Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the spot that has produced so much copper and the number is now up to 62 after yesterday. Picked up a decent NJ for a ground find, a 1786 Maris 16-L. Although I'm not 100%, I believe the other copper is a toasted CT. The most prominent detail left is the word LIB. This would be part of INDE ET LIB on both CT's and VT's, but it appears more like a CT. Found a large flat button and my hopes were up as an inaugural button has come from this same site, but it's way to toasted to tell what it might have been. I found another piece that was bent that at first I thought was a flat button, but there is no evidence of a shank. It's about 1mm smaller than a typical colonial and very thin. It could be a very toasted Machin's piece or a counterfeit British halfpence, but I'll never know for sure.

nj obverse 8-18-14 reduced.jpg

nj reverse 8-18-14 reduced.jpg

find 8-18-14 a reduced.jpg

find 8-18-14 b reduced.jpg

find 8-18-14 a closeup.jpg

20140819_074212 reduced.jpg

Upvote 5

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you guys have the cool buttons and the old coppers, those must be a blast to dig

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Don. NJ are one of my favorite coins. Haven't had any luck finding them this year.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the state coppers! Great digs buddy! Must kill you wondering if that button could be a GW

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you guys have the cool buttons and the old coppers, those must be a blast to dig

They really are a blast to dig. Even though most of them don't have tremendous value, I rather dig old coppers than just about anything (except old silver 8-) )

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for the pics

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you on the LIB copper most likely a CT copper, not a VT, just based on odds. :) NJ and CT coppers seemed to be found at same site with some regularity, along with the counterfeit KGIII coppers, since all three were in the height of their circulation and usage about the same time frame. For my survey, your M.16-L, same county as your M.38-Y? Your 16-L is the 11th of that variety reported found in my survey and the first from NY state.
Don

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That surely is one prolific site. The best I've come across have produced between 10 and 20 coppers.
Sadly that is the way a lot of old copper comes out of the ground. At least you got one decent one.
I'll bet there are a couple left too.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Great finds! I'm with you nothing better than old coppers except old silver lol... Keep them coming

Don

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coppers! Couldn't imagine digging that many from one site. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread