el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the desert is dry, but to find two wooden dominoes in a small Asian labor camp, on top of the ground, blew my mind. They are 132 years old!!! They were most likely from the game pai gow.

Yes I did find another very small railroad labor camp but unfortunately two roads had been cut through therefore displacing most of the goodies. Plus it being so close to the main road, I'm sure folks have walked through it in years past.

Also found some old buttons, four coins, damper bowl scraper (made from wire), broken needle, a cutting implement/knife (with Chinese charaters stamped on the back of it), opium can lids, and one fan tan game piece (made to resemble a Chinese coin).

Unfortunately the site played out real quick. I only had about six hours total in it from yesterday and today.

Thanks for looking,
Kinley

Four Asian coins (2 Chia-Ching, Tao-Kuang, Vietnamese Minh-Mang (5 pieces)
DSC03268.JPG

Buttons, small flower, Fan Tan game piece
DSC03269.JPG

Two Pai Gow wooden dominoes
DSC03270.JPG

Cutting implement
DSC03271.JPG

Back of cutting implement with Chinese Characters stamped in
DSC03272.JPG

Opium damper bowl cleaner and broken needle or awl
DSC03273.JPG

Two opium can lids with makers marks stamped in.
DSC03274.JPG

Upvote 20

tiburciovasquez

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds!!! and on top of that you know you have artifacts directly related to the people and the time period

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had many China towns in my town back in the 1880s to the 1910 era. Rumor around here is that they made underground tunnels underneath the town. The tunnels are truly there but whether or not the Chinese made them I don't know! The first Chinese president even visited. Unfortunately the China town was torn down in the 50's and I only was able to find one Chinese coin on the small patch of dirt lot that still remains. Lots of great history with the Chinese and the railroad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread