Another Winter LC

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO I headed back to the site where I found the 2 LC's on Friday. This property is enormous and there's two other old foundations on it besides the one I was at on Friday. These other ones are on a public trail and I'm quite sure they've been gone over before. The other one is very well hidden. I detected a spot that gets lots of sun and it was much better digging over there. I dug a ton of bullets and finally found a very deep buckle.

image-2383001943.jpg

Both foundations are located in an enormous field and I decided that I would pick a line between the two and detect that line in hopes that people used to walk between them . About half way across I got a nice signal and could tell it was deep. Deep enough that it won't give a number on my T2 SE. I dug a 7 or 8" in h plug and rescanned the hole. This time it showed a solid 88! By the time I retrieved it my pro pointer was at least 2 1/2 - 3" below the surface. I pulled out a very green coin. Had no idea until I got it home but after a quick HP bath I could see that it was an 1845 LC. I knew stuff was deep in this field but now know just how deep.

image-1757198298.jpg

Let me say that the T2 SE is incredible! This site is directly under huge power lines. Next time I hit this field it will be in BP mode. The T2 may well open up many so called hunted sites . I am ecstatic with this recovery and the circumstances of it! Yes this a picture from the site. It's a huge public area and I'm fine with people knowing its location :-)

image-3452193064.jpg

Upvote 4

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! The T2 must be some machine to handle those power lines!

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Abe! I have yet to find my first Large Cent, mainly because of the limited history in my area, but I know its coming!! You are definitely in a good spot! Keep on finding them and keep on posting them!!:thumbsup:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the large cent. Love digging them.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Abe. :thumbsup: Those LC's seem to elude me. In 10+ years of detecting I have only dug two or three. :dontknow:
Congrats,
Doug

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully some silver will start showing up. But I am just happy to be able to get out this time of year. The coins are a bonus

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Abe! I have yet to find my first Large Cent, mainly because of the limited history in my area, but I know its coming!! You are definitely in a good spot! Keep on finding them and keep on posting them!!:thumbsup:
I am very lucky to be in this area. The history is crazy here! I've got sites lined up that are mind blowing. Hopefully this is a great year. It's off to a great start with 3 old coppers by February.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, you may want to spend a lot time their...
Yeah it's close to my house and has great history. There's a huge field that could be hunted for weeks. The only issue is how deep everything is there. But I can probably sniff out some more deep targets !

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
February and a mid-1800 coin! Can't get much better than that here where I hunt! Nice find!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the LC ! Congrats!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, glad you were able to get out.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully some silver will start showing up. But I am just happy to be able to get out this time of year. The coins are a bonus

Yes, not every year will you get to hunt the first of Feb.

Good job on the deep LC.

I too am a little surprised you didn't have at least some trouble directly under those big transmission lines....maybe quite surprised. I get within 50 yards or so of them with my Teknetics becomes annoying.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going Abe. Sounds like you're mastering that machine, and using that in combination with some sound logic to make some nice recoveries. Keep it up!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, not every year will you get to hunt the first of Feb. Good job on the deep LC. I too am a little surprised you didn't have at least some trouble directly under those big transmission lines....maybe quite surprised. I get within 50 yards or so of them with my Teknetics becomes annoying.
Rick, It's really strange because around my house it goes nuts. And it's like some times of the day it's bad under those lines but sometimes it's not. Don't get me wrong, I can crank up my machine or even close to it. That's why I was so happy with the deep LC. Really proved a lot to me!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Abe. Sounds like you're mastering that machine, and using that in combination with some sound logic to make some nice recoveries. Keep it up!
Bill, thanks bud! I can only hope to find sites like you and Dan have come spring time . I have very high hopes for a few but you know how this game works :-) when you think you have it figured out it humbles you and when you're losing hope it gives you a gift to keep you believing :/)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, thanks bud! I can only hope to find sites like you and Dan have come spring time . I have very high hopes for a few but you know how this game works :-) when you think you have it figured out it humbles you and when you're losing hope it gives you a gift to keep you believing :/)

You're spot on Abe. Seems like every site I have high hopes for ends up being a bust, and then all of a sudden you run into a gold mine where you were least expecting it. That's just how things seem to work in this crazy hobby.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy, I love finding the old coppers but wish I could get into some old silver. They seem to be hard to find around here. You'll find one buddy. Keep putting in the time and it will happen. I definitely am in a fertile location for the old stuff. There were settlers here in 1607! Crazy crazy old my friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread