Now Im an XP Deus believer

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Now I'm an XP Deus believer

I've had the Deus for a few weeks now and was starting to regret getting rid of my E Trac. Went to a small spot today I absolutely hammered with the E Trac. Found a 35 merc, war nickel, date less buffalo, about 1.20 in clad and a civil war button. I can't believe I missed this much in a 10 foot by 20 foot area.

Attachments

• 20141108_171717.jpg
    20141108_171717.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 20141108_165930.jpg
    20141108_165930.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 8

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2015 will be the year of the Deus for me (upgrade), so we will have the figures to sort this one out. I'm looking forward to the facts coming out of this one.

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is not true..if he had rotated 90 degrees he would have not heard it either...just try this test yourselves...you will learn more than you want to know about masking...if any of those detectors went in the test direction, they would have walked right over the masked target and never knew it was there! That is what detecorists are doing now...walking over good targets thinking they have cleaned a area out. That is why you can go back over an area and find more loot.... because of masking....

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is not true..if he had rotated 90 degrees he would have not heard it either...just try this test yourselves...you will learn more than you want to know about masking...if any of those detectors went in the test direction, they would have walked right over the masked target and never knew it was there! That is what detecorists are doing now...walking over good targets thinking they have cleaned a area out. That is why you can go back over an area and find more loot.... because of masking....

This certainly is true. It's been tested not just by me. The silver would be clear (with optimal settings). Must note that the user in the video does not use these. Also, orientation around the target makes a huge difference, not just one orientation which is shown in the video.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Please don't take this as a personal slam, ok- it's just I have some questions

I have no idea of what your or most of the other debaters qualifications are in regards to the CTX or the Dues is besides some video clip tests on the internet, or what amount personal knowledge of detecting.

So here it goes from my perspective of the air testing the video ,and that's what it is an air test. I know for a fact that the Minelabs hate air and that means freshly tilled fluffy soils, long grass, AIR! Taking a look at this video it's a simple fact that one detector can out perform another doing the test, and that's all it does it makes believers out of folks that look at things through a virtual world.

Now throw in the real world and what a machine can do in certain site, iron filled, wide open, the CTX sounds like a machine gun of tones going off, the swing time of the coil has to slow down to a crawl, sure the processor is faster than the previous models but there is limitations to everything. Reading reports on the Dues from folks that are comparing apples to apples are the ones that have sound merit, the early reports from them is positive, and the machine has some serious options to consider for any serious high end machine buyers, weight is the first thing that comes to me as a serious option. If I'm comfortable I'll hunt better, simple fact, than having a feeling of a knife being shoved between the shoulder blades from swinging the machine for 10hrs a day and doing this for days on end.

Learning a machine is one the biggest factors when it comes to any average hunter, slowing down, swinging the coil like a pancake instead of a banana, and putting in the time with the machine. This comes from swinging one of these inventions for 45yrs, putting in time on the machine and learning something new each time I go out. So still I know that there's a huge degree of learning a machine that I've used for 3.5 yrs and to accept the fact that there is no rhyme or reason I can hunt a site to death and still on another day pull keepers out with the same machine.

Is purchasing a Dues on the list of wants? The jury is still out on this one as there's chance if there's high positive reports from folks that I know and knowing that their views aren't changed because of the price tag, or brand loyalty, it's based on true in field workings of the machines regardless.

Now I'll duck :laughing7:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great response pepperj... I have been swinging since the late 70's... I hunt by sound, not by VDI numbers... I am happy when others do not truly understand masking or their machine :) :) More loot for us... :)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt by sound, not by VDI numbers

Sound is the key to all metal detectors. Master the different tones and you will find the good stuff. Spend your day looking at your screen and you will be wasting time and disappointed with the end results.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more note. When I detect in the woods along stone walls, I hunt in all metal mode and dig everything. I have NEVER dug up iron nails or relics and then magically found a coin or button in the same spot. So spending two grand or more so you can hear that coin or button next to or under iron seems like a HUGE waste of money to me.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2015 will be the year of the Deus for me (upgrade), so we will have the figures to sort this one out. I'm looking forward to the facts coming out of this one.
The facts are CRU (for us ) unless you have some joint problems like me, you won't find many other benefits, a bit more depth..yes.. and different search modes, the recovery speed is supposed to be a little faster (how many times have you needed that?)
For me if I could swing one for more than a hour, it would be one of the Minelabs... Explorer11.. or Etraq.

SS

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The facts are CRU (for us ) unless you have some joint problems like me, you won't find many other benefits, a bit more depth..yes.. and different search modes, the recovery speed is supposed to be a little faster (how many times have you needed that?)
For me if I could swing one for more than a hour, it would be one of the Minelabs... Explorer11.. or Etraq.

SS

Changing to a lower Freq after clearing out all the surface stuff in GMP mode is my general plan. More depth is what I need now at most sites & there is no way I'm swinging a minelab or Etraq for 500 hours a year, my back & arms are bad enough. (I switch arms as it is)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Changing to a lower Freq after clearing out all the surface stuff in GMP mode is my general plan. More depth is what I need now at most sites & there is no way I'm swinging a minelab or Etraq for 500 hours a year, my back & arms are bad enough. (I switch arms as it is)
Sounds like you have similar problems to me. The Relic mode might suit you, I use it on grass it seems to be a deeper search on compacted soil.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have similar problems to me. The Relic mode might suit you, I use it on grass it seems to be a deeper search on compacted soil.

SS

That is also what I'm hoping, that I can do just that, on all my non-ploughed grass fields.

Last edited:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ive owned the CTX for a year and a half and the XP DEUS for a month and a half. But I already know he DEUS works way better for me in old iron beds - no question. There doesnt appear to be much difference with depth. That said I notice the target numbers bounce all over the place on the DEUS. Glad I dig it all in the farm fields otherwise that would be a problem. One thing I like about the CTX (and the explorer I had) is I am able to set the response sound to smooth and get a remarkable amount of info about the size and shape of a target. So i find myself using the CTX everywhere but the nail beds and thats where I switch to the DEUS.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never used a CTX so I can't say the difference between it and the Deus but comparing the Deus to the E Trac I'd say they both have cons and pros. I don't care for the tones on the Deus and the it seems the vdi isn't as accurate. The E Trac is just to heavy and recovery speed is slow. I hear great things about the ctx and I believe these two machines would compliment each other very well.

We sound similar. Never used an ETRAC only an explorer SE but to me the CTX is just a greatly improved explorer SE (which sucked badly in iron beds). The CTX is a back breaker just ridiculously heavy but I use the pro swing harness sometimes to take the weight. ID with DEUS not very reliable. Tones not desirable but weight a dream. I use both now.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Having gone through the Minelab upgrade syndrome Explorer, SE, Etrac, CTX each have had a bonus in getting them and it seems the ergonomics of the CTX is the best, but still I truly believe that sometime in the future weight will be biggest downside to the model line especially where other models from competitors are coming in at half the weight which is a huge factor when swinging for long hours. I would love to get rid of the swingy cord crutch and still have a machine that will give me the results as the CTX has so far.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having gone through the Minelab upgrade syndrome Explorer, SE, Etrac, CTX each have had a bonus in getting them and it seems the ergonomics of the CTX is the best, but still I truly believe that sometime in the future weight will be biggest downside to the model line especially where other models from competitors are coming in at half the weight which is a huge factor when swinging for long hours. I would love to get rid of the swingy cord crutch and still have a machine that will give me the results as the CTX has so far.

If I swung any of those machines for as long as I have with others, I would no longer be detecting, so the answer for me is simple when you get a high performer with next to no wait. More importantly, we will have a years worth of GPS data to compare it to a lesser model & Dads Cortes. I will have the data to decide whether the investment was worth it. Although as its my first year learning curve you will need to make allowances.

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love My Deus, goes deep, it's light, picks up faint signals, and no wires/cords to get tangled in the briars

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread