jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
GOLD TREE

I canā€™t say I found this metal detecting, but I DID find it today at a local estate sale. The item is a treeā€“shaped object with acorns and leaves. Although itā€™s been chemically or otherwise darkened, if you rub the metal with a bit of silver polish, it becomes bright gold in color. That fact, plus the sheer weight of the object led me to believe that it just might be gold or gold vermeil. Sure enough, after testing it, it turned out to be 22 carat (to my amazement!)(P.S.--the lightened areas were already there as found--I chose not to polish the piece, but to leave it as original as possible)

At the base of the tree is a small gold plaque announcing a coupleā€™s fiftieth anniversary along with a list of their children. It is dated 1865. In my many years as an antiques collector, I have never seen anything like this item!
An internet search came up empty also.

If you have seen one of these ā€œtreesā€ or know of the purpose or use of it, PLEASE let me know ā€“ I would LOVE to find out something about it.
P.P.S.--On the underneath sides of the branches are small holes--possibly put there for casting, or...possibly to attach something to it--another mystery!!!

Thanks! Jack.

Attachments

• tree 1.JPG
    tree 1.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Tree 2.JPG
    Tree 2.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 330
  • Tree 3.JPG
    Tree 3.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Tree 4.JPG
    Tree 4.JPG
    516.7 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 5

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't clip it ! What can you ascertain that way that you could not by leaving it intact ? The same tests that you would
subject the smaller piece to , can be applied to the entire piece .

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
If the tree is hollow, it should be easy enough to check on the inside to see if it's plated or not without damaging the piece.
I agree, but because of the post you can't really get up inside it!

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Please don't clip it ! What can you ascertain that way that you could not by leaving it intact ? The same tests that you would
subject the smaller piece to , can be applied to the entire piece .

I'm afraid it's too late--BUT, I did find a portion of a leaf tucked away on the underside that had already been partially broken or clipped off. My "clip' makes the leaf appear to be whole again. I know this wasn't the right thing to do, but I truly believe if I didn't show it to someone, it would be extremely difficult for them to spot it at all.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding quite a unique piece!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread