2.5 hour hunt, silver shoe buckle and coin spill (very long post)

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,

I had a great 2.5 hour hunt. After a day of traveling basketball for my daughter we got home around 4:30. By 5:00 I was back at the tree farm as it is only 5 minutes from my house. I stopped in and showed the owner and his wife my previous days finds. (my last post). They were quite happy to see the finds and offered up more information about what he thought the area I was hunting in may have been back in the 1700's. By the time I got done speaking with them the drizzle started to fall. I was determined to get a bit of sanity time and decided to hunt anyway.

The hunt was not very good to start, all iron and some junk. After about a 1/2 hour I hit a modern coin spill to the tune of 3 quarters, a nickle, and 4 pennys about 5" deep and all from the 1970's. I figure they were dropped about 20 years ago. Next came my best find of several years. I got a nice silver/coin hit. I figured a nice copper disk was going to come out. Instead, at about 6 inches deep came the most beautiful silver shoe buckle that I have ever seen. I saw the chape and knew right away that it was 1600-1700 vintage. I did not remove any of the caked on mud in fear that it may fall apart in my pouch. It went home as is.

My next find was a nice lead ball, then a copper at 8" deep (totally flat disk), then another lead ball and in the same hole as the lead ball came a really pretty little flower button and then a 13 bar button. Those must be common around here as this is the 5th one I have found in a two square mile area. Next came another copper. This one just about a flat disk but enough detail to just make out the reverse. It's a King George style but abosolutely no way to tell the year or any detail on the obverse.

This is the best hunt I have has since last year at the Civil War site where I found a ton of buckles. (soon to hit that area again in hopes of a few leftovers washed in from the floods last week)

The silver buckle cleaned up nice in soap and water. The chape moves but the spike does not. I don't want to force it and break it so it will remain as is. According to searches on buckles that I have found this style chape was made between 1660 and 1725 and by 1750 was not in existence. This makes sense according to the area I found it in. The original garrison was built in 1650 (long gone now). Another house on this property was built in 1760 and moved 1/4 mile away in the 1800's. The owners house was built in 1780 something. This is by far the best and oldest buckle I have found to date.

I also found a few whats'its. An iron piece, a piece with scrolling and a tiny button shank. I'm really pleased with the small items that my detector will actually lock onto. Thanks for looking.

group shot before cleaning
silver buckle before cleaning
group shot after cleaning
nice old pewter flat button
tiny button shank
small flower button
13 bar button
iron whats'it
scrolled whats'it
silver shoe buckle

Attachments

• Dsc03000.jpg
    Dsc03000.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 654
  • Dsc03018.jpg
    Dsc03018.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 644
  • Dsc03017.jpg
    Dsc03017.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 661
  • Dsc03016.jpg
    Dsc03016.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 655
  • Dsc03001.jpg
    Dsc03001.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 691
  • Dsc03003.jpg
    Dsc03003.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 656
  • Dsc03007.jpg
    Dsc03007.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 674
  • Dsc03008.jpg
    Dsc03008.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 642
  • Dsc03009.jpg
    Dsc03009.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 694
  • Dsc03010.jpg
    Dsc03010.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 656
  • Dsc03011.jpg
    Dsc03011.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 658
  • Dsc03014.jpg
    Dsc03014.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 653
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet stuff!i 8) killer buckle
side note the iron WI is a link from a bailer chain ;)

ssehunter

Greenie
Dec 19, 2006
Great finds. It looks as if that small triangular metal object is a Trade point(Arrowhead). These were traded in the 16 & 1700's.

SSE Hunter

SeattleALE

Apr 16, 2007
Seattle Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II and Excalibor
Wow! What a fun site to hunt! Even the trash is fascinating! That buckle is very cool. Can't imagine fancy shoes like those were very commonly warn. Great day! HH

Scratch

Aug 29, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
The curved, scrolled piece reminds me of the sideplate from a flintlock. The curved opening (at the end of your thumb in the photo) may have accommodated the shaft of the flint cock.
Great finds, Ed!

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Eddekalb: - thank you for the id on my iron bailer hook!

ssehunter: - I almost did not keep that triangle piece. I will post a close up of it for you to better identify. It has what appears to be two small holes around the outer edge of it.

seattleale: - I am told that the buckle could be a knee breeches buckle. It's hard to tell if shoe or breeches because this one is a bit smaller that the normal knee breeches

timbuckII: bobbydo: scratch: - that peice reminded me of something from a gun. It is farily rigid and won't bend. It seems corroded as what a large copper would do. I'll post a couple more close ups for you. It is broken on one end which makes it look like a bottle opener

folkert: - no makers mark whatsoever on it, could it be an alloy and not all silver? It feels smooth and heavy just like silver does.

SIDE NOTE:

I was psyched when I pulled that buckle out. It was in the mud that I was detecting in. A spot off from the normal garden that I hunt. The closer to that end of the garden, the more stuff I was finding so I ventured out into the muddy trail that he made with his tractor to get around the outside of the garden. I knew right away by seeing the chape that it was very old. The heavy feel of silver made me very happy. I've only seen them in books and dreamed of finding one someday. The find of a lifetime I would imagine. The owners will love to see these finds. Each time I hunt I bring the previous finds with me to show them. Super nice folks they are. I even offered up the silver ring I found out there and she did not want to take anything.

One house (long gone) was a garrison built in 1655. Two others in the 1750 - 1780 ranges. I am hoping that there was some wealth in the area. Four coppers, two beautiful 1756-1777 brass knee breeches buckles and one silver buckle have all come out of this site. It could prove to be interesting finds over the next few years.

The area where I have been finding this stuff is right near the edge of the owners property and may well extend onto his neighbors property over the stone wall. He told me that the other house is somewhere in his neighbors woods and was moved to it's current location near the highway. I am going to try and get permission to find where the other 1760 house sat on his neighbors property and detect the cellar hole and surrounding areas. That house was moved closer to the highway and is owned by his neighbor. The woods between where I found this buckle and his neighbor could hold some really nice pieces if I can get permission to go out there.

Attachments

• Dsc03014.jpg
    Dsc03014.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 511
  • Dsc03012.jpg
    Dsc03012.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 491
  • Dsc03013.jpg
    Dsc03013.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 493
  • Dsc03014.jpg
    Dsc03014.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 483
OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
ssehunter said:
Great finds. It looks as if that small triangular metal object is a Trade point(Arrowhead). These were traded in the 16 & 1700's.

SSE Hunter

SSE Hunter, here are some closeup shots of that triangular piece. It is paper thin but very stiff and tough. I would not want to try and bend it.

Attachments

• Dsc03019.jpg
    Dsc03019.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 413
  • Dsc03020.jpg
    Dsc03020.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Dsc03021.jpg
    Dsc03021.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Dsc03022.jpg
    Dsc03022.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 407

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Beautiful buckle!!

looks like a very productive day to me!! Congrats!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! I can only dream of a site like yours. Congrats and good luck finding more. If you get tired and need help searching let me know. ;D ;D ;D I just had to say it.
Burdie

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Dang Ed, you really pull out the buckles. How many does that make now ? First silver one ?

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Gribnitz said:
Dang Ed, you really pull out the buckles. How many does that make now ? First silver one ?

Hi Grib,

Yes this is the first silver buckle I have ever found. I have found three buckles and one 1800's suspender clip so far this spring. I hope to stay on a roll this year. In total I have found over 60 buckles and suspender clips over the years. All of them are in my little display cases that I made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions