Somethin Was Goin on In My Yard... ANOTHER Civil War Find & Mystery....

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somethin' Was Goin' on In My Yard... ANOTHER Civil War Find & Mystery....

For those of you who find gold and silver coins all the time, I'm sure this is not that exciting. But it is truly exciting to me... so much so that I cracked open a beer while I did a little more hunting.

I did a morning hunt (no beer) and a quick evening hunt, just before dark.

The morning dig produced so much iron in one hole that I almost stopped because I needed to get back to work. There were so many nails and chunks of iron that I didn't bring it all in. Most of it is still in a bucket outside.

The morning did produce a nice little military truck, circa 1959, made in England. I also found what I thought was a tab but noticed some writing on it. It's a tag of some sort, not sure what exactly.

FullSizeRender-15.jpg FullSizeRender-16.jpg

After the Iron Fest... I did a last minute hunt and within 10 minutes dug a CW bullet that was only about 6 inches deep. The bullet is sliced in half. Where's the other half?

IMG_2864.jpg IMG_2865.jpg

I found this one only 10 feet from a 3-ring that I found a couple of weeks ago. The two bullets are very different.

IMG_2443.JPG

When you look at them side-by-side, you can see the difference. There is a significant difference in weight as well.

IMG_2874-2.JPG IMG_2447.jpg

What type of bullet is the one that is split in half? Anyone know? What does that mean when there are two different bullets found so close together? :icon_scratch: I know what it means on a battlefield but as far as I know, my yard only saw camps and Union soldiers passing on the military road next to our land. Still learning... and loving every minute of it. :icon_thumleft:

Also found some pennies, including a 1930 Wheat and an interesting piece, not sure what it is.

IMG_2867.jpg FullSizeRender-14.jpg IMG_2814.jpg

Upvote 4

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your tag is some kind of bird tag.Can you put something next to your whatsit for size reference (dime penny or quarter)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes when they camped they might fire the rifle to see if the load they were carrying was any good. Often soldiers if safe might fire into an area to test that what they had been carrying and through and see if they kept their powder dry. They did not always worm out a bullet unless it got stuck when ramming it in or had multiple misfires,,, they fired it. A rock can shear a bullet in half especially chert. I would suggest digging every target at this point and their may be more finds below the iron. If the bullet is whole but mushroomed weigh it could be say a .69 cal. One looks to be a sheared of colt pistol bullet. I am still learning on bullets and maybe some one more knowledgable can give you some more better advice!
Good luck!
HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes when they camped they might fire the rifle to see if the load they were carrying was any good. Often soldiers if safe might fire into an area to test that what they had been carrying and through and see if they kept their powder dry. They did not always worm out a bullet unless it got stuck when ramming it in or had multiple misfires,,, they fired it. A rock can shear a bullet in half especially chert. I would suggest digging every target at this point and their may be more finds below the iron. If the bullet is whole but mushroomed weigh it could be say a .69 cal. One looks to be a sheared of colt pistol bullet. I am still learning on bullets and maybe some one more knowledgable can give you some more better advice!
Good luck!
HH

After I found iron grapeshot, I have started digging everything. It's a little exhausting but worth it I think. I've even had to buy more buckets! Thanks for the info!

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small threaded cap looks like a valve stem cover.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that BOTB is correct with bird band. Aluminum and should have contact info on it, to report where the bird was harvested. Very nice CW finds. Congrats. GL&HH.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Carolina Tom and Back-of-the-boat, I never would have imagined a bird tag. I took better pics and will post later today. Very interesting! Thanks for looking. ; )

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very first thought was bird tag, then I saw others have posted that as well. diggin in a spot like that someone surely had to drop a coin or two. It took me a year to clean out all the nails and iron in my yard, then I started finding the really cool stuff.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here are more photos and more mystery. The split bullet that I found yesterday, near a high impact three ring may have some connection. When I found the 3 ring, I also found a piece that looks like the other half of the split bullet but it's not, it's not lead. There was also burnt square piece of the same material, again, not lead. Along with the 3-ring was a tear drop shaped piece that I think is bone (tongue sticks to it -- gross, I know). The burnt shape in the middle is the same shape as the split bullet.

IMG_2890.jpg IMG_2892.jpg IMG_2884.jpg

I know its possible that none of these are related but it just seems odd.

Here are photos of the "bird tag" and what Sleepy says might be a valve cover. Thanks again for looking!

IMG_2886.jpg IMG_2887.jpg IMG_2893.jpg IMG_2894.jpg

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't make out too much on the tag, but if the letters on the bottom are B. S. G. it might stand for Bird Study Group.

And Sleepy is right. That is a valve stem cover for a tire.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This bird tag is fascinating. Apparently, migratory bird studies were started in 1952. The bottom 3 letters, I believe, are P.S.G. Which would be the
Pacific Seabird Group-- They did participate in the study. Thanks for all of the tips!!! Fun, fun, fun. ; )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread