VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doug & I teamed up with our friend Tenn. Digger (Donnie Vaughn) to search some late 1700s pioneer sites in Tennessee. Donnie has done extensive research on the area where we wanted to search and has documentation that a large Union camp was in the general vicinity. We had our usual fun time as you can see in the video but the lost Yankee camp is still lost-LOL.
Donnie’s best find was a brass Bullseye bridle rosette and this one had the attachment hook intact. He also dug a RR button, fired ball, watering bit, and part of an old clock. Doug recovered a 1917 Wheatie, eyeballed some 1700 period pottery chards (he always does), parasol tip, & a harmonica reed. I was lucky to dig another cut silver Spanish 8 Reale piece likely from the 1700s (no date this time), brass drawer pull, large brass watch key, & hoof pick.
Good weather, good friends, & decent finds made for a memorable day in the field. HH from Donnie, Doug, & Q.
When I dug the cut silver, I thought I was back in Louisiana with Buckleboy, Molly, & Shane-LOL.

Attachments

• DSCN1495.JPG
    DSCN1495.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
  • DSCN1497.JPG
    DSCN1497.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN1498.JPG
    DSCN1498.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN1499.JPG
    DSCN1499.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN1492.JPG
    DSCN1492.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
Upvote 30

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you got the "business" part of cut Silver, knowing for sure it is from a 8 Reale. I recently found my first cut piece and have no identifiers, but I love it just the same! Congrats on a great hunt and keep us posted when you do get on to the camp site!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's not much to say besides wow great cut spanish!
You guys find the stuff we all dream of!
Very envious frozen guy here up north!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt guys. Love those old hoes and that's a great looking slice of Spanish. It amazes me how many cut pieces are found down in your neighborhood and how few cut pieces there are here in the north

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cut piece Quindy - definitely the "find of the day" :occasion14:

I love digging those cut Spanish silvers, I think I have 17 now, but they are not nearly as common in your area.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
DMan.....you don't need us anyway, you have your new friend who knows all about it!
I have encouraged him to join Middle Tennessee Metal Detecting Club. He is coming to the next meeting to show you all how to metal detect. LOL

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
DMan....when is your relic book coming out??? Get your new friend to help you and show you what you are doing wrong! :laughing7:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and I really like the hoe. Have dug several of simuliar pattern out of Confederate breastworks in GA, seems they made a good entrenching tool too. Those could be dismounted from the pole and be used to cook Hoe Cakes on too when working out in the fields. The ones they make today are doing good to last 2 years in the garden. Those old timers had an eye for quality tools. Nice finds! Cheers!!

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still hoping for a cut piece of anything! Congrats!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and I really like the hoe. Have dug several of simuliar pattern out of Confederate breastworks in GA, seems they made a good entrenching tool too. Those could be dismounted from the pole and be used to cook Hoe Cakes on too when working out in the fields. The ones they make today are doing good to last 2 years in the garden. Those old timers had an eye for quality tools. Nice finds! Cheers!!

So THAT is where the term " hoecake " came from!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Q, I was just looking at the weather, looks like I can get out and the ground should be not froze, woo hoo!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG ya'll! Great day of hunting!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great day was had hunting with friends, good weather, and some good finds! Congrats on the cut Spanish silver Quindy!!

IM

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
BullsEyeRosette01.jpg
Here is the rosette cleaned up. It was in rough shape so I put a light coat of baby oil on it. Mine still has the brass attachment hook on it which is pretty rare (not bragging). I'm now sure that there is a camp nearby. Thanks for looking.

BullsEyeRosette02.jpg
Also a picture out of Charlie Harris's book.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool rosette! Yeah, how many are found with the attachment piece...not many!! Congrats tennessee digger!!!

IM

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Thanks Ironman....I would not have found it had it not have been for DMan. He eyeballed some old glass in a area that we hadn't searched yet (we were actually leaving) and I found it around there. Also dug an old pocket knife and a few other small pieces of brass.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats TD on your find. I look forward to the next post about this site. I am sure you and the Trio will find that camp. You guys are like hounds on a coon's trail when it comes to CW relics.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the interesting finds! I love the cut silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread