Goodfer Token

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Braved the blustery 40°, rainy weather today. Ran 'til I could no longer squeeze to pinpoint. Picked up a nice token.

5CTokenF.jpg 5CTokenB.jpg

The Brusnwick Balke Collender Company apparently was a manufacturer of Billiards Tables. Lots of Good For 5 Cents tokens with this company's name on them but haven't been able to find an image of an exact duplicate.

110814Finds.jpg

Today's finds...

5 Cent "Good For" Token
1883 Indian Head Penny (slightly toasty). This is my 50th IHP on the year.:hello2:
1952-D Wheatback cent

PBS

Upvote 2

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Brunswick token! Yes, the BBC company did make pool tables, backbars, etc. and when they sold a pool or saloon "outfit", the buyer had the option of purchasing tokens from them as well. The tokens were probably sold at a good rate because the BBC company was able to put their advertising on the reverse. Unfortunately for us, that usually meant that there was no room to put the location of the business. There has been a lot of work done researching BBC (and their predecessor companies) tokens, but names like this one were pretty common, so nailing down a good attribution for many Brunswicks is tough. I'd encourage you to post your pics on TokenCatalog.com to let more folks have a shot at attributing it.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Brunswick token! Yes, the BBC company did make pool tables, backbars, etc. and when they sold a pool or saloon "outfit", the buyer had the option of purchasing tokens from them as well. The tokens were probably sold at a good rate because the BBC company was able to put their advertising on the reverse. Unfortunately for us, that usually meant that there was no room to put the location of the business. There has been a lot of work done researching BBC (and their predecessor companies) tokens, but names like this one were pretty common, so nailing down a good attribution for many Brunswicks is tough. I'd encourage you to post your pics on TokenCatalog.com to let more folks have a shot at attributing it.
John in the Great 208

Thanks for the info.

PBS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread