Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The year's winding down.

Today I managed a small hunt. The air was cold, some of the ground was frozen. I had to
pick my battles. Still, I managed a few keepers and enjoyed doing so. :)

Nothing to write home about, but able to write here. ;)

With each hunt I get closer to the time where all I do is research and watch M*A*S*H reruns. LOL

Here's the take:

2014 (911).jpg

2014 (912).jpg 2014 (914).jpg

Whole Wheat Toast

2014 (913).jpg 2014 (915).jpg

Actually landed a silver! :)

2014 (916).jpg

"Gold" :dontknow: ;)

2014 (917).jpg

Fishy has a new shiny, shiny button.

2014 (919).jpg

Blingy has a wonderful pin.

2014 (918).jpg

I don't know which will actually be the last hunt of the year for me.
But, if this one's it, at least I finished up patriotically. ;) LOL

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 10

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir, that's a great way to finish up if that's the case! Nothing wrong with a little wheat and war nick!

Those war nicks don't pop up all too often, great saves!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you were able to get out and get some keepers, things are melting here might get out for a night dig.
GL & HH!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We can't give up yet, think thaw. Nice diggs

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think if I could manage a war nickel, I could accept the last hunt of the year. With all the coins out there to be found, I don't know why I want that one, lol! If it is the end, it's a good one Gary.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool, a War nickle along with a USA bling pin! Its not over yet, I'm sure there will be a few warm snaps coming yet.
Nice finds, I'm with Dave, I love those War Nickles, the reason they were made is so cool. I was going through my pouch yesterday and found a 1946 nickle, almost!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if I could manage a war nickel, I could accept the last hunt of the year. With all the coins out there to be found, I don't know why I want that one, lol! If it is the end, it's a good one Gary.

Know what you mean. I almost always turn a little something special, every time out. Might not be much nor worth anything to anyone but me. But, special nonetheless.

I had people ask me, over the years, why I would spend sooooo many hours out there doing this. Did I expect to find a treasure chest and get rich? LOL

I usually just sluff off the question with an answer the audience can understand. I mean, if I wanted to get rich, buying a lottery ticket would be on a par with finding treasure. I show them some of the indian head cents, large cents, silver, three cent pieces, v-nickles or even flying eagle cents I've found. (and I've found more than my share.) But, they are almost always in a state of decomposition and not what one would want in a "coin collection".

I don't have the words to explain what it means to reach back and touch another's hand thru the coin they lost hundreds of years ago.

Would I want to find a treasure chest? Full of gold, silver, jewels? Yeah, I suppose I would, who wouldn't? BUT, I would want to find it
for very different reasons! Ya know?

Take care and keep swinging!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool, a War nickle along with a USA bling pin! Its not over yet, I'm sure there will be a few warm snaps coming yet.
Nice finds, I'm with Dave, I love those War Nickles, the reason they were made is so cool. I was going through my pouch yesterday and found a 1946 nickle, almost!

I've always been able to turn up War Nickles with some regularity. Wonder why they're so tough.

Anyway, thanks!

I kinda think I love that little pin more than Blingie does. LOL

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir, that's a great way to finish up if that's the case! Nothing wrong with a little wheat and war nick!

Those war nicks don't pop up all too often, great saves!

I've noticed an odd little quirk that seems to happen with the ATP. Dunno about other machines. When I get what turns out to be a war nickle, I get about the same signal every time. The numbers are just a bit jumpy but fairly consistent. From a nickel/tab up to around 70. But, the odd thing is that the iron audio also tries to get into the act. If I was just listening and not watching the numbers I would tend to think it was either a piece of iron or something in a hole with iron around. Not quite a low iron signal but just a hint.

If you look close on this coin you can see bits of iron rust. I'm wondering if the war nickle composition might tend to leach more iron from the ground over time.

Anyway, thanks! Was a fun hunt!

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Some nice finds- love those war nickels. Yes, the ground where I am will be frozen solid within the next 4/5 weeks or so, so I can empathize. Let the research for next year's hunting grounds begin!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed an odd little quirk that seems to happen with the ATP. Dunno about other machines. When I get what turns out to be a war nickle, I get about the same signal every time. The numbers are just a bit jumpy but fairly consistent. From a nickel/tab up to around 70. But, the odd thing is that the iron audio also tries to get into the act. If I was just listening and not watching the numbers I would tend to think it was either a piece of iron or something in a hole with iron around. Not quite a low iron signal but just a hint.

If you look close on this coin you can see bits of iron rust. I'm wondering if the war nickle composition might tend to leach more iron from the ground over time.

Anyway, thanks! Was a fun hunt!

Yes!, my war nickels this year all came in the range from 60 to 65, not consistent like a regular nickel and some of mine had that rust appearance to them, I won't say how many I found as not to upset dave lol:tongue3:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes!, my war nickels this year all came in the range from 60 to 65, not consistent like a regular nickel and some of mine had that rust appearance to them, I won't say how many I found as not to upset dave lol:tongue3:

Well, ya know, he keeps his discriminating ear tuned to ONLY things higher than a 75, right? ;)

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm like OD and will probably not dig any war nickels. Not that I wouldn't love to find one. I am just limited (bad knees) in the number of targets I can dig on an outing and would rather find silver as opposed to pull tabs. I do know the VID is higher based on the extra silver in them but just not high enough. Hope the weather warms back up for you guys up north and you get at least a few more good weeks of hunting in before it gets too cold.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds WHADIFIND yup the season is winding down with snow coming wednesday night into thursday about 10 inches or more dont look good for MDing MASH is my all time fav. show...:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions