Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they were on the beach in 12" of sand for any length of time they would be black if they were silver.

In the second pic and the edge pic, they sure look black to me. Hope they turn out to be real or at least a very valuable counterfeit.

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the second pic and the edge pic, they sure look black to me. Hope they turn out to be real or at least a very valuable counterfeit.

I hope for his sake there real..
Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow. .Will have fun no matter what we find..

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to tell but it looks like one of the coins in the original post is a 1635 which would be an entirely different coin than the one you posted. The coins were hammered in during this time so the planchet was usually not perfectly centered which would result in the uneven edges. I'm not saying these coins are real but they could be. Here is an example of one up close

yeah yours looks real - the ones posted up above starting this post look fake. Probably buried by some joker who likes to punk TH'ers. :)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you'd post close-up, head-on photos of these coins (obverse and reverse), I'm sure we could say beyond a shadow of a doubt whether they are real or fake. Most common spanish silver, if faked, is not a very good fake and very easy to tell as such.

-Buck

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to give credit where it's due and apologize when I'm wrong, and I'm wrong. I looked at the pic on a PC instead of my phone and now see the 1635. I could have sworn I had seen 1800's there before but I guess my eyes suck lol. Could very well be the real deal!!! Vino, please accept my apologies.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told you so, Haaaaaa

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to give credit where it's due and apologize when I'm wrong, and I'm wrong. I looked at the pic on a PC instead of my phone and now see the 1635. I could have sworn I had seen 1800's there before but I guess my eyes suck lol. Could very well be the real deal!!! Vino, please accept my apologies.

So if there real I guess you will be needing my address so u can ship the etrac? ? .lol.
George

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if there real I guess you will be needing my address so u can ship the etrac? ? .lol. George
You must be psyched about the new machine bud :-)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looks like a Crowned Shield (milled) check the diameter and wieght
Diameter: 40,00 mm
Weight: 27,07 gr

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahahahahaha. You wouldn't want that piece of garbage

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My take is that these are modern fakes. Any silver coin left in a salt water environment for 350+ years would either be heavily encrusted, have a heavy black tarnish, or would have that sandblasted look. I don't see any of those traits on this coin. And it looks like some of the silver gilt is wearing off in spots. I also see where both have off-center strikes, and if these are identical on both coins that might be another sign of a modern reproduction. I could be wrong, but it appears to me there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to these not being real(e). Hope I'm proved otherwise. Cool finds regardless.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah yours looks real - the ones posted up above starting this post look fake. Probably buried by some joker who likes to punk TH'ers. :)
But you should have seen how excited he was when he found these. Ok I guess I'll stop.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If fake, it is more likely that a tourist (read that as a kid) bought them at a souvenir shop and lost them while frolicking in the surf.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
My take is that these are modern fakes. Any silver coin left in a salt water environment for 350+ years would either be heavily encrusted, have a heavy black tarnish, or would have that sandblasted look. I don't see any of those traits on this coin. And it looks like some of the silver gilt is wearing off in spots. I also see where both have off-center strikes, and if these are identical on both coins that might be another sign of a modern reproduction. I could be wrong, but it appears to me there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to these not being real(e). Hope I'm proved otherwise. Cool finds regardless.
What I was trying to say but better said

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread