Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the old park doing some digging before work today and was digging tons of pull tabs

This park has given up some silver an even a large cent to others in the last few weeks

I got a nice loud hit and dug about 4" down and out pops this ring

Seeing it all brown and green. My first thought was darn another junker. But man is it heavy. Around 15 grams heavy????

I got in to work and was cleaning it and noticed some gold showing on the side. And I figured it was a copper ring with gold plate and that was all the gold that was left

Just messing around I took the ring and scraped it on some unglazed ceramic and the green and brown disappeared. And this is what I saw

I have never seen gold tarnish as bad as this before. I mean it could have been in the ground for a long time as the park dates back to the 1600's. I have gotten it mostly clean and here is how it looks now. No markings but will test the karat when I get home

Any one have a guess on age or any clues about the design and yes I belive the diamond is real too. I wills update if it's real when I get home and test it

It is still not all the way clean but I'm getting there

I also found another wedding band at the same park yesterday and it looked the same way. I figured it was junk. But it could be gold as well!!! Need to do some cleaning tonight in it

I also dug my first clad 1$ coin right after the ring today. great day in the park for sure!!

Here is the ring from yesterday

And would someone please fix the mobile app to work with ios8. You can't start new threads :(

Upvote 8

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you just polished the Brass that its made of. Did it ring like a coin on your machine?

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you just polished the Brass that its made of. Did it ring like a coin on your machine?
No it rings as a 59-60. On my etp. Right where the other gold I found is. It is also very heavy. Actually a little heavier than the class ring I found a few months ago. I know brass is only half the weight of gold. So if it's brass it shouldn't weigh 14 grams. Also non magnetic. I will have the answer within the hour when I get home from work. I didn't think that gold tarnished at all but did some looking around and others have found gold items in the same condition

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/178190-can-old-deep-gold-get-tarnished.html

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=22134

Last edited:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is the case. I've never seen gold tarnish like that. Nice ring though.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you polished the brass or the green copper leaked through plating somehow... :icon_scratch: Anyway you slice it, I'm sorry to say its not gold. :dontknow: See the red on cleaned up photo, that's what tarnished copper does. ??? Gold will hardly ever do that. I think its more likely you'll get hit by lighting than you find a gold that will react that way... You'll get umm next time !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it rings as a 59-60. On my etp. Right where the other gold I found is. It is also very heavy. Actually a little heavier than the class ring I found a few months ago. I know brass is only half the weight of gold. So if it's brass it shouldn't weigh 14 grams. Also non magnetic. I will have the answer within the hour when I get home from work. I didn't think that gold tarnished at all but did some looking around and others have found gold items in the same condition

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/178190-can-old-deep-gold-get-tarnished.html

Does Gold Tarnish - Brown - Black etc? - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

I think that pos was concluded to be plated also.

I have dug gold out that wasnt super shiney, it was a 10k mens ring that came out of the hole looking like clean brass, but that was before i cleaned it...That ring you have shouldnt have Reds & Greens in the color.

If that were the real deal, that thing would polish up very easily and nicely.

Again, im not saying it ISNT gold, if it is, its probably below 10k

Best thing to do is get a gold test kit for like 15 bucks on Amazon

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that pos was concluded to be plated also. I have dug gold out that wasnt super shiney, it was a 10k mens ring that came out of the hole looking like clean brass, but that was before i cleaned it...That ring you have shouldnt have Reds & Greens in the color. If that were the real deal, that thing would polish up very easily and nicely. Again, im not saying it ISNT gold, if it is, its probably below 10k Best thing to do is get a gold test kit for like 15 bucks on Amazon

I have a test kit and just got home and tested. Using 10k acid the streak hung around for a long time but after about 5 minutes it disappeared. So either. 8k. Which is highly doubtful. So you guys are right. Probably brass

Both of the gold rings I found this summer came out shinny as can be. I have found a bunch of scrap rings before and it's always the same story. Gold on the inside and scrap
On the inside. This one threw me for a loop when the the green color disappeared and it was gold underneath

It made it even worse when I noticed it has been resized. You can see the solder spot on the band

Oh well maybe next time

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
still a nice ring and a ring is a ring find, always good, just some are worth a lot more than others. they can't all be gold or silver but when we find them, they sure are nice. keep pegging away, they will come. (still gets old digging the trash but I wouldn't have found the ones I have if I hadn't) GL & HH

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a test kit and just got home and tested. Using 10k acid the streak hung around for a long time but after about 5 minutes it disappeared. So either. 8k. Which is highly doubtful. So you guys are right. Probably brass

Both of the gold rings I found this summer came out shinny as can be. I have found a bunch of scrap rings before and it's always the same story. Gold on the inside and scrap
On the inside. This one threw me for a loop when the the green color disappeared and it was gold underneath

It made it even worse when I noticed it has been resized. You can see the solder spot on the band

Oh well maybe next time

That could be it man

My hunting buddy something similar to yours, it could just be low grade gold

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/387523-thought-junker.html

swolfe

Jul 8, 2012
Rockford Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Beep and Dig Harbor Freight 9 function detector.
Whites Coinmaster DB/4
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once found an 8k gold ring. I still have it... it's not yellow like 10k it's almost like a rose gold. It didn't have any tarnish or anything when I found it but it's not nearly as old as yours might be. Here's a pic of mine:

An interesting thing on your ring is that it looks like it has been welded (sized). There's a seam near your finger? That wouldn't be done to a brass ring normally. Acid test to know for sure, I'd guess that it isn't gold. Cool ring and unique style though! Test the stone too!

tuyo.JPG

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold or not it's still a cool find. Rings are always cool.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats!

I have a tiny pice of jewelry that did the same thing, I cleaned it up with brass polish but haven't tested it for gold yet.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a copper/brass/whatyamacallit ring that was once plated with gold or something that looks like it. I have found a few of these, if you scratch the shiny/gold part it will come right off.

Not exactly. This ring was just the opposite. I scratched the dirty brown tarnish off and revealed the "shiny" part

I believe the ring is solid brass I filed into it. And it is the same color the whole way through. Doing a 10k acid test and the streak hangs around for a bit but does eventually disappear. So either a very low karat gold (doubtful). Or it's solid brass

The place I cash gold in has an X-ray machine so next time I'm there I will have them check it

But for now it goes in the drawer labeled as Avery very old brass ring with a fake stone

Someone before noticed that yes it has been resized as well because I can see the solder mark

The other played ring I found at the same park 2 days ago was resized as well. Strange that someone spent the extra money on 2 different plated rings to have them resized

This is as cleaned up as I could get it and shows its true color a little better

Attachments

• image-2819296051.jpg
    image-2819296051.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very interesting, I hope I am wrong for your sake! What did you use to clean it? Now I am really curious to know what the heck its made of.

Crazy how gold it looks huh The weight is there also. It weighs around 14-15 grams

The class ring I found a few months back weighed 11-12 and was right about the same size. And from what I read. Brass weighs half as much as gold. So brass should be a lot lighter?

I cleaned it with tarn-x and a towel. Just kept dipping it and rubbing it I would love to know how old it really is

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice ring though. It will look good in a shadow box. You did a good job cleaning it up.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring though. It will look good in a shadow box. You did a good job cleaning it up.

Thanks bud

I will bring it with me Sunday so you can check it out in person

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the size and weight it SHOULD be gold; gold is very dense, a cubic meter weighing 19300 kg. By comparison, the density of lead is 11,340 kg/m3, and that of the densest element, osmium, is 22,588 ± 15 kg/m3. If it is not plated lead then it leaves very few suspects on the periodic table of what it could be... has to be gold, but what kind of soil it had to be to tarnish it that bad. What a head scratcher.

Since you have a really good handle on weights of metals. What about brass? From what I read. Brass is about half of the weight of gold? That is the only metal I know of that is conventionaly used in making jewlery that has the same look as gold

The dirt it was found in is a very very old park about 100 yards from where a carousel was in 1910-1930. Go gather back and a revolutionary fort sat there as well. This is one of those places that the dirt is literally black and you can tell the dirt is just very very old

Like I said earlier. A 10k class ring I found that was very similar in size weighed in around 12 grams. I really need to hit the gold place and have them X-ray it. Makes life so much simpler lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread