Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found another anchor button today but the condition of this one is better than most of the others. It has a lot of crust on it but I see the gilt still on underneath. I hunted a old cellar hole that the deed dates back to at least the 1830's. I'm sure there will be plenty more finds when the grass dies off. I also got some oxen shoes and axe heads today because all these military buckle finds etc. people on tnet have been digging lately has been making me want to check some bigger signals in these old spots. The button was around 4"inches deep under a flat stone beside the foundation. Thanks for looking! :)

image-2866859077.jpg

image-194973830.jpg

image-1841785101.jpg

image-473148208.jpg

image-3794654387.jpg

Upvote 7

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
That's fairly nice old one!

Not that bad for a couple of centuries in the ground at least

My personal opinion, that button would clean up fairly nice after a lemon juice bath, at least the corrosion would come off for the most part and it would bring up some of the remaining guilding
It's your button and you alone should decide whether or not to do anything to it , I do not advocate cleaning for the most part, but I do see some potential in yours being a bit better than the soil left it
A good find any day of the week

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I agree with IH.
Nice find, and "probably" in the 1912 era.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's fairly nice old one! Not that bad for a couple of centuries in the ground at least My personal opinion, that button would clean up fairly nice after a lemon juice bath, at least the corrosion would come off for the most part and it would bring up some of the remaining guilding It's your button and you alone should decide whether or not to do anything to it , I do not advocate cleaning for the most part, but I do see some potential in yours being a bit better than the soil left it A good find any day of the week
I have some other types of buttons with remaining gilt also that may do good with a lemon juice bath. I just never actually done it yet but seen some nice results from others doing it before. Any instructions for the lemon juice process that may help?

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Practice with the plain ones you have lying around and experiment with soak times and if you have an old soft toothbrush, or a new one, use it to gently brush away dirt with lj after a few minutes
some take only a few minutes, some more
once you see results on other buttons you don't mind cleaning , move on to ones you do care about more
rinse it off when reach the level of cleaning you are happy with
not every button turns out the same, so be aware if that

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
According to the following website, which I consider to be much more accurate that most others:
Diana's Buttons - Reference - British Navy Buttons
"When the [British] Merchant Navy started to use the fouled anchor design, a crown was added to all naval officers' buttons, starting in 1812. This same basic design remains in use today."

Your 1-piece brass British Navy button has three time-identifying characteristics:
1- no crown,
2-the anchor is shown inside an oval-shaped border (which Merchant Navy buttons never had),
3- it has a raised-lettering backmark.
That COMBINATION of characteristics means it dates from sometime between about 1790 and 1811.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to the following website, which I consider to be much more accurate that most others: Diana's Buttons - Reference - British Navy Buttons "When the [British] Merchant Navy started to use the fouled anchor design, a crown was added to all naval officers' buttons, starting in 1812. This same basic design remains in use today." Your 1-piece brass British Navy button has three time-identifying characteristics: 1- no crown, 2-the anchor is shown inside an oval-shaped border (which Merchant Navy buttons never had), 3- it has a raised-lettering backmark. That COMBINATION of characteristics means it dates from sometime between about 1790 and 1811.
Sweet info. Thanks! :)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button, I wouldn't bath it in lemon juice, it would be better to use a cotton bud with the lemon juice. Bathing it could strip it back to that awful purple colour.

SS

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice button, I wouldn't bath it in lemon juice, it would be better to use a cotton bud with the lemon juice. Bathing it could strip it back to that awful purple colour. SS
I prob would try the cotton idea to see what happens. Probably a dumb question but would you squeeze a real lemon or just buy one of those plastic lemons full of juice? Or will one work better than the other? I have never done it before! :)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a nice button, I like digging flat buttons almost as much as coins

almost

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prob would try the cotton idea to see what happens. Probably a dumb question but would you squeeze a real lemon or just buy one of those plastic lemons full of juice? Or will one work better than the other? I have never done it before! :)
I use both, all depends on what the wife has bought.:laughing7: If there is a heavy build up on the button (hard to see from pic) try using some olive oil, and a tooth pick.:thumbsup:

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a British Royal Navy Commissioned Officer button and dates 1787-1795.

Definitely worth cleaning.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's true it could change color a little, most likely brown and orange, but usually that's better than leaving them caked with crud, plus sometimes you get the surprise of seeing some gilt you had no idea was there. As for the process, it's an all of nothing deal... either drop it in the lemon, and brush it a little every few minutes and see how it goes, or leave it as is. It's not like tying to remove a stain from a silver coin where you can baby it. Either type of lemon will work fine... fresh, squeeze plastic juice, or bottled juice. I always have a bottle in my fridge. :)

ps: Want me to show you up again? ;) :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's true it could change color a little, most likely brown and orange, but usually that's better than leaving them caked with crud, plus sometimes you get the surprise of seeing some gilt you had no idea was there. As for the process, it's an all of nothing deal... either drop it in the lemon, and brush it a little every few minutes and see how it goes, or leave it as is. It's not like tying to remove a stain from a silver coin where you can baby it. Either type of lemon will work fine... fresh, squeeze plastic juice, or bottled juice. I always have a bottle in my fridge. :) ps: Want me to show you up again? ;) :laughing7:
Haha show me up. I'm use to it! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread