Victorian dump site=Found old ring help needed

peteacher37

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I stumbled into a Victorian dump site of sorts and found this ring along with a variety of relics such as pins, buttons, pocket watch, drawer pulls, etc. This ring has me stumped. Inside it has Stamped Made in Mexico with 2 small letters underneath. I can't really read them. I'm not sure what kind of metal it is but it appears to be coated in a very nice green finish. It is a very large size 10 ring with a very crude signet type plain design. I can't find anything similar on the internet. Any help on when this was made would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• ring 002.JPG
    ring 002.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 166
  • ring 004.JPG
    ring 004.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 165
  • ring 001.JPG
    ring 001.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 162
  • ring 003.JPG
    ring 003.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 3

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look right for Victorian, but could be wrong?

I expect it used to be gilt.

OP
OP
peteacher37

peteacher37

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking and the reply. I am only guessing Victorian because everything else in the area was from that period. Any guess on what type of metal? Coated stainless steel?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for looking and the reply. I am only guessing Victorian because everything else in the area was from that period. Any guess on what type of metal? Coated stainless steel?

I would guess that being the square design it might even be in the late sixties to early seventies, copper content for a base metal that had a wash on it, any ring still a cool find for sure.

The big thing is just because the majority of finds are from a certain era, doesn't mean that all items are from the same era. In one location produced modern to 1790 coinage, that being said the later predated the school site by a hundred years. So that gives the range of finds of 220 years for a school that operated for less than 70yrs.

When detecting over in England it just a total open book for finds, at one site the spread was 3300 yrs!

That's the whole point of this great hobby, one doesn't know what it is until it's unearthed.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it dates to the 40's. I don't really know the proper name for these rings but they are commonly called 'biker rings'. do an image search on google using the term '1940's mexican biker rings' and it will pull up pictures of lots of similar rings

OP
OP
peteacher37

peteacher37

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the responses. Is there an easy way to find out what type of metal it is? It is over 24 grams!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the responses. Is there an easy way to find out what type of metal it is? It is over 24 grams!

Clearly a copper-alloy, from the picture & looks very close to brass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread