Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most of my posts this one starts the same....

Me and ZDD...
started out at 8:30 in hopes of finding something old. The first spot we went to looked good had promise, and was in a fairly good area, etc, but just didn't have it. Dave did get a clock gear there, I never dug a target. Dave got a 90's signal that I checked, and said "could be a 8 reale", turned out to be a brass ring. I said "one of these times it will be an 8 reale".

Next spot, we call "french hill" as Dave got a 1677 french silver there last year, conditions were good better than they had ever been, level, and short grass. I got a signal that was high 90's, but did bounce all the way up to 99 which almost always means junk on my Omega. Not suggesting that I wouldn't dig, because targets were not that plentyful. I dug a plug the depth of a small hand trowel of 4 -5 inches, the pin pointer said target still in there, so I just sifted through the loose dry dirt with my left gloved hand, and out came a BIG round disk. For a second I thought aluminium, because I was expecting JUNK, then I saw Carolus face (as blind as I am) Yeah Babby !

Wicked freekin awesome, I thought, 7 years, my first dollar sized coin, and still on my top ten list.

I wasn't shaking like a lot of people say, but I was at the same time pretty excited, and tried to shout to Dave...he wasn't hearing none of that, with headphones on, so I pretty much ran over to him, mentioning the "ring" he had found earlier. He said did you find another, I said, "well almost" I got him to take off his glove and close his eyes, and dropped it in his hand.

This has been a slow year for sure with the cold lasting so long, and then turning so hot so fast, bla, bla, bla.

Anyway this is a find that is / was still on my top ten list so I am very happy today with what I have found. I didn't even take a camera with me today as it was so hot I didn't want to carry any extra gear, so I had to keep it dirty till home for pictures then a water soak for 5 minutes revealed a pretty nice coin.

Yes we (I) did dig a few square nails, and one pewter button, the nails because of the spot being "nearly" hunted out, and so few targets left, but man am I glad we gave it one more shot.

GOOD LUCK OUT THERE !
Rick

Attachments

• find14-11a.JPG
    find14-11a.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 618
  • find14-11b.JPG
    find14-11b.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 531
  • find14-11c.JPG
    find14-11c.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 457
  • find14-11e.JPG
    find14-11e.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 606
  • find14-11f.JPG
    find14-11f.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 57
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome 8 Reale! Congrats on a fantastic find should be banner!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick, that coin is rather pretty for A BIG HONKING MONSTER!! I am voting Banner so we can all see it up top a little while longer :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve PA,

Eventhough you can't see it in the pics, there is still quite a bit of luster in the devices, although you can't really tell from a picture, needs to be at the right angle.
You wrere right one more visit to this site was rewarded, THANKS !

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is in. That big monster is bad ass bud :-)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks a bunch everyone for all the comments, and the votes.

Still in a bit of disbelief over this one, sure I had wanted to find one, but at the same time wasn't really expecting to. Sooo glad it wasn't the piece of junk I was expecting.

THANKS again to all.

That's nearly always the case.

The large Roman Coin I got yesterday (which don't show very often), I was convinced it was a large piece of Lead. Still, as I dig most signals we find out anyways...

I've been following this & just want to add my congrats. You are lucky to start off with such a nice looking one. Although the closest I have come is a counterfiet, I would love a cob first, but one of those lumps is great in anyones book.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you did very well ... great coin !

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find Rick! But you need to cut it in half so Dave gets his share of the booty. Kidding aside, that one is on my list too. I've found cut pieces from 8 reale coins but never the whole enchilada.

I do have a cold chisel, and a hammer ?
And I have yet to find a cut piece of silver of any kind. I do have one strange cut copper.

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have an abraham lincoln coin i will trade you for. super awesome silver coin and despite what others say my shovels haven't turned up anything like that here in florida!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man , I still don't understand how this hasn't made Banner yet. What's going on Mods??? :BangHead:
This is the king of all treasure finds, a Spanish 8 Reale. It is what would fill a treasure chest in a little boy's mind when he would dream about a treasure chest full of Spanish booty.
Gold coins are posted here often but not too many of these honkers, so lets get on with it and put this giant coin on the Banner where it belongs.:icon_thumright:
ZDD

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner Rick. Looks great up there

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone on here said they dig those by the shovel full down in Florida so I'm not really impressed........
not sure who you are referring to, but yes 8 reale "cobs" are found quite often down in florida,and yes there are many museums to display the finds from here,.........but hey don't take my word for it,just ask booty salvage .....

To rick great find man really nice detail for sure and excellent clean up

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am super envious Rick.... green with envy you might say. :happysmiley::alien::blob10: Hoping I can join the 8 Reale club someday as well. Congrats on making the banner. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I have no idea how I missed this thread before but this is amazing! Congratulations and my vote is in!

WOW back, thanks Perses for the vote.

And thanks again everyone else.
ZDD... a great hunting bud.
Mudslinger, Doubter, Greylock, Slowevo, Silver Searcher, Evolution, BigWaveDave, Underminer, Thanks.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I missed your post. I believe that I got it confused with the follow-up find by Ekeisler with his 2 Reales find from a site that offered up an 8 Reales as well. Congrats on making the banner. That coin is so huge - I'm guessing you don't need to set your camera up for a super-macro with a big piece-of-eight. Fantastic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread