Connecticut Copper, 10 More Buttons, Nice Relics

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a strange day yesterday was. Got up at 4:30 and headed out with my canoe. It was an incredibly beautiful morning. For those who never see this time of day I took a couple pics. It's worth it to get up early....trust me
image.jpg
image.jpg
Got my canoe unloaded and headed out to the island. Hiked into my colonial hot spot and started swinging. Prob my 4th hole I'm digging some dirt out and felt a pinch on my wrist. I though I had thorn stuck in my glove but it turned out to be a yellow jacket. Got me twice on the wrist. I'm very allergic to these guys and my epipen was in my lunch box which I left at my job site. So I sat down and put some wet dirt on it and just relaxed for a bit. Usually I can take one or two stings without needing an emergency room. This is what my hand looked like about 8 hours after the sting. It was much bigger at one point. No fun
image.jpg
image.jpg
Finally to the finds. I found 10 more buttons today bringing the total from this site up to 25. Here's a couple pics of the nicer ones and a group pic of all of them together
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found my first Connecticut state copper as well. 1787
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found a nice little shoe buckle piece that perhaps went with one of the frames that I previously found out there
image.jpg
This tiny little silver spoon handle with letters scratched into it I perhaps my favorite find
image.jpg
image.jpg
This last piece I found on my walk back to the canoe. This spoon could prove to be significant if it's as old as I believe it may be. I know there was some mid to late 17th century activity out there and if this spoon is from that time period it may have given me the location of my next site to hunt. So I know some of you will know the age and let me know. Thanks in advance
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 18
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem.

I have a huge database of maker's marks and forms for American Coin Silver, many of which don't appear in books.

It wasn't unusual for smaller pieces like teaspoons to break at the mark (as yours did) otherwise I could tell you precisely who made it. I could probably give an educated guess even without a mark, if I had an approximate location.

I am in mid coast Maine

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another successful hunt! I'm so due to find a CT copper!

Your self-describing yourself as an idiot I will actually have to agree with for real if you don't better prepare yourself for your next hunt seeing that hand! And it was worse than that? Damn. It makes you wonder how many people are allergic but have never been stung and have no idea. A few more random placed stings and think you would likely make a good 1920s circus freak. :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats! Except for the little yellow guy! Beautiful sunrise pics too!

You should pack some Benadryl gel caps with your detecting stuff, if you forget the epi pen you have back up.
I had an anaphylactoid reaction so I carry Benadryl on me at all times the Epi-pen is too temp sensitive, so far Bees aren't my problem, an unknown lawn /pest chemical is!

Be careful out there, especially if your alone.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For your spoon, the most likely makers are:

John Butler, Portland 1760's
Paul Little (Sr & Jr), Portland 1760's 70's
John Butler Jr, Falmouth 1760's
James Dane, Flamouth 1760's

Nathan Adams, Wiscasset, 1760's to 1800's
Lebbeus Bailey, North Yarmouth 1760s to 1800s

The first group are silversmiths. The second group are clockmakers who are known to have made silver items routinely. The greater the distance from a large city, the more likely it was for a clockmaker to have multiple trades (like silversmith, jeweler, instrument maker, etc.)

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn nice finds Abe, love the pic of the sunrise,Abe don't forget your epipen next outing...

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For your spoon, the most likely makers are:

John Butler, Portland 1760's
Paul Little (Sr & Jr), Portland 1760's 70's
John Butler Jr, Falmouth 1760's
James Dane, Flamouth 1760's

Nathan Adams, Wiscasset, 1760's to 1800's
Lebbeus Bailey, North Yarmouth 1760s to 1800s

The first group are silversmiths. The second group are clockmakers who are known to have made silver items routinely. The greater the distance from a large city, the more likely it was for a clockmaker to have multiple trades (like silversmith, jeweler, instrument maker, etc.)
Great info! Much appreciated. Here's a few more I've found this first year. Found the history on the DN Dole spoon
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt.Besides your little yellow winged friend,that's what I call a good day.Man he swelled you up!Bee careful.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your spoon is old, I can't put an exact date on it but it is old! Your hand is about 38 years old and very big, you need to be careful while out on remote canoe trips!

All kidding aside, you did very well Abe, great finds, I really like the silver handle, I like all of those finds, congrats!
Thanks Brad! 1600s spoon is exciting. These 17th century sites are not easy to locate. I hope this is a good one

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful sunrise pics, Abe! I always said man cannot paint like God can! Sorry about those stings....be careful. You are definitely on a nice site with those finds. Your buttons seem to be in an amazing condition that I really like and admire. Keep on finding them so we can share!

Hey OD there's nothing comparable to Mother Nature! Seeing that sunrise made it a great day before it started.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds abe! Nicepics too I like your "mitt" holy crap bro be careful with them bees

Thanks buddy. Yeah me and the bees do not do well. Almost killed me in my early 20s. But as my friend says "too tough to die" or too numb :-) not sure which

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe, the ole hand looks rough. Might want to get an EpiPen. I know all those finds have to given you the "big head". One sting on the noggin and that already swollen appendage will be to large to walk with ha ha. You know I am just kidding. On to the finds, ....... Wow. You are killing me with the old dandy buttons and coppers. Way to go my friend. Will try to give you a shout this eve. Congrats

Mark
Thanks my friend. Luckily I've got a lil tiny head so it can swell a bit without tipping me over :-) I've heard rumor that you were born with one of those big ole Shrek Heads lol talk soon bud

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. That spoon is an older one. That hand looks pretty bad. It happened to me a few days ago digging in a dump. Had to strip down to nothing and ran like a mad man only to realize all my stuff was still in the pit. Hope ya find the other piece to that spoon on your next trip

Ha that is funny GL. Glad we don't have any pics of that lol. Hoping that spoon is the key to the 17th century site I've been hoping to find....not that I'm complaining bout the colonial stuff I'm on.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds amigo - Glad you survived that sting ! Is there a solution to the problem of how to keep the epi pen medicine from
getting over heated while in the field for hours ? (not trying to hijack the thread but this is an issue for me too - maybe many of us )
Don't worry bout hijacking buddy. These posts go where they go and this is an important topic. I have a fairly small little soft cooler. It has a separate upper pocket that I keep my epipen in. It is a pain to carry it around and I'm always forgetting it at job sites or in my truck. It has two small packs that stay cold for a very long time. It does suck to carry it along with everything else. But it's better than dying in the woods which I've almost done before

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds (as usual) and great pictures as well..... except for the two of your hand... Ouch! :censored: Glad you were able to finish the hunt and that you're alright. :thumbsup:

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first conn. copper! Awesome collection of buttons! HH! You better invite me along next time just incase them bees come back. Lol. Seriously, be careful out there digging all them treasures!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds (as usual) and great pictures as well..... except for the two of your hand... Ouch! :censored: Glad you were able to finish the hunt and that you're alright. :thumbsup:
Thanks Evo! It's amazing how bad it aches starting about 4 hours after the sting and lasting about 36 hours. Especially after trying to paddle against a 40 mph wind across the bay :-) sometimes there's a price to pay for the good stuff. Sometimes that price is a bit steeper than other times lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first conn. copper! Awesome collection of buttons! HH! You better invite me along next time just incase them bees come back. Lol. Seriously, be careful out there digging all them treasures!
I could use a good trained bee killer! I'd be happy to take you along. All I gotta do is outrun you right lol. This island continues to be very interesting and I may have just found the 17th century site I was looking for

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your hand, glad it wasn't too bad in looking at the big picture. From the looks of those great finds, it looks like you are on one of those dig every signal kind of sites. :thumbsup: Hopefully you end up with a few more goodies before you finish up there. :)

Yes it's a fun site with zero modern trash. My favorite kind

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread