1798 Carolus IIII 8 Real!

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
Got out to a newly discovered colonial plantation. The plantation dates back to the late 1600s and I believe was abandoned or burned in the 1800s. Anyways I had found some revolutionary war era buttons and a piece of a trunk plate along with a musket ball. I went out today after the rain and dug a bunch of iron until I decided it was time to leave. I was swinging desperately on my way back to the car when I got a nice signal that definitely was not iron. I popped the plug and saw a big disc staring at me. I picked it up and brushed the dirt off. I saw the back of this beautiful coin and started yelling and punching the air. I couldn't believe it. My first 1700s coin and it's a big, heavy silver one!!! I'm still so excited! Here she is...

image-3975411447.jpg

image-1451233634.jpg

If anyone can tell my why there is a swirl on top of the crown instead of the usual cross it would be muchly appreciated.
Here's a button and a piece of a trunk plate from the same site.

image-2653655641.jpg

image-1951332819.jpg

image-2332224168.jpg

image-657947854.jpg

Upvote 30

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a find!Beautiful condition

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin Ekeisler!

Last edited:

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man thats amazing! Stellar day!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
finds like that can really turn a so so day around in a hurry, somehow the word awesome might fall a little short on the initial moment of the find but it is pretty awesome.:thumbsup:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! If I made banner and Rick made banner with an 8 Reale, yours should be up there too! Vote is going in now :)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ACE, and just because he was SUPER LUCKY and found a bunch of them doesn't lessen this find.

I know a guy who hunts a lot, and in 40 years only has one. I knid of though mine was a banner so I'm giving you a vote for yours.

Congrats

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote banner. There is another one recently added and yours is a few years older.

I am not sure how to read those things, is F.M. where it was minted? Anybody knows where that is?

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote banner. There is another one recently added and yours is a few years older.

I am not sure how to read those things, is F.M. where it was minted? Anybody knows where that is?

F.M. are the Assayers initials (Fransisco, and Manuel de la Pena) It is a Mexico minted coin denoted by the small o over M.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super lucky...hmmph....that was skill! Lol. Nah, definitely had a horseshoe in my arse lol.

His find is equally as impressive as any other 8 Reale find, whether there was more than one or not. It's a huge old hunk of silver!

OP
OP
ekeisler

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
Super lucky...hmmph....that was skill! Lol. Nah, definitely had a horseshoe in my arse lol. His find is equally as impressive as any other 8 Reale find, whether there was more than one or not. It's a huge old hunk of silver!
I saw your cache and that's an amazing find! How did you clean those by the way?

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I used baking soda and water. Just a gentle rub and the dirt came right off.

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOuldn't you love to know how long they have been in the ground and what's happened above them all those years

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put some baking soda in a small dish and added water slowly until it was the consistency of toothpaste then rubbed the paste on the coins. Just enough to take the dirt off though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread