Took my Daughters Ace 350 for a test drive !!

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my Daughter's Ace 350 for a test drive !!

Went out this morning for a few hours, trying to get a better "feel" for this 350. Totally different than my 705 and that is probably the reason that I investigated this thing. I probably would have skipped over it with my normal machine, thinking it was just a big piece of Iron. Anyways, the Barrel is 20" long and it looks to be .50 caliber. My first Gun !! DSCN1906.JPG DSCN1907.JPG DSCN1908.JPG DSCN1909.JPG DSCN1911.JPG

Upvote 14

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopefully this rare carbine makes banner. This post keeps getting buried and I had a hard time finding it again. I hope you find the butt plate but there is a chance it was lost way before the carbine was lost. I have dug several pre-1850's musket butt plates that were by themselves that had obviously come off.

If you never find it I would scour the internet relic sites and try and find a loose dug Maynard butt plate and marry it to a board for display. or you could paint the outline of one.

If I found that it would make my year. Not many people can claim they found a Civil War weapon and yours is one of the scarcer variants. As much as I hate to discuss values; it might put it into context for viewers who are not familiar with this sort of thing. I would value this relic at a minimum of $500. it could be worth up to $1000; maybe a little more to the right person and anywhere in between. congratulations an a very historic weapon and relic.

Pulling the exact serial number would be neat; but I would not worry about it too much. your gun was made circa 1863-64 or 65 at the latest. The only real benefit of pulling a number would if there was a known specific issued serial number match. or a 'range match'. A range match might indicate what unit it was originally issued to. but more often than not there are no matches.

so in my opinion it is not worth damaging/screwing up cleaning it. I have seen way too many relics damaged/screwed up over the years. It is desert iron so it should be stable. the fact the cartridge was still in it adds to its value to its historical interest. it is beautiful as it is and will look amazing on your wall. I wish I found it. awesome find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finding there! Its very intact, doubt that condition is possible in any plowed disced up fields like we have out here!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific find!

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for their comments, info, and advice. This has been a good Ride.

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little update on the Maynard Carbine. On the underside of the Tang, there is what appears to be a Serial # 21249. I soaked just the Tang in some White Vinegar . IMG_2829.JPG DSCN1918.JPG I did try to change the Title of this Thread, but had no Luck.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow real nice. I guess I should not be that surprised how easily you pulled the # from but I am. Desert iron is the best. there are people and organizations who will research the number for you for a nominal fee of around $20.

I tried it once and got a 'range match' on a carbine in my collection. 'range matches' are no smoking gun but it can associate your weapon with a specific unit. You may get super lucky and see that specific serial number issued to a specific soldier. If so it would add a considerable value to the piece both historically and monetarily.

worst case you lose the $20 or so and they find nothing. The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg offers this service. I have done a lot of business with them and they are great. you can call them and give them a cc # and they may answer this question easily and fast....

If you do get a hit please let us know as I know I would be interested in 'positive' results.

Congratulations again! and hopefully the buttplate it lurking about....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread