Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most of my posts this one starts the same....

Me and ZDD...
started out at 8:30 in hopes of finding something old. The first spot we went to looked good had promise, and was in a fairly good area, etc, but just didn't have it. Dave did get a clock gear there, I never dug a target. Dave got a 90's signal that I checked, and said "could be a 8 reale", turned out to be a brass ring. I said "one of these times it will be an 8 reale".

Next spot, we call "french hill" as Dave got a 1677 french silver there last year, conditions were good better than they had ever been, level, and short grass. I got a signal that was high 90's, but did bounce all the way up to 99 which almost always means junk on my Omega. Not suggesting that I wouldn't dig, because targets were not that plentyful. I dug a plug the depth of a small hand trowel of 4 -5 inches, the pin pointer said target still in there, so I just sifted through the loose dry dirt with my left gloved hand, and out came a BIG round disk. For a second I thought aluminium, because I was expecting JUNK, then I saw Carolus face (as blind as I am) Yeah Babby !

Wicked freekin awesome, I thought, 7 years, my first dollar sized coin, and still on my top ten list.

I wasn't shaking like a lot of people say, but I was at the same time pretty excited, and tried to shout to Dave...he wasn't hearing none of that, with headphones on, so I pretty much ran over to him, mentioning the "ring" he had found earlier. He said did you find another, I said, "well almost" I got him to take off his glove and close his eyes, and dropped it in his hand.

This has been a slow year for sure with the cold lasting so long, and then turning so hot so fast, bla, bla, bla.

Anyway this is a find that is / was still on my top ten list so I am very happy today with what I have found. I didn't even take a camera with me today as it was so hot I didn't want to carry any extra gear, so I had to keep it dirty till home for pictures then a water soak for 5 minutes revealed a pretty nice coin.

Yes we (I) did dig a few square nails, and one pewter button, the nails because of the spot being "nearly" hunted out, and so few targets left, but man am I glad we gave it one more shot.

GOOD LUCK OUT THERE !
Rick

Attachments

• find14-11a.JPG
    find14-11a.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 618
  • find14-11b.JPG
    find14-11b.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 531
  • find14-11c.JPG
    find14-11c.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 457
  • find14-11e.JPG
    find14-11e.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 606
  • find14-11f.JPG
    find14-11f.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 57

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone on here said they dig those by the shovel full down in Florida so I'm not really impressed........
Hey Joey, I think that person was digging in one of those treasure museums down there.:tongue3:
If Rick would just cut it into pie pieces he could have at least 8 silvers he could add to his count. What do ya think.:laughing7:
ZDD

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I saw this coin earlier and commented on it and what great condition it was in I decided I needed a 8 reale for my collection and impulse bought this one off eBay 5 minutes ago so indirectly you finding that coin just cost me a lot of money! Haha once again awesome find !

Attachments

• image-1778635831.jpg
    image-1778635831.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 94

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell yeah buddy! Great to see you post and really great to see that giant hunk of Spanish silver. Great job buddy

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy crap Rick a monster Spanish silver and certainly on my wish list
hats_off.gif

Look at the honker and grill on that dude..
amuse.gif

My banner vote is in..
You must be
canadian_flag-4156.gif

Blaze

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Well well well'

That is one heck of a find!
Nice coin there Rick, great to have a nice example for a first; well deserved and noteworthy

Congratulations on that one!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, I would like to join. Better yet, find a 1700s reale and join two clubs at once!

I always thought they were ugly and the means that the Spanish acquired them, but after seeing them all here, I am starting to really like them.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find. It's always nice to see such great finds so close to home. Glad you found it buddy! :)

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I would've been shaking. Congrats!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow thats a totally fabulous 8 there !!!!

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin. You did a great job on cleaning the dirt off. Did you just blast it under some water?

Thanks,

Well I often do a little more than just water, but no point in telling "some" people how I "ruined" my coin. (my coin, dirt found, not MS65 BTW)
I don't want to get into the cleaning debate...yet again.

If you're interested in cleaning dirty silver PM me. OR look for a post in cleaning and preserving cleaning salt water silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread