Fake 1878 50 Mark Pendant

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Today, we hit the same park that turned up yesterday's gold. Imagine my excitement when my very first signal turned out what appeared to be an old chunk of silver, not ten steps inside the park. It wasn't until some of the dirt was removed and the research began that I became quite confused. Take a gander at this and tell me what's wrong with it. Don't worry about the little things like condition and such - look at the coin, preferably with a pic of a real deutschmark coin from that era in one of your browser's tabs for comparison. Spoilers under pictures.

50mark1.jpg
50mark2.jpg

Here's what I noticed:

1. There's no such thing as a 50 mark coin from that era. If there had been one, it would have had to have been gold. But it didn't exist, so we don't need to worry about this.
2. Wilhelm II was not the kaiser in 1878; his father, Wilhelm I, was in charge. Wilhelm II came into power in 1888.
3. Wilhelm's hair looks different than it does on actual coins bearing his likeness. It's the same style, but is a bit more cartoony.
4. The coin was awfully heavy for silver. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be electroplated copper or brass.

So it's a fake - not a big deal. But here's the really odd thing...go ahead and try to find something out about these online. I mean, it's not like only one or two were ever made, right? We went and looked and are even more confused than before. They're not for sale on E-bay, they're not being discussed on the usual forums...the only thing that we found was a discussion from a German numismeric forum from 2006 where an example that sounded like mine was discussed as being a fake.

And why fake this at all? The real 1878 coins are not particularly expensive. Perhaps it was some kind of commemorative to Wilhelm II, but then why get the date wrong?

It's a a head-scratcher, but I've never seen anything like it before. I'll take it.

Upvote 5

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is an excerpt (pardon the translation) from a German site from which you may have received your information:
"The 50 mark coin from 1878 with Wilhelm II I lie for a long time, but be ignored for obvious reasons. Just as with the 2 featured copy (of William I) has my piece on the center back the same Lötsstelle, which suggests to me that these "coins" were produced for jewelry (probably as buttons). The weight is 5.6 grams, diameter 24.4 mm, material probably gilded copper-nickel.
Although I value the piece as largely worthless, I would what brings ebay every day at all, do not be surprised if there may could take place one interesting bidding war. "
I also note there is no mint mark at the (usual)6 o'clock obverse position. Is that another 'red flag'?
Don........

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would have got excited digging that out not knowing what it was.... even as a pendant it's still a great find. thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread