VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doug & I teamed up with our friend Tenn. Digger (Donnie Vaughn) to search some late 1700s pioneer sites in Tennessee. Donnie has done extensive research on the area where we wanted to search and has documentation that a large Union camp was in the general vicinity. We had our usual fun time as you can see in the video but the lost Yankee camp is still lost-LOL.
Donnie’s best find was a brass Bullseye bridle rosette and this one had the attachment hook intact. He also dug a RR button, fired ball, watering bit, and part of an old clock. Doug recovered a 1917 Wheatie, eyeballed some 1700 period pottery chards (he always does), parasol tip, & a harmonica reed. I was lucky to dig another cut silver Spanish 8 Reale piece likely from the 1700s (no date this time), brass drawer pull, large brass watch key, & hoof pick.
Good weather, good friends, & decent finds made for a memorable day in the field. HH from Donnie, Doug, & Q.
When I dug the cut silver, I thought I was back in Louisiana with Buckleboy, Molly, & Shane-LOL.

Attachments

• DSCN1495.JPG
    DSCN1495.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
  • DSCN1497.JPG
    DSCN1497.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN1498.JPG
    DSCN1498.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN1499.JPG
    DSCN1499.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN1492.JPG
    DSCN1492.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
Upvote 30

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good hunt, Mr Q. I live in a small town that sits between where Nick Adams was born and where he was buried. That hoe is in incredible shape. I found a hoe like it in very bad shape on a hilltop in Kentucky 2 years ago, and when I showed it to my Mother, she said they called them " eye " hoes. Have you ever heard them called that? Congrats on that silver. That has to be a rarity in Tn.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking piece of silver, congrats on the find.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Guys. Congrats on that piece of 8 Q. :occasion14: You should give that to Dman so he can buy himself a new Ho. He's got to be getting tired of those old Ho's. :laughing7:
Just kidding D. At your age, ANY ho is a good ho. :thumbsup:

Q-
Will you post Donnie's rosette once it is cleaned up?
Thanks and congrats,
MM

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic finds you guys come up with some good stuff!
Cut silver has some good detail on it.
Congrats on another fine hunt!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice 60 deg wedge Quindy!! I was attempting to narrow down the date of your cut piece. The "P" just to the right of "8R" is the first of 2 assayers' initials. Beginning in 1776 thru 1795, the joint assayers were shown as P-R on the coin. Between 1795 and 1805 it was P-P, and from 1803-1824 it was P-J. So your coin could be from any of those dates ranges. That's a pretty big window, but maybe its a little help. Again, very nice find!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Quindy.....I had a great time with you guys today. No, we didn't find the camp.....yet, but I do think that it's there somewhere. When you look at that stuff that I gave you, use a magnifying glass...lots of info. I think that the camp is west of where we were, towards the highway. Congrats on finding that cut silver Mill dollar, find of the day! We will have to do that again in the near future oh, and I love the intro song too!!!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice 60 deg wedge Quindy!! I was attempting to narrow down the date of your cut piece. The "P" just to the right of "8R" is the first of 2 assayers' initials. Beginning in 1776 thru 1795, the joint assayers were shown as P-R on the coin. Between 1795 and 1805 it was P-P, and from 1803-1824 it was P-J. So your coin could be from any of those dates ranges. That's a pretty big window, but maybe its a little help. Again, very nice find!
Thanks Bill. The only other one I dug here had "177?" on it and was half the size of this one. BB thought today's cut was probably 1700s. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quindy.....I had a great time with you guys today. No, we didn't find the camp.....yet, but I do think that it's there somewhere. When you look at that stuff that I gave you, use a magnifying glass...lots of info. I think that the camp is west of where we were, towards the highway. Congrats on finding that cut silver Mill dollar, find of the day! We will have to do that again in the near future oh, and I love the intro song too!!!
We had a ball as usual Donnie. MM wants a pic of your rosette cleaned up. Can you get Julia to make a pic of both sides and add it to this post? Rare to dig one with the attachment loop wire intact. HH, Q.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Quindy.....will do tomorrow. It's bent you know but I'll take it. Maybe you should also show it to DMan's new buddy too. I'll bet that he would know all about it.:laughing7: :laughing9:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is no telling what the poster above me means about DMan's new friend (I'm sure there's a good story there and I hope it wasn't a bull) but looks like ya'll had a pretty good day of relic hunting. Quindy that little piece of silver had to be pretty hard to find in all that land and so old to boot,congrats my friend and Donnie,that rosette is as sweet as your Julia. Dman I have seen those parasol parts in many a relic case but never dug one,I like that. Loving the old key and the hoe too,the one I found once was the same shape,same field I dug that Coloniall strap guide in.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Thanks Nancy, we walked a long way today and spot checked a few places, I'm sure that we probably missed a few old house sites and no telling what else. I can't talk about DMan's new friend. Quindy is getting pretty good with that upgraded F-75 too. I dug enough deep iron today to build a battle ship oh. and DMan found a model A or maybe model T Ford wheel hub cap....actually a pretty good find....I think it's Confederate, not sure. :toothy2:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! 1700 was just a guess, but like Bill D says, any of those dates is accurate. You may be able to compare the style of engraving on the word "GRATIA" and narrow it down.

So now that you've got a nice piece of 8, can you afford to get Dman a new heater in his truck?

:laughing7:

That bullseye rosette is a find that has been on my list for years. Would LOVE to find one of those, and the attachment on the back is an added bonus!

Congrats on a great day,

Buck

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is no telling what the poster above me means about DMan's new friend (I'm sure there's a good story there and I hope it wasn't a bull) but looks like ya'll had a pretty good day of relic hunting. Quindy that little piece of silver had to be pretty hard to find in all that land and so old to boot,congrats my friend and Donnie,that rosette is as sweet as your Julia. Dman I have seen those parasol parts in many a relic case but never dug one,I like that. Loving the old key and the hoe too,the one I found once was the same shape,same field I dug that Coloniall strap guide in.
Nancy, it wasn't a bull but he's full of it-LOL. Just ask Donnie. Thanks, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very good hunt, Mr Q. I live in a small town that sits between where Nick Adams was born and where he was buried. That hoe is in incredible shape. I found a hoe like it in very bad shape on a hilltop in Kentucky 2 years ago, and when I showed it to my Mother, she said they called them " eye " hoes. Have you ever heard them called that? Congrats on that silver. That has to be a rarity in Tn.
Never heard that OD. What a coincidence that Nick Adams was from your area. You have to be hunting in one of the earliest settled Tennessee areas to find Reales. HH, Q.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the silver...still holding out for a cut piece myself...great saves..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions