Counterstamped Large Cent!!... My first.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a few hours today with my friend. We hunted a foundation site near a plowed field and I made a few nice recoveries. The foundation was in the woods adjacent to the plowed field so I decided to start my hunt in the field. Turned up a suspender buckle and a couple of modern coins and then had a sweet +82 signal that was pinpointing at 1 inch deep. I didn't even use my shovel, just pushed my finger into the dirt and pulled away about an inch and there was a nice copper lying there. I snapped a picture and then picked it up and it is a counterstamped large cent. Can't really make out the counterstamp so any input would be greatly appreciated.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Here's a couple pics of it after I cleaned a little dirt off of it. I'm reluctant to use peroxide on this coin. In my experience, a copper that looks like this will flake when peroxide is used on it. I'll probably just leave it as is.

012.JPG 013.JPG

About 20 minutes later I got a nice +86 signal at 6 inches. Popped out another large copper but she seems to be fairly well toasted. It's holed and I'm guessing its probably a draped bust but I'll probably never know for sure. The picture above on the right is what it looked like after a little cleaning.

004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

My last good find was a two cent piece that turned out to be an 1869 after a little cleaning. Pretty beat up and corroded from the fertilizer in the field but I'm glad I was able to get a date off of it.

002.JPG 014.JPG

Here's a few compilation pics of the finds for the day. The silver looking coin is a 25 cent play money coin. Fooled me for a second. I wish it was Spanish silver...:laughing7:

001.JPG 011.JPG

003.JPG 004.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 11

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
That was a nice hunt. Good hit on the LC, I don't ever recall seeing one with that type of counterstamp. Somebody will. Congrats on a cool find.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sweet digs ! I love colonial coins n relics!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer day!
Always wanted to dig a counter-stamped anything, no luck yet.
Stupid question, but does it look like writing still if you turn it over?
The W may be a M.
Kudos!
Carl

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some awesome finds friend!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is a great day of hunting. Wonderful colonial finds.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff. I love the counterstamped coins. There's a site called exonumia dedicated to all known counterstamps. Good luck with the id. I was never able to find mine and you always wonder what it may have represented

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice variety of finds there! Yes I see a possibly significant find there in the photo with the suspender part, round with the large hole. If it isn't a dog-tax tag, that looks kind of like a work tag for checking in are there any mines in your area? I might be wrong but thought it was worth mentioning.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at it pretty well in both orientations and the way I posted it seems to look the most reasonable. It seems Like it says Wilon but I may be way off on that. It could be an abbreviation or something completely different. Ahab8 replied with a website that has known counterstamps. I'm going to check that out and see what turns up. Hopefully something will. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer day!
Always wanted to dig a counter-stamped anything, no luck yet.
Stupid question, but does it look like writing still if you turn it over?
The W may be a M.
Kudos!
Carl
Whoops... that above reply was supposed to be a response to this one.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff. I love the counterstamped coins. There's a site called exonumia dedicated to all known counterstamps. Good luck with the id. I was never able to find mine and you always wonder what it may have represented
Thanks for the info on the website. I'll definitely give that a look.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds there! Yes I see a possibly significant find there in the photo with the suspender part, round with the large hole. If it isn't a dog-tax tag, that looks kind of like a work tag for checking in are there any mines in your area? I might be wrong but thought it was worth mentioning.
I'm not aware of any mining activity in the area. I'll look into that a little further. I looked at that piece again and strangely it doesn't seem to have anything stamped on it at all. I was thinking it was a livestock tag of some sort when I found it.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice hunt! that play coin woulda fooled me too seeing those denticles around edge

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt! that play coin woulda fooled me too seeing those denticles around edge
Amusingly enough I found the 10 cent version of this same set of play money at an entirely different site earlier this season.(also a nice denticled edge on the 10 cent) That one made my heart stop also. Hopefully one of them will be the real thing sometime soon. I'll probably amass an entire set of play money before the elusive Spanish silver turns up. :laughing7:

Mduece

Jun 14, 2014
South West NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice finds for one site & a couple hours congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions