and get an afternoon hunt in. We planned to arrive at the site about noon, hoping that the morning warm up and sun would begin to melt things off. We were wrong on that account as when we arrived the site was still 100% covered - though only about an inch or more of packed snow remained.

This is the site that I landed for us last weekend that was frozen and impossible to dig the way we typically do. We had hoped that the snow would have protected the ground from the below-zero temps - and again - we were wrong. At the beginning of the day we were dealing with about 3" of frozen dirt - breaking the cleat off of my shovel on a test hole left us with no other alternative - pickaxes! Neither of us wanted to remain inside all day so we gave it a go.

We started off by gridding the site methodically but to little success. After about two hours of gridding at what we thought was ground zero and only recovering a few buttons and other odds and ends we both went on our separate ways to look for additional hot spots. Bill and I both struck nice little hot spots and spent the remainder of the day digging target after target - this was the rich site that we felt confident we left behind last week. I will let Bill fill you in on his finds, but he struck first with the initial coin of the day - then shortly afterwards I sniffed out a worn 1798 Large Cent from about 10" down. We kept going and then at the 11th hour - with day light dwindling I struck with a piece of cut silver (spanish pistareen).

My total finds for the day were 26 various buttons (including an early glass inlay-ed button dating to the mid 1700s). I dug plenty of lead (including some early and crude pistol / shot pellets). I dug 70% of a nice colonial shoe buckle and picked up plenty of pipe stems that are littered throughout this site. This site will be a fun one multiple hunts to come - that makes four colonial coins for me in two short hunts. We also know that there is a killer pit or two there some where. The snow did mostly melt (with what was exposed to sun) but the ground remained frozen in spots - where it was not was left with inches of mucky overburden. The drive in that morning was on a solid roadbed (frozen) it took all my 4x4 could do on the way out to leave.

HH

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201a.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	939520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201c.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	939521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201d.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	939522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201g.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	939523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201h.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	939524  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201i.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	939525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201j.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	939526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201l.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	939527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201m.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	939528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201n.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	939529  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201o.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	939530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201p.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	939531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201q.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	939532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC0201f.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	939536  

Apr 2008
    Central Illinois
    Fisher CZ-3D
    794 times
    WOW Nice variety of finds. You guys just keep pulling out some fantastic stuff. Just goes to show with a lot of research there's still a bunch to be found. I think 90% of successful detecting is the research. Mike

us
    Nov 2011
    Charles Town, WV
    Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
    1329 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Extreme hunt! Did you leave anything for Bill
    "Life's a garden. DIG IT!!!" - - Joe Dirt

us
    Sep 2011
    Southwest, CT
    Spectra V3i with wireless headphones, Bounty Hunter 505, 8" & 10.25" Coils,
    1522 times
    What an AWESOME Day you guys had. I've been dying to get out but the temps, snow & frozen ground are keeping me in, AARRGH!
    SPECTRA V3i, BH 505, Pro-Pointer. Lesche Digger Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver 1663 1-Reale Cob.

us
    May 2011
    North Carolina
    Equinox 800 Teknetics T2 SE Teknetics G2+
    1008 times
    Colonial Period
    Enjoyed reading about your hunt and seeing all of the colonial finds. With all of the conductive targets it would appear that this is a virgin site and one with awesome potential. I can't blame you for getting out there with the snow covered frozen ground. I wouldn't be able to stay away either. Look forward to seeing more and hopefully some trash pit finds.
    Equinox 800
    Teknetics T2 SE w/ DST
    Teknetics G2+

Best Coin Finds -
    Cob - Charles II 1/2R (1665-1697)
    1672 Hammered Morrocan Silver Mizuna (Pirate Treasure)
    Cut Pistareen Philip V (1717-1737)
    Mexico 1739-Mo MF real

1781 Spanish 1/2 Real
    1877 Silver Trade Dollar (My Avatar)
    1621 Hammered Bronze
    Valencia, Philip IV (dug two)
    1732 KG II Half Penny
    1752 Spanish 1/4 Real

us
    Jul 2012
    USA
    Minelab E-Trac
    2888 times
    What a great hunt! Some great looking buttons and that buckle is nice. I really love that cut piece of Spanish Silver! Great job on finding another site with awesome relics and coins. Good luck on your next hunts.

ca
    Oct 2009
    East Dirtyville
    2340 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    That's a lot of digging! Your digging tools are interesting choices, given the conditions, who could blame you lol
    Good effort!
    ...if you think I'm a pain in the neck, it's lower, lower,little bit lower, too low, higher, there ya go.....

More likely the blue stoned 'button' is a late 17th C-mid 18th C Cuff link. Some of the earliest ever made.
    UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD
    Steve in PA likes this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    More likely the blue stoned 'button' is a late 17th C-mid 18th C Cuff link. Some of the earliest ever made.
    UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD
    Thanks Cru - you know I suspected it was older based on the back - but was afraid to say it. We have found some 1600's items here in the two short hunts, but have actually been looking for the 1600's land patent that we know is there somewhere.

Dan
    CRUSADER likes this.

That's quite an impressive haul Dan, especially since you dug almost all your finds in the last 2-3 hours of the hunt. I think we definitely made up for the disappointment of the initial ground-zero gridding with the new hotspots we discovered. With such a large debris field we should be busy for quite a while at this site. Just hope the weather cooperates so we can get back in there again soon. I don't know who those 2 guys are in the last pic, but I certainly wouldn't want to mess with them .... haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    That's quite an impressive haul Dan, especially since you dug almost all your finds in the last 2-3 hours of the hunt. I think we definitely made up for the disappointment of the initial ground-zero gridding with the new hotspots we discovered. With such a large debris field we should be busy for quite a while at this site. Just hope the weather cooperates so we can get back in there again soon. I don't know who those 2 guys are in the last pic, but I certainly wouldn't want to mess with them .... haha!
    They do look quite formidable don't they...

Feb 2006
    Minelab Explorer ll
    33 times
    You guys had a great hunt. I love all the buttons and the cut silver is awesome. That buckle looks pretty nice too. I would definitely hit that site again. Good luck when you return.
    Holding history in our hands is a treasure in itself.
                             ~Minelab EXll~

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1387 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Now that's determination!! I love all of your finds Dan, especially the cufflink.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    14982 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Name:  20.gif
Views: 457
Size:  16.8 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.gif 
Views:	99 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	939804
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
    1328 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Now that's a pile of relics.
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

Descended from Patriots & Rabble-Rousers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links